Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.
Every time I hit up the grocery store, there are more and more gluten-free products on the market. It’s pretty amazing and it’s certainly making gluten-free living a lot more convenient for families like mine.
Convenience was almost impossible nine years ago when Pete was diagnosed with celiac. Let me tell you, the bread was literally cardboard, my baked goods made great hockey pucks, and the pasta was hard to come by, not to mention chewy and bland!
Here in Canada we have some great gluten-free pastas on the market. Most recently, a well-known pasta brand, Catelli, launched a line and we’ve been lucky enough to try it.
Catelli’s gluten-free pasta line includes penne, spaghetti, and fusilli. It’s also produced in a dedicated gluten-free facility and certified by the Canadian Celiac Association’s Gluten-Free Certification Program.
The kids love the texture, and so did the rest of my taste-testers who were happy to try the Fusilli Stuffed Acorn Squash.
Catelli asked me to make some of their gluten-free and vegetarian recipes to share with you. This recipe for Fusilli Stuffed Acorn Squash was one of my favorites – I love the idea of using the pasta as a stuffing for the roasted squash. Talk about comfort food. Plus, I think it would make a great main dish for the vegetarians at your holiday table.
What I love about this recipe is how easy it is. And you can totally make it in stages to make holiday entertaining easier. I’m all about making holiday entertaining easier, aren’t you?
Gluten-Free and Vegan Fusilli Stuffed Acorn Squash
This deliciously sweet and savoury pasta toss is served in its own edible bowl for an impressive dish to serve vegetarian friends or to simply bring new life to meatless Mondays.
- 2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) each maple syrup and lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced sweet onion (about 1 large)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth (gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 pkg (340 g) Catelli gluten-free pasta
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby arugula or kale
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded radicchio (optional)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted slivered almonds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Arrange squash halves, cut-side-up on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2. Blend maple syrup with lemon juice. Brush 1 tablespoon syrup mixture over the squash; reserve remaining syrup mixture. Roast squash for 1 hour or until fork tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add onion and remaining salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally for 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Stir in garlic and reserved syrup mixture; increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until onions are well caramelized.
5. Stir in broth and sun-dried tomatoes, scrapping up the browned bits from bottom of skillet. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
6. Meanwhile, cook fusilli in a large pot of boiling salted water for 7 minutes, or until it reaches desired texture. Drain and rinse.
7. Toss hot fusilli with onion mixture, kale and radicchio (if using). Spoon fusilli mixture into squash “bowls” and sprinkle with almonds (if using) to serve.
Per serving (about 1/2 squash with 1 1/2 cups/375 mL pasta):
549 calories, 11 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 108 g carbohydrate s, 8 g fibre, 10 g sugars, 10 g protein. Excellent source of thiamin, folate, vitamin C and magnesium. Good source of iron.
Click here to get a coupon for $1.00 off a box of Catelli gluten-free pasta (offer valid in Canada only).
Would you like to win a year’s supply of Catelli gluten-free pasta? Yup, one whole year! If so, simply tell me what your favorite pasta dish is – leave a note in the comments.
Contest closes: Friday, December 13th (let’s make it a lucky day)
Open to Canadian residents only.
Winner must be 18 years of age or older.
Styling by Burrow Home and Photography my Jen Moore Photography