I’m all for indulgences, but these days I like my indulgences to be a little bit healthier. And I love it when my kids consider my healthier treats to be tasty too. These One Bite Brownies are just that! Healthier and yummy.
So what makes these One Bite Brownies healthier?
- I used whole grain teff flour – high in protein and calcium.
- I used heart-healthy coconut oil – are you using it yet?
- I used coconut sugar instead of refined cane sugar – a little easier on the blood sugar!
You can pack them in the kiddies lunchboxes on Valentine’s Day too – they’re nut-free and they won’t make their blood sugar go through the roof – much better fuel for learning.
You must drizzle these with dairy-free and refined sugar-free caramel. Obviously.
One Bite Brownies – Gluten-Free and Vegan
Inspired by Erin McKenna’s Brownie Recipe
- 1 cup teff flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- ½ cup raw cacao (cocoa powder would work too)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tablespoon psyllium seed husks
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup liquefied coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract (I used Amy’s)
- ½ cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease your mini-muffin pan with coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the teff and arrowroot flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium seed husks, and sea salt.
3. In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil, coconut sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and the water.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Let sit for five minutes – the batter will thicken.
5. Use a tablespoon to fill mini muffin cups three quarters of the way full.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes in muffin pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Repeat until batter is gone.
Yield: approximately 30 one bite brownies
Are you on Pinterest? Let’s check out each other’s boards!