Foods That Heal

by Maggie on January 30, 2012

As you know, I had the honor of hosting January’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free event.  I chose the theme Foods That Heal and I was completely overwhelmed by the response I had. I can’t wait to share it with you.

Sometimes, foods that heal means your body needs healing; perhaps after illness, disease, surgery, or just time to recover after finally discovering your allergies.

Other times, foods that heal refer to preventative healing.  I’m a huge believer in using food to prevent disease and to maintain an active, healthy, and happy lifestyle.  My family and I see food as preventative medicine.

Regardless, food has incredible healing powers.

It is my honor to share some of the amazing recipes and posts that came my way for this event.  Thank you to each and every participant.  Together, we’re changing the way people eat and the way people view food.

So grab a cup of herbal tea, and take a look at all of these amazing posts.

Let’s start with some of the posts sharing tips or power foods.

Amy from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free shares some excellent tips for meal planning. This is such an important thing to do if you’re working on healing. Food preparation can seem overwhelming otherwise.

Vicky from Gluten Free SCD and Veggie shares some of the benefits of incorporating Manuka Honey into our daily food habits.

At the beginning of the month I shared an easy recipe for my Oh Mega Mix.

Next let’s take a look at some of the healing beverages.

Amber from The Tasty Alternative shares her recipe for a healing drink she calls a Bowl of Soul using Chamomile tea.

Kim from Cook It Allergy Free introduced many of us to the benefits of adding Water Kefir to your diet.

Debi from Hunter’s Lyonesse shares her delicious and power-packed Super Berry Smoothie.

Raj from Flip Cookbook made this incredible Mama’s Green Power Juice. Do you LOVE this color? I sure do!

There were some super-charged appetizers, side dishes, and mains that were shared too.

First up, Alta from Tasty Eats at Home made Creamy Chipotle Butternut Dip.

Christine from Without Adornment made a healing chicken soup to share with your under the weather loved ones.

Heather from Discovering The Extraordinary made us some Roasted Garlic, Tomato, and Basil Pasta.

Jenn from Jenn Cuisine made us a beautiful bowl of healing Creamy Cauliflower soup.

Melanie from The Grecian Garden baked some Pineapple Ginger Salmon, focussing on healthy Omega 3s.

Shirley from Gluten-Free Easily made Indian Curry Balls with some pretty powerful ingredients (a vegan version too).

Sunny from And Love It Too made her Smoked ‘Cheddar’ Bacon Soup. She breaks down the healing ingredients in her post.

Paula from Live Free, Gluten-Free made a loaf of hearty Multigrain Seeded Bread.  Lots of healthy ingredients packed into one loaf of bread!

Valerie from City Life Eats made us a Romaine Kale Salad. We all know how important it is to get our greens in!

Wendy from Celiacs In The House created a recipe for Salmon Cakes with Quinoa and Kale. Talk about a powerful trio!

Iris from The Daily Dietribe shares her recipe for dairy-free, soy-free and nut-free ‘Cheese’ Sauce!

Lastly, we have a couple of treats that heal.  Yes, sweeter foods can heal us!

The creator of Go Ahead Honey, Naomi from Straight Into Bed Cakefree and Dried made some Grain-Free Carrot Cake Muffins that look perfect.

Zoe from Z’s Cup of Tea made some Quinoa Pancakes – what a fabulous and healthy way to start the day!  I know my kids would be happy.

February’s event is hosted by Heather from Gluten-Free Cat.  Her theme is Hot, Spicy, and Heart-Shaped.  Don’t know about you, but my recipe’s ready to go!

I have been nominated for a Circle of Moms Top 25 Vegan & Vegetarian Moms award! I would love YOUR vote. You can vote every 24 hours until February 14th. Thank you so much for your support. Click here to vote.

I need to send a huge thank-you to my Sista who reformatted many of the pictures for me so everything would look lovely and pretty for you!

Shirley @ gfe January 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm

WOW!!! What an incredible roundup, Maggie. Congrats to you and everyone on such a fabulous job! Thanks to your “Sista,” too, as the visual display is wonderful. :-)

Amber January 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Hi There Maggie,

Just LOVED the theme this month! Amazing round-up. Off to check out all these great recipes in more detail. :-)

Hugs,
–Amber

SunnyB @ andloveittoo January 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm

What a great great line-up! Thank you so much, Maggie! xoxo

Zoe January 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Wow, Maggie, fantastic job! Thanks so much for this theme, I hadn’t done Go Ahead Honey in so long…hope to change that! The pancakes would be great for the kids since they’re quite filling, perfect for breakfast before school.

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat January 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Oh my, I think I’ll be living off these recipes all next month. They are so wholesome and delicious looking!!! Thanks for such a healthy focus and a beautiful showcase of the entries.

danielle @Fresh4Five January 30, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Everything looks amazing! so many I want to try!

Paula @ Live Free, Gluten Free January 30, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I submitted my recipe for Multigrain Seeded Bread, but I guess it didn’t make it onto the site. :( http://freelifeglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/01/multigrain-seeded-bread.html

Raj @ Flip Cookbook January 30, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Mm.. I think this post is going to be my dinner menu for next week! Fantastic recipes and fantastic round up! Thanks again for hosting this great theme Maggie.

Raj @ Flip Cookbook January 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm

PS — The link to Heather’s website for next month’s round up has some extra characters in it and isn’t working.

dee m. January 30, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Zoweeee! What a great post! I have been loving all the recipes I have tried in this post. My eyes lit up when I saw that Manuka Honey was posted as well. I have been using Manuka Honey for the last 4 years. Four years ago, I was diagnosed with having ulcers. My gastroentologist gave me no choices but to take prescription meds for it. My body reacted horribly to the meds. An old friend told me of Manuka, that he had taken it for several years for his ulcers. I didn’t think I had anything to lose by trying it. I have been med free for 4 years. My husband literally ate Antiacids by the large bottle full every 2 wks for his hearburn and acidy stomach. He has been antiacid free for the last 2 years. We both take it twice a day, or as needed. I love it plan, in tea, on toast…countless ways. The healing benefits are phenominal. Cleveland Clinic, here in Ohio, uses it now for healing of their burn patients on their dressings. Thank you for posting. Prices can vary from $12.99 to $35.00.

Iris January 31, 2012 at 12:04 am

Beautiful roundup! Thanks for taking the time to host this month!

Alisa January 31, 2012 at 11:17 am

What an awesome theme Maggie! And I’m amazed by the level of the contributions. Some I enjoyed already this month, but I’m clicking over to a few others.

Heading to vote for you now, but be sure to remind us each day!!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free January 31, 2012 at 11:19 am

This is one amazing round-up, Maggie! Man. If you just ate from all of these recipes for a couple of weeks, there is NO WAY we could not be anything but in picture perfect health! What a great job you did here!!

Alta January 31, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Awesome round-up! I love all of these dishes. Gonna go check out the few I haven’t already seen. Thanks for hosting!

Cara January 31, 2012 at 8:34 pm

What a great roundup! I’m kicking myself for not finding participating this month as it’s such a great theme. Oh well, next time I must remember!

Vicky February 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm

What a great selection! I’m going to enjoy reading these posts! Thank you Maggie!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free February 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I’m totally blown away by the creativity of this group. Incredible!! So many great recipes all focused on healing. Maggie – you did an outstanding joy. The topic is so fitting for this time of year, too.

xoxo,
Amy

ella@lifeologia February 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Wow what a great round up!
I’m all for ‘healing’ foods – this list needs to get bookmarked ;)
Doing that now!