Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.
With two kids (and another on the way), a growing blog and business, and a busy entrepreneur for a husband, I am all about easy, healthy, gluten-free dinners. It’s not always that straightforward when it comes to living a gluten-free and dairy-free lifestyle. Not to mention, Pete and the kids are meat-eaters and I’m a vegetarian. But trust me, where there’s a will, there’s a way. And I am dedicated to making sure my family and I eat healthy. It’s my number one priority.
I find making veggie burgers and recipes like these Falafel Bites to be really easy, and perfect for weekday nights. It just takes a little advance planning and a good food processor (you could use your blender too). Plus, if the kiddies decide to turn their noses up at my meatless dinner, we can easily fill a gluten-free tortilla with peanut butter and banana and load their plate with fresh fruit and veggies. Callum’s pretty good about trying my creations and he even sheepishly admits that he likes them sometimes. Like he did with this recipe, score!
We served these Gluten-Free and Vegan Falafel Bites with gluten-free tortillas, but Pete and I also really like ours with a seasonal salad topped with one of our favorite salad dressings.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Falafel Bites
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup packed kale
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or lightly oil.
2. Pulse all ingredients in food processor until a ball begins to form. Add a little olive oil if it seems too dry (1/2 tablespoon at a time).
3. Using a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop mixture into balls and place on prepared baking sheet.
4. Lightly press each chickpea falafel bite with the palm of your hand or a spoon.
5. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes and then flip over each bite and continue baking for another 10 minutes, till golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and serve on a gluten-free tortilla with Vegenaise or this recipe for our favorite Cashew Cream , greens, sprouts, and avocado.
Yield: 16-18 bites