One of my favorite restaurants is Fresh Restaurants in Toronto, Canada. I’ve been going there for about ten years – they’re a vegetarian restaurant, but they cater to vegans, gluten-freebies, juice-lovers, and anyone who loves an amazing meal. Their dishes will leave you feeling completely satisfied, a little full, and eager to plan your next visit.
The founder of Fresh is Ruth Tal – a generous and inspirational woman who you can find on twitter and instagram. Ruth and her business partner, Jennifer Houston, recently published their fourth cookbook Fresh: New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes from the Award-winning Fresh Restaurants .
We are in love with this cookbook (we already have Fresh at Home). It’s packed with over 200 food and juice recipes (I clearly need to get a juicer) – many of which are naturally gluten-free, or can be easily adapted to be so.
Some of our favorites so far are: the Avocado Banana Spinach Smoothie, the Magnum espresso shake (oh yeah baby), Grilled Tofu Steaks, and the Lemon Blueberry Pancakes.
But our number one fave (it was hard to pick just one) is the Black Bean Mix. It’s also one of our favorite dishes at the restaurant – even Callum loves it! We served ours in gluten-free tortillas and over basmati rice with a side of roasted sweet potatoes. So filling and so nutritious!
Black Bean Mix
Reprinted from Fresh: New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes from the Award-winning Fresh Restaurants with thanks to Ruth Tal.
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil (I used coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, ground
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon diced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked black beans)
1. Saute onions in oil until softened.
2. Add coriander, chili, and garlic powders, oregano, sea salt, and pepper.
3. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add garlic, tomatoes, water, cilantro, tomato paste, and chipotle. Stir to incorporate, then bring to a boil.
5. Stir in black beans.
6. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED.
To enter to win a copy of the latest Fresh cookbook, simply do ONE of the following. Just leave A SEPARATE COMMENT for each thing that you do so that you can earn an entry for each.
1. Tell me your favorite gluten-free friendly restaurant.
The contest will end on Monday, March 4th at midnight CST. The winners will be contacted by email. You must be at least 18 years old to enter. Winners must live within the continental US and Canada.
Print This Post