I am a huge fan of guacamole. I would happily eat it every day (with a spoon or a cracker, but especially on a corn chip from our local Mexican restaurant).
Sadly though, corn and I don’t get along very well. Which I am okay with most of the time (except when we go to that local Mexican restaurant, then I give in).
At home, it’s much easier to avoid corn. We don’t eat many packaged foods, so we don’t get it there. If I do buy corn, I make sure it’s organic and preferably local so I can chat with the farmer. That way I know it’s free of pesticides and it’s hopefully not genetically modified.
But every now and then, a girl wants some crunchy chips to go with her guacamole! That’s where these Homemade Gluten-Free Tortilla Chips come in to play. They’re corn-free too! And my kids love them as much as we do! I haven’t put them in their lunchboxes yet, Callum is at that stage where he wants his lunch to look like everyone else’s lunch.
That will pass, right?
Homemade Tortilla Chips
Inspired by our friend Lisa K. Thanks Lisa!
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ teaspoon paprika
¾ teaspoon sea salt
3-4 gluten-free, corn-free tortillas, depending on size
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, paprika, and sea salt.
- Grease a large baking sheet with oil, paprika, and salt mixture.
- Cut tortillas in half and then into strips – or chip-sized pieces.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and brush each chip with the remainder of the oil, paprika, and salt mixture.
- Bake for 8- 10 minutes or until crisp – watch them as they can easily burn.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 servings
I am reading an amazing book right now – it’s called Allergies: Disease in Disguise : How to Heal Your Allergic Condition Permanently and Naturally by Carolee Bateson-Koch DC ND. If you’re living with allergies, or you know someone who is, you MUST grab a copy of this book!
Have you noticed that healthy gluten-free products can be hard to come by?
Thankfully we have companies like Enerjive – their crackers were created by two Canadian women who were also looking for healthy (and tasty) gluten-free products.
Have you tried them yet?
I am excited to share Enerjive Crackers with you – they’re delicious and nutritious. My favorite combo in the gluten-free world.
“Creating food that is delicious and prepared using wholesome and clean ingredients is imperative to us. We take pride in providing healthy, gluten-free options to our consumers.”
Don’t you just love that? I certainly do. We need more companies with this same kind of commitment to healthy gluten-free foods.
So what else do I LOVE about Enerjive Crackers?
- they come in 6 amazing flavors (Garlic Cayenne Heat, Rock Salt Crave, Chocolate Fix, Lemon Berry Burst, Cozy Apple Cinnamon, and their newest one, Italian Bella),
- they use healthy whole grain gluten-free ingredients (quinoa seeds, quinoa flakes, buckwheat flour, hulled millet, sunflower seeds),
- they’re lightly sweetened with honey,
- they’re super crunchy,
- they look fabulous beside a bowl of pesto or hummus; I just love the artisanal look to them.
My favorite cracker (it was really hard to choose just one) was the Cayenne Heat. A close second was the Rock Salt Crave (I’m a salt lover). My kids liked the Cozy Apple Cinnamon and Chocolate Fix of course (dunked in peanut butter, oh yum). Did I mention there’s mini chocolate chips in the Chocolate Fix? Oh yes there are!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED. WINNERS HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY EMAIL.
To enter, do one or all of the following. Leave a comment for each entry.
1. What is your favorite cracker topping?
2. Follow Enerjive on Facebook.
3. Follow She Let Them Eat Cake on Facebook.
Giveaway is open until Wednesday, May 15th, 2013, midnight EST.
Contest is open to readers in the United States and Canada. Must be 18 or older to enter.
Winners will be chosen using random.org and contacted via email.
Disclaimer: Enerjive gave me some crackers to try and to review. The opinions expressed above are my own.