Bean-Free Almond Hummus

by Maggie on May 31, 2013

Bean Free Almond Hummus

I have been making our own nut milks for almost a year now. Homemade nut milk tastes better, it’s easy, and I know exactly what I put in it!

Our favorite homemade version is cashew milk. We use the leftover pulp (what’s left behind after making nut or seed milk) to make cashew cream. It’s so easy and takes about five minutes to throw together before dinner. I’ve even used the cashew pulp to make nut cheese and it’s oh-so yummy!

Recently though, we’ve been making a lot of almond milk and I’ve always had trouble using the leftover almond pulp. It’s not nearly as creamy as cashew pulp, and I’ve tried using it in crackers, but I find it them to be too dry.

Luckily, a month or so ago, my friend Beth from Tasty Yummies shared her recipe for Chipotle Almond Spread/Dip. I was intrigued and knew I needed to try making my own version using my leftover almond pulp.

We were pleasantly surprised – this recipe for Bean-Free Almond Hummus is delicious, and a little addictive. It goes well with raw veggies, on crackers, on wraps, on tortilla chips , and the list goes on!  Even Livvie likes it!

Bean Free Almond Hummus 2

Bean-Free Almond Hummus

• 2/3 cup almond pulp
  • 2 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons flax oil (to add some omega 3’s)
  • 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika
  • ½ tablespoon coconut aminos (tamari would work too)

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving (or longer) to enhance garlic flavor.
3. Serve or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.

If you don’t want to make your own almond milk first, check out Beth’s recipe – her Chipotle Almond Spread doesn’t require almond pulp, just soaked almonds.

We’ve also really enjoyed Ricki’s recipe for “feta” nut cheese. I used leftover almond pulp for that too.

Want more recipes for leftover nut pulp? Check out the From Nut Pulp Comes board on Pinterest.

And while you’re on Pinterest, you might want to follow my Summer Harvest board for all things Summer.

Speaking of Summer, have you checked out the Summer Dining issue of Simply Gluten-Free Magazine?  It’s a must-read.

Hallie @ Daily Bites May 31, 2013 at 10:55 am

You are a genius! I have been trying to do stuff with my almond pulp for months, but like you I’m not a fan of the crackers. Never thought to put it in hummus. Fab idea!!!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 31, 2013 at 10:31 pm

What an interesting recipe! Sounds delicious!

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts June 1, 2013 at 11:04 pm

What a great idea, Maggie! It looks delicious! :-)

Happy weekend! xo,

Kim-Cook It Allergy Free June 3, 2013 at 10:41 am

Such a great idea, Maggie! I love this! And Oh MY GOSH!! Livvie is SO beautiful. Love that photo of her and those eyes. :D

amber June 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Love this recipe, Maggie!! And yeah for homemade nuts milks. Such a great way to use up that pulp. I’m such a dip girl. Love um’ all. And that picture is just too adorable. :-)

Have a fabulous weekend lovely lady.

—Amber

bob June 5, 2014 at 4:01 am

I’ve made this a few times, and each time it has disappeared rather quickly. It’s my favourite way to use up almond pulp, and today I even made almond mylk just so I could make this recipe!
Thought I should ask though, how long do you think this recipe would keep fresh in the fridge? You know, in case it ever lasts more than a day or two=)

bob July 20, 2014 at 1:07 am

Today I made hazelnut (& almond) mylk, and wasn’t sure what to do with the pulp, since I had forgotten and sweetened the mylk before straining. So I used this recipe as an outline, and Chocolate Covered Katie’s Cookie Dough Dip as flavour inspiration, combining the two ideas. Thought I’d share my adaptation (all measures are approx; I didn’t measure, just eyeballed):
2/3 cup almond pulp
2 Tbs linseed oil (flaxseed) – I’d use less next time as there’s no garlic or aminos to cover the linseed flavour
1 Tbs hazelnut oil
1 Tbs ghee (I’m sure coconut oil would be great too)
liquid stevia to taste (I think I might have used ~1/4 tsp, but start with less – you can always add more)
1/2 – 1 tsp vanilla
2-3 drops orange oil
Pinch sea salt
hazelnut/almond mylk to thin to your desired viscosity
After mixing together I added 2-3 tablespoons of unsweetened carob discs broken up (sub: mini choc chips)