Omega 3 White Bean Dip

by Maggie on April 11, 2012

I like bean dips because you can sneak all sorts of goodies into your food processor and end up with a protein-boost. It’s fabulous. Plus, my kids love to dip!

When I’m feeling a little lazy, it’s so easy to grab a can of beans and whip up a nutritious bean dip. It’s also really easy to use some leftover cooked beans to make a dip.

I added some hemp hearts to this bean dip recipe so I could up the amount of heart-healthy omega 3’s.  They help reduce cholesterol and lower your chances for cardiovascular disease.

Did you know that hemp contains all 10 essential amino acids, so you’ll get even more protein on your cracker!

Sometimes, with all of the food prep I do, it’s nice to have easy meals to fall back on. Add a salad, some fresh cut veggies, and you’ve got a meal.

Omega 3 White Bean Dip

1 can white beans (cannellini beans)
¼ cup hemp hearts
½ medium-sized clove of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
¼ tsp herbamare or sea salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp flax oil
black pepper to taste

Add beans, hemp hearts, garlic and parsley to the bowl of your food processor. Puree and add herbamare, lemon juice, flax oil, and black pepper to taste. Puree until smooth.

Serve with crackers, veggies, or in a wrap.

Yield: approximately 2 cups

Want more bean dip tips and recipe ideas? Check out Valerie’s post on The Balanced Platter.

What’s one of your easy meals?

Shirley @ gfe April 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

Oooh, super yum, Maggie! Those hemp hearts for topping are extra special. :-) And you’re right on Valerie … she has so many awesome bean dip recipes. I saw her post and knew she’d written it right away because of her “urban” photo at the beginning. ;-)

Iris April 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yum! I don’t do well with white beans, but I could make this with garbanzo beans! I love simple recipes like this!

Alisa April 11, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Looks delicious Maggie! What crackers are those? Mary’s?

Amber April 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Maggie,

You read my mind. I’ve been craving white bean dip lately. And the few I’ve made are so…bland. This look terrific! I’m such a fan of dips. I’ll making this by week’s end for sure!

Have a great rest of your week,
–Amber

Cassidy @ Cooking Gluten (& Dairy) Free April 12, 2012 at 7:08 am

This looks great, I’m always trying to get more omega’s into our diet :) Thanks!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free April 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

Ahh…another one of your amazing recipes to add to my list. This would be a huge hit in my house. Loving that you added the hemp hearts. I usually sneak them in to all kinds of things. Bean dip is a perfect thing to add them to! Love it! ;)

amber June 30, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hi There Maggie,

Just a note to let you know I shared your awesome recipe on my monthly recipe round-up highlighting festive, healthy backyard BBQ dishes. If you get a chance, come on over and check out the other inspiring recipes!

Hugs,
–Amber

Gabby @ the veggie nook July 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I’ve been battling some skin issues and have learned that eating more omega 3s in relation to omega 6s can help, so this looks perfect! Thanks for such a delicious looking recipe :)