Gluten-Free and Vegan Gingersnaps

by Maggie on February 6, 2012

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

A baby shower is such a good excuse to make some fabulous food and a super-cute invitation.

Did you know you can even throw your far-away friend a baby shower?  Yep, and that’s what we’re doing today.  Hallie and I are hosting a baby shower for our amazing friend Amy Green from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free.

We may be thousands of miles away from each other, but that’s not going to stop a few of Amy’s friends from celebrating the soon-to-be arrival of Baby Green!

I knew I had to come up with something super cute to help celebrate Baby Green.  We’ve been waiting for him for a long time (seems longer in the virtual world).  So I made these adorable heart-shaped gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free Gingersnaps.  I think you’ll love them.  I know Amy will.

Gingersnaps

These babies would make a great Valentine’s Day treat too.

¾ cup room temperature coconut oil
¾ cup coconut sugar (or cane sugar)
¼ cup unsulphured molasses
1 tablespoon ground chia combined with ¼ cup water
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup quinoa flour
¾ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup arrowroot flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cloves

Instructions

1. In the bowl of your mixer, combine coconut oil and sugar.  Beat until fluffy.
2. Add molasses, ground chia, and vanilla.  Stir until well combined.
3. In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda, sea salt, and spices.  Add to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
4. Use floured hands to roll the dough into a ball.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking trays with parchment or a silpat.
6. Remove dough from fridge and divide in half, leaving one half in the fridge until ready to use.  Roll dough on a floured surface to just under ¼ inch thickness.
7. Cut into desired shapes (we used hearts for Valentines Day and Ninjabread cutters just because).  Repeat with remaining dough.
8. Places shapes at least 1 inch apart and bake for 12-14 minutes, depending on desired crunch.
9. Let cool for two minutes on tray, remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Yield: 48 small cookies.

The baby shower celebrations continue
on these other fabulous blogs!

Hallie from Daily Bites
Alta from Tasty Eats at Home
Lexie from Lexie’s Kitchen
Kelly from The Spunky Coconut
Carol from Simply Gluten-Free
Cara from Cara’s Cravings
Ricki from Diet, Dessert and Dogs
Alisa from Alisa Cooks
Kim from Cook It Allergy Free
Jen from Gluten-Free Life With Jen
Cybele from Cybele Pascal
Helen from Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

Congratulations Amy and Joe!

Hallie @ Daily Bites February 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

Too cute! I can’t wait to try these, Maggie. So PERFECT for the shower! :)

Ricki February 6, 2012 at 7:46 am

These are too cute, Maggie! I know Amy (and Baby Boy Green) will love them! :)

Alta February 6, 2012 at 8:07 am

LOVE these. They’re adorable and I can imagine they’re irresistable too!

Cara February 6, 2012 at 8:34 am

Love these, Maggie! I can’t wait for Amy to see them :)

Sophie February 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

MMMM,…I cook & eat vegan a lot these days & these cookies are looking wonderful & lovely too! :)

Great cookies! :)

Carol February 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

Love those cute little heart shaped babies!!! Oh how I wish we were all in one room eating and chatting…

Miz Helen February 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hi Maggie,
Your little heart shaped Gingersnaps are so precious and look delicious, we are going to love these little treats at the shower today, I sure hope you made a double batch. Thank you so much for inviting me to participate in this special event for Miz Amy. I will give Nate a special Hug from you. It has been fun cooking with you for the shower!
Miz Helen

Lexie @ Lexie's Kitchen February 6, 2012 at 9:59 am

Check! New cookie recipe to try … was working on chocolate chippers this weekend and am SO over them. Thank you for hosting this lovely shower : )
xoLexie

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free February 6, 2012 at 10:12 am

Oh, Maggie!! I’m sitting here in my pajamas (working on my taxes…) and flipped over to Twitter out of complete boredom and got the biggest shock! At first I was confused and once I realized what was going on I was completely overwhelmed with gratitude, to the point of tears. I am so very lucky to have a friend like you. I can’t wait for our little guy to meet you in April – and to be able to give you a huge hug!!

Much love,
Amy

Alisa February 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

So cute Maggie! Love the way they are baby shower AND valentine themed. I need to bust out my heart cookie cutters now!

Sweetums February 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Great recipe! Thank you very much.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free February 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Maggie, these cookies are so stinking adorable! I am going to make them with my kids on Valentine’s Day! They will love them. And you and Hallie did such an amazing job organizing this and keeping the secret! So glad we were able to actually surprise her! :)
xo
k

cybele pascal February 6, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Hi Maggie:

These are adorable! Thanks so much for hosting and organizing!

xo
Cybele

danielle @Fresh4Five February 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Those look yummy!
What sweet friends!
Congrats to Amy!

Amber February 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Hi There Maggie,

Such a wonderful idea. It’s so exciting when your friend is expecting. How fun to celebrate with Amy and her husband. Distance can’t stop this bunch of fabulous foodie bloggers. Let the games begin! :-)

Hugs to you,
–Amber

P.S. I’m so crushing on these cookies right now Maggie. Love!

Dee February 7, 2012 at 8:31 am

Wow! Such cute looking cookies. My ginger snaps always turn out rock hard! Going to give this recipe a go! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle December 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm

These look great!!! I would love to make them…. what can you sub out instead of using the chia? (could you possibly use an egg?) lol… I’m completely guessing – as I’m new to all the restrictions I have. Any help would be appreciated :)

Michelle December 21, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Thank you so much for answering me back!!! and that you substitute the chia for the egg – I really appreciate it :) Now I know what I’m making for dessert!!! As for the dinner….??? haha
Merry Christmas!!!