Gluten-Free One Bite Brownies

by Maggie on February 11, 2013

one bite brownies

I’m all for indulgences, but these days I like my indulgences to be a little bit healthier.  And I love it when my kids consider my healthier treats to be tasty too. These One Bite Brownies are just that!  Healthier and yummy.

So what makes these One Bite Brownies healthier?

1. I used whole grain teff flour – high in protein and calcium.
  2. I used heart-healthy coconut oil – are you using it yet?
  3. I used coconut sugar instead of refined cane sugar – a little easier on the blood sugar!

You can pack them in the kiddies lunchboxes on Valentine’s Day too – they’re nut-free and they won’t make their blood sugar go through the roof – much better fuel for learning.

You must drizzle these with dairy-free and refined sugar-free caramel. Obviously.

Dairy-Free Refined Sugar-Free Caramel @MaggieSavage 2

One Bite Brownies – Gluten-Free and Vegan

Inspired by Erin McKenna’s Brownie Recipe

• 1 cup teff flour
  • ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
  • ½ cup raw cacao (cocoa powder would work too)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ tablespoon psyllium seed husks
  • ¾ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ cup liquefied coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
  • 1 cup coconut sugar
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract (I used Amy’s)
  • ½ cup water

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Lightly grease your mini-muffin pan with coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the teff and arrowroot flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, psyllium seed husks, and sea salt.
3. In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil, coconut sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and the water.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine.  Let sit for five minutes – the batter will thicken.
5. Use a tablespoon to fill mini muffin cups three quarters of the way full.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes in muffin pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Repeat until batter is gone.

Yield: approximately 30 one bite brownies

Want more heart-healthy treats?  Check out Lexie’s, Cara’s, Meg’s or Beth’s blogs this week for some gluten-free and heart-friendly cookie recipes.

Are you on Pinterest? Let’s check out each other’s boards!

Cara February 11, 2013 at 9:32 am

There is no bad time for a brownie.. especially during heart health month because it’s easy to pack in so many healthful ingredients!

Skylor (@SproutLifestyle) February 11, 2013 at 1:38 pm

The caramel looks beautiful! I am very excited about one bit brownies – because really, all you need is one bite!

Dana February 11, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Oh, I’m definitely making these! I have psyllium husk but haven’t uses it yet. My husband is scares of it but he might be coaxed into trying these :)
-Dana

Minnie(@thelady8home) February 12, 2013 at 7:20 am

Such a great and yummy brownie!

Alisa February 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

These look so delightful Maggie! I had some bite-sized gf/vegan brownies over the weekend, but I can guarantee they were the unhealthy version!

Iris February 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm

These look delicious! Love the photo too! The background is really cute and makes the brownies stand out.

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts February 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Oh, Maggie, these look awesome! Can you believe I still haven’t tried teff? I’m reluctant to buy a bag as I react to many grains. Wish I could sample one of these and give it a try. ;-)

Anastasia Healthy Mama Info. February 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Yum! Cannot wait to try these bite size brownies & love the ingredients you used in the recipe, especially the multi-purpose coconut oil:)

Amber February 19, 2013 at 10:21 am

Maggie,

These have me swooning…and I’m not even a huge chocolate lover. But these look so good! Wish I could grab one (or two) off the screen.

Hope you’re well lovely lady.

–Amber

The Healthy Apple February 20, 2013 at 10:21 pm

These look great, Maggie! What a cute idea. I miss you and sending you HUGS from NYC!

TheHolisticHealthCoach February 27, 2013 at 10:59 am

These look amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Charu September 29, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Just tried this one today! Brilliant recipe! Maggie, you have a knack for creating great tasting recipes that are actually healthy. This recipe is unbelievable! Thank you!