Kale Salad with Sweet & Creamy Dressing

by Maggie on April 1, 2013

CrazyForKale-Badge My friend Hallie from Daily Bites is launching her latest e-book today: Crazy for Kale: Glow From The Inside Out with 40 Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes.  It contains 40 recipes with kale as one of the ingredients (33 of which are Paleo/grain-free and 31 are vegan or have vegan alternatives).

To help Hallie celebrate, I thought I’d share a recipe for Kale Salad with Sweet and Creamy Dijon Dressing.   I think we all know the amazing benefits of kale – high in antioxidants (those cancer-fighting warriors), high in calcium (eliminate the middle man – the cow – and go right to the source), and high in B Vitamins (known as the energy vitamins).

I try to get kale into our meals on a regular basis, sometimes it’s in smoothies and other times it’s in soup. And don’t forget about kale chips! But this time I’ve created a yummy kale salad for you with some of my favorite salad ingredients.

Kale Salad with Sweet & Creamy Dijon Dressing

Kale Salad with Sweet & Creamy Dijon Dressing

Dressing Ingredients

3 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
2 1/2 tablespoons local maple syrup or raw honey
1/4 of a ripe avocado
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (preferably cold pressed)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender.  Adjust sweetener, salt, and pepper to taste.
2.  Refrigerate or use immediately.

Salad Ingredients

6 cups loosely packed kale, washed, patted dry, and cut into strips/bite-sized pieces (I used lacianto kale)
1/2 cup grated sweet potato
1 cup sunflower sprouts
1/4 cup hemp hearts
1/2 cup roasted beets
1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped to desired size

1. Combine kale, sweet potato, 1/2 cup sunflower sprouts, hemp hearts, 1/4 cup roasted beets, 1/4 cup walnuts in a large salad bowl.
2. Toss with Sweet & Creamy Dijon Dressing, using your fingers to massage kale and evenly distribute dressing.
3. Garnish with remaining sunflower sprouts, roasted beets, and walnuts.
4.  Serve.

Make sure you check out Hallie’s site for all of the details about her new e-book. And if you want to get it right away (which you totally should), you can buy Crazy for Kale right here. It’s only $5.99!

Here’s the guest list for Hallie’s virtual e-book launch party – we are all celebrating our passion for kale. So make sure you swing by every blog to join in on the fun!

Hallie @ Daily Bites April 1, 2013 at 5:33 am

Holy yum! This salad looks right up my alley. Love it! Thanks so much for participating in the launch party, Maggie! :)

Maggie April 1, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Hallie! I loved it :) Thanks for having me to your party!
Maggie

Lari Langley Taylor April 1, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hi Maggie :-)

Any chance you have a suggestion on which type of kale to use in your salad? I bought three different kinds at Market last week and can’t remember which was recommended for what (lol)

Maggie April 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Hey Lari :) I used lacianto kale (aka dinosaur kale), but you could use the curly kale too. In the summer I grow curly kale so use that variety more often. In the winter all I can get (that’s organic) is lacianto.
I hope that helps!
Maggie

Amber April 2, 2013 at 8:18 am

Just gorgeous, Maggie! I’m loving all these fresh, healthy kale inspired dishes. Really makes me long for summer! Pinning this recipe. Can’t wait to try. And that dressing…so divine.

Be Well,
-Amber

Maggie April 3, 2013 at 7:22 am

Thank you Amber – I love it when you stop by :) I’m longing for summer too. It’s minus temps here today and I am not overly happy about that!
Have a great day!
xo

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free April 2, 2013 at 9:38 am

I think that it is entirely possible that I could eat that salad dressing with a spoon. It sounds AMAZING!! I love your salad and all of the fun ingredients! What a grate idea to grate sweet potato into it! Soooo doing that from now on! :D
XO

Alisa April 2, 2013 at 9:55 am

What a delicious contribution Maggie! I love using avocado in dressings! I just have trouble passing the green by the husband :)

Johnna April 4, 2013 at 10:44 am

This salad sounds delicious. And the dressing? Well, I’m just gonna have to make it for lunch today!

Maggie April 4, 2013 at 11:47 am

Yay Johnna, and do you know? I made those fries this week. My oh my!
Have a lovely day. How’s your pup?
Maggie

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts April 6, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I’m late to comment, but you are the queen of amazing salad dressings, my dear! You’ve got so many of my favorites in the dressing and the salad. :-) Such a great recipe and what a wonderful launch for Hallie’s new ebook! This kale novice is learning from you all!

Verda July 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm

One quick question before I make this wonderful sounding salad and dressing. Is the sweet potato raw when grated ?

Maggie July 19, 2013 at 6:46 am

Hi Verda – Yes, I like to grate raw sweet potato onto my salads :) Enjoy!