Banana Oat Muffins

by Maggie on March 18, 2014

banana oat muffins

I have always been a huge muffin lover. When I was in Teacher’s College I used to buy a coffee and a muffin (almost as big as my face) at the campus café. It was total heaven on earth. There was another café near my practice teaching school (on the east side of Vancouver) and they sold muffin tops, and the best coffee. I’m not kidding, the best muffin tops in the world.  Who doesn’t love a muffin top, as long as it’s on a muffin and not a waist!

These Banana Oat Muffins are pretty darn satisfying too (minus the ginormous serving size).  In fact, Livvie loves these banana muffins and she even lets me put them in her lunchbox! So people, if Livvie loves these, you will too!  Liv wants me to ice these babies, but that makes them banana cupcakes, doesn’t it? I told her I’d make banana cupcakes for her birthday.

Make sure you use certified gluten free oats for this recipe. I make my own oat flour (it literally takes seconds) using my Blendtec . But you could also use a coffee grinder. We’ve been going through a lot of oat flour lately. Seems to be my new favorite flour.  We’ve used Creamhill Estates in the past, but Pete was noticing a reaction so we switched to Only Oats and he’s totally fine.

Did you know it’s March Muffin Madness at Gluten-Free Easily? Shirley’s giving away a Blendtec! You could grind your own oat flour too, so make sure you hop over and enter. I’ll be sharing another muffin recipe at Gluten-Free Easily on March 27th. I know you’ll like this one too. A little less sugar, and a few more oats (and some raspberries)!

banana oat muffins 2

Gluten-Free Banana Oat Muffins

1 ¼ cup oat flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground organic cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon psyllium seed husks
2 and 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed combined with 3 tbsp of warm water
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (approximately 1 and a half large bananas or two medium sized) mash with a tablespoon water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners or wipe with oil to prevent sticking.
2. Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt, and psyllium seed husks in a medium-sized bowl.
3. In a small bowl combine the ground flax with the 3 tablespoons of warm water.
4. In the bowl of your mixer combine melted coconut oil, ground flax mixture, vanilla, and sugar. Mix on medium speed until well combined.
5. Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the mashed banana, to the wet ingredients.
6. Bake regular-sized muffins for 20 minutes. Mini muffins for 10 minutes

Yield: 35 mini muffins

Hallie @ Daily Bites March 19, 2014 at 7:53 am

“Who doesn’t love a muffin top, as long as it’s on a muffin and not a waist!” Truer words have never been said. :) My sister is pregnant with her second right now and is hungry ALL the time. Sending her this recipe ASAP!

Maggie March 20, 2014 at 7:23 am

Thanks Hallie :) That’s so exciting for your sister and your family! I hope she loves them as much as we do!
Maggie

Cheryl March 19, 2014 at 11:00 am

Hi Maggie – these look fantastic. I want you to know that I still have food fantasies about the cupcakes that you made and I tasted on the boat. I also loved the shape of the muffin tin that you used for them. This being said, I went online to find them. I remember that they were deeper than most so I saw a large one on Amazon and ordered it. Well, it arrived and it is for 6 muffins and the cup is HUGE!! I was laughing at myself for thinking it was the same as yours! Anyway – instead of having 2 muffins, people will definitely be just having one of these babies! I always enjoy your posts so much and I am learning from you. Thank you!! x :)

Maggie March 20, 2014 at 7:24 am

Thank you Cherly – my biggest fan :) I will make you more cupcakes! Who needs a reason to celebrate? We can celebrate SPRING! I just fill my cupcakes full, no big trays! Were they in silicone cups? I can’t remember. At least your muffins will be BIG and FILLING! Yum! Hope to see you soon. xo

Cheryl March 21, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hi Again!
They were in deep paper cups I believe there was definitely coconut oil in them – I think in the icing – they had a faint coconut flavour and were not too sweet just really YUMMY!! x

Lisa March 20, 2014 at 6:30 am

Thanks Maggie! I was just about to make boring old banana bread when I saw this. I don’t have psyllium husks. Can you suggest a substitute? Thanks again for your wonderful recipes!!

Maggie March 20, 2014 at 7:26 am

Hi Lisa! I think you could try the same amount of ground chia or even xanthan gum – I use 1 tablespoon of psyllium to replace 1 teaspoon of gums. Hope that helps!
Maggie

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts March 27, 2014 at 11:49 am

Maggie, these look and sound SO good and I have all the ingredients! :-) I’m so happy that I got you in the muffin mood and I can’t wait to share your newest muffin recipe on gfe for March Muffin Madness later today!

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts March 28, 2014 at 11:12 am

Maggie, I just had to come back to add that I made these muffins and they are absolutely wonderful! I added some Enjoy Life mega chunks and walnuts to make them just a little more wonderful. Hehe. ;-) Will be sharing with my mom and dad later today. I know they will love them! If I’d raspberries, I would have made your Raspberry Muffin Cakes, too, to give them a choice. Next time …

Thanks, dear! xoxo,

Maggie March 30, 2014 at 6:23 am

Hi Shirley! Wow, I can’t believe you already made them! Thank you, I hope your Mom and Dad loved them! You’re so sweet!
Maggiexo

J L April 13, 2014 at 10:30 pm

These look delicious!! Just wondering about the coconut sugar, I don’t have any, would I substitute with brown or white sugar? Thanks, looking forward to making these!

Maggie April 14, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hi JL – I would try white sugar for these, they’ll be delish!
Let me know how it goes,
Maggie

Rebecca June 22, 2014 at 12:08 am

These look awesome, can you substitute the flax seeds for anything?

Maggie June 22, 2014 at 6:28 am

Hey Rebecca – You can sub 1 tablespoon of ground chia (mixed with 1/4 cup water instead of 3 tablespoons) or 1 whole egg :)
I hope that helps!