My friend Hallie from Daily Bites is launching her latest e-book today: Crazy for Kale: Glow From The Inside Out with 40 Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes. It contains 40 recipes with kale as one of the ingredients (33 of which are Paleo/grain-free and 31 are vegan or have vegan alternatives).
To help Hallie celebrate, I thought I’d share a recipe for Kale Salad with Sweet and Creamy Dijon Dressing. I think we all know the amazing benefits of kale – high in antioxidants (those cancer-fighting warriors), high in calcium (eliminate the middle man – the cow – and go right to the source), and high in B Vitamins (known as the energy vitamins).
I try to get kale into our meals on a regular basis, sometimes it’s in smoothies and other times it’s in soup. And don’t forget about kale chips! But this time I’ve created a yummy kale salad for you with some of my favorite salad ingredients.
Kale Salad with Sweet & Creamy Dijon Dressing
3 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
2 1/2 tablespoons local maple syrup or raw honey
1/4 of a ripe avocado
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (preferably cold pressed)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender. Adjust sweetener, salt, and pepper to taste.
2. Refrigerate or use immediately.
6 cups loosely packed kale, washed, patted dry, and cut into strips/bite-sized pieces (I used lacianto kale)
1/2 cup grated sweet potato
1 cup sunflower sprouts
1/4 cup hemp hearts
1/2 cup roasted beets
1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped to desired size
1. Combine kale, sweet potato, 1/2 cup sunflower sprouts, hemp hearts, 1/4 cup roasted beets, 1/4 cup walnuts in a large salad bowl.
2. Toss with Sweet & Creamy Dijon Dressing, using your fingers to massage kale and evenly distribute dressing.
3. Garnish with remaining sunflower sprouts, roasted beets, and walnuts.
Make sure you check out Hallie’s site for all of the details about her new e-book. And if you want to get it right away (which you totally should), you can buy Crazy for Kale right here. It’s only $5.99!
Here’s the guest list for Hallie’s virtual e-book launch party – we are all celebrating our passion for kale. So make sure you swing by every blog to join in on the fun!
- Ricki at Diet, Dessert and Dogs
- Alyssa at Queen of Quinoa
- Elana at Elana’s Pantry
- Lexie at Lexie’s Kitchen
- Alta at Tasty Eats at Home
- Johnna at In Johnna’s Kitchen
- Amy at Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
- Kim at Cook IT Allergy Free
- Tessa at Tessa the Domestic Diva