Oh Mega Mix – Foods That Heal

by Maggie on January 5, 2012

I’m hosting, this month’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free and the theme is Foods That Heal.

Since the diagnosis of Pete’s celiac disease and Callum’s food sensitivities, I have witnessed first hand, the power of food. It has incredible healing powers.

Nutrition has quickly become one of my passions, and one of the main reasons why I’m studying to become a Registered Holistic Nutritionist.

I’ve been learning a lot about the importance of essential fatty acids (EFAs). EFAs are important for normal growth of the blood vessels and nerves, and to keep the skin and other tissues youthful. EFAs also play an important role in controlling inflammation so the body can protect itself from physical or chemical injury.

In addition, we all know how important fiber is in our diets. High-fiber foods, like chia and flax, are detoxifying, which means they help to keep our bodies functioning at their best.

I think you’re already with me on this one. Right?

I find it a little harder to get my kids to eat nuts and seeds, so I created this Oh-Mega Mix as a way to get more EFAs into their diets.  We do take an EFA supplement in the form of DHA every day, but I also want them to get the fiber and whole food benefits.

I keep our Oh-Mega Mix in a mason jar with a screw-top lid. Don’t make too much at one time, all of these ingredients are best when eaten fresh. Ours usually lasts a week.

Oh-Mega Mix

Feel free to omit the walnuts for a nut-free version

3 tbsp chia seeds or flax seeds
3 tbsp Shelled Hemp Hearts
3 tbsp raw sesame seeds
3 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
3 tbsp raw walnuts

Grind each ingredient separately in a coffee grinder. Store in the fridge in an air-tight container. Sprinkle on toast, in smoothies, over yogurt, or toss in salads. The possibilities are endless!

Yield: Approximately 1 generous cup

You’ll need to listen to this song while you’re making your Oh-Mega mix.

What are your go-to power foods when it comes to healing?  Make sure you join us this month!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I am so with you on this! Since I’m finishing up my Nutrition Certification now, the subject of has been a huge focus for me too! I’m putting them in everything and anything I can! Between my husband having celiac and my having food allergies, healthy bellies are so important in our family. The mix is a great idea!

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 9:31 am

That’s cool Sarena, are you loving your course? I won’t be done for another year or so. Glad you like the mix!

Sue-Anne January 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Good idea, simply make sure to use it up quickly if using flax seeds, as once they are ground they go rancid very quickly unless kept in the freezer,

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 9:33 am

Thanks Sue Anne. I prefer to use chia seeds since they’re a much easier going seed :)

Juliana January 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Thank you so much for this great tip! I plan to make this next week and use it in all our food. What Supplement do you give your kids? I am searching for EFA to give to my two boys but have not found a good one yet. Thanks so much

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hi Juliana. I hope you LOVE it. It’s super convenient. As stated in the ‘recipe’, just make sure you use it up quickly and store it in the fridge. We take a Genestra brand DHA supplement. It has a citrus flavor to it which makes it a little easier to swallow :)

Stephanie Sullivan January 6, 2012 at 11:37 am

Why or why have I not thought of this??? As Sydney would say…awesome possum!

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Well you tell Sydney she’s totally rad. xo

Shirley @ gfe January 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Love this, Maggie! Awesome name, too! ;-)

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Thanks Shirley. You know I really wanted to call it Oh Magga Mix… :)

Betsy @ Gluten Free Betsy January 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I need to be making this ASAP! Oh-yea! :)

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

That’s great Betsy!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free January 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I have to laugh because I swear you and I are on the same wavelength so many times. I grind up a mix like this of hemp, chia, and flax seeds every few days in my coffee grinder. I love the idea of the nuts and seeds though. Totally doing that. I put it in the kids sandwiches, in hot cereal, a sprinkle on muffins, smoothies, etc. Great combo of goodness here!!

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Well Kim I’m happy to share a wavelength with you!

Lexie January 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Oh Ray! And Oh Megas!! Great tip. And hip hip hooray about the step toward becoming a nutritionist : )

xoLexie

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Oh Ray is right Lexie! Isn’t that a fab song? Thanks for cheering me on, it means a lot! Funny how our kids have severely altered our paths, heh?

Kim @ Welcoming Kitchen January 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Maggie,
This is such a great (and easy) idea. We’ll be grinding up a batch this weekend!

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Yay, glad you like it Kim!

Alisa January 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Great idea Maggie! Just curious why you would grind them each separately though?

Maggie January 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Alisa – I grind them separately for two reasons. First of all, my grinder fits about 3 tbsp. Any more and it doesn’t operate effectively for nuts and seeds. Secondly, each seed and nut turns into a butter after a different amount of grinding and I don’t want any butter for this mix. Hope that makes sense :)

Amber January 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Oh Maggie, I can relate to your story in so many ways. Food was once the enemy when I was diagnosed when Crohn’s, but now food is my healing force and my positive survival. It’s amazing how it works both ways, but if you can figure it all out and find the healing balance it’s all good! It takes some work and great patience to get to that place though. I just love your idea here. So creative. Thank you for the inspiration!
Big Hugs,
–Amber

Maggie January 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Amber, that’s what I love about blogging. We’re talking to, and sharing ideas with, people who understand and can relate. It feels so good :) Happy weekend!

Kayla January 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hey Maggie (Ms. Savage still sounds more normal to me :)
I didn’t know you were studying to a nutritionist! That’s awesome! I’m going to have to try this little mix!

Maggie January 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Kayla! I’m so happy you’re here :) Do what Em does, she calls me Sav. I hope you love the little mix! I love checking out your blog. Come back soon! I miss my WCI people.

Margaret January 6, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I make a mix like this then put it in the freezer to keep fresh. My mix is a little different so I will try your mix. I use quality mixed nuts (unsalted) banana chips, dried fruit and as many other interesting things I can find . Then I put them all in a food processor until I get a fine powdery mix. I then mix it with dairy free youghurt, sprinle it on fruit, let it soak in water for a while then eat it as a creamy blend instead of eating a biscuit. Sometimes I blend it with frozen berries. I also add it to gf/cf cakes and biscuits. I’m still experimenting with that and don’t make cakes and biscuits often. One mix was wonderful, the next was not good. I think I was a bit too relaxed with my mixing after my first success.!

Maggie January 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Hi Margaret – I love hearing that other people use quality nuts. It’s so important! Your mix sounds fascinating! It would be great for my kids. Thanks for the inspiration! Have a great weekend.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats January 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

This is brilliant. Love it. I sent you my submission (Romaine Kale SAlad) today :)

Maggie January 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks Valerie! I got your submission, can’t wait to post all the amazing ideas!

Gena January 9, 2012 at 9:02 am

This is such a smart idea, Maggie!!

Maggie January 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Thanks Gena, I’m a little excited that it grabbed your attention! I adore Choosing Raw :)

Sara @ Plant Powered Mom January 9, 2012 at 11:53 am

Love this idea! Thanks so much! I’m constantly trying to force my kids to eat more nuts and seeds – usually without much luck. This is such a great (sneaky) idea to get these superfoods into them!

Totally gonna try this.

Jolene January 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Love this idea! I’d want to sprinkle it on everything:)

Maggie January 14, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Thanks Jolene :) It’s pretty powerful stuff!

Kristin February 6, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’m super excited to try this, especially due to my celiac desease and my kids’ picky palettes. However, I wonder if you use the walnuts specifically or if they can subbed for another nut. I get cankers from walnuts.

Maggie February 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Hi Kristin – You could definitely sub out the walnuts. Or just completely omit them! Thanks for stopping by!