Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and this year I really wanted to create something that both my kiddies and my husband would love.
We’re pretty big fans of chocolate around here. Granted, the kids like theirs a little lighter than Pete and I (thank goodness Enjoy Life makes chocolate they like). Pete and I are good with the really dark stuff. We buy a raw chocolate at our local farmer’s market and we usually gobble it up within the week. Dark chocolate is good for you, after all.
This recipe for healthy Chocolate Dipped Power Balls makes us all happy. My kids wouldn’t normally throw back a handful of walnuts (packed with omega 3’s) so this is a great way to get them into their diets. I also like this recipe because it uses unrefined sugars and they still feel like they’re getting a treat.
By the way, you could totally call these babies chocolate truffles if you need to fool someone. I’ll let you decide.
If you don’t want to make your own chocolate coating, go ahead and melt Enjoy Life chocolate chips or your favorite chocolate bar.
Inspired by this recipe.
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 heaping cup nut butter (any nut butter should work)
- 12 medjool dates (pitted and soaked in boiling water for at least 5 minutes)
- a couple of pinches of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
2. Using a food processor, process nuts until you reach desired consistency.
3. Add nut butter, dates (make sure you remove the pits), sea salt, cinnamon, and raw cacao. Process into a thick paste, you will need to stop your machine a couple of times to wipe down the sides and move the mixture around. It’s very thick and will need your help a little bit.
4. Transfer mixture to a bowl, knead a couple of time to ensure it is well mixed and shape into balls using a 1 tablespoon measurement.
5. Chill Power Balls on prepared baking sheet until firm.
6. Make Chocolate Coating.
Homemade Chocolate Coating
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1oo grams unsweetened dairy-free chocolate
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- pinch sea salt
1. Heat the ingredients using a double boiler (or a glass bowl over a pot of water), gradually melt coconut oil, chocolate, vanilla, and honey or maple syrup.
2. Once everything is melted, stir in sea salt and mix well.
3. Pour melted chocolate mixture into a small jar and use a toothpick to dip Power Balls.
4. Place dipped Power Balls on a sheet lined with parchment. Chill until firm.
5. Keep refrigerated for up to five days.
6. You will have leftover chocolate, refrigerate it and reheat it for ice cream sundaes! Or pour into moulds and make homemade chocolate bars.
Yield: 23 Chocolate Dipped Power Balls
Crazy for chocolate? You need THIS book then!
Print This Post