Pumpkin Granola

by Maggie on November 10, 2011

Since Thanksgiving seems to center around pumpkin, I thought I would share my most recent recipe for Pumpkin Granola. It’s a great way to switch up your standard gluten-free granola, and it’s so delish!

Granola is a favorite of Pete’s. I can’t count the times I’ve gone to the granola jar, only to find it’s empty…two days after I made it! Pete eats it for breakfast, as a mid-day treat, and as a bedtime snack!

Pumpkin Granola

We like to eat our granola with cold almond milk.  You could also sprinkle some over your yogurt, or eat it right out of the jar.  I won’t tell.

2 cups quinoa flakes

3 cups certified gluten-free oats (we use Creamhill Estates )

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup sesame seeds

1 cup walnuts

¾ cup coconut oil, liquefied

½ cup pumpkin puree

1/2 cup maple syrup

½ tsp ground cloves

½ tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tbsp vanilla

TO ADD AFTER IT’S BAKED:

1 cup raw pumpkin seeds

½ cup flax seeds

1 cup chopped and pitted dates

½ cup hemp seeds

Line a large baking tray with parchment. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the oats, seeds, and nuts in a large bowl (I use my almighty KitchenAid mixer).  Combine the oil, pumpkin puree, syrup, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Spread on prepared baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes. You MUST watch this and stir regularly to prevent from burning. The edges like to brown faster so make sure you mix them into the middle. I usually stir the granola after the first 10 minutes and then every 10 minutes after that.

NOTES:

We have used buckwheat flakes too. If you can’t tolerate any kind of oats, try using all quinoa oats and buckwheat flakes. We’ve done this before and it does work.

We store ours in a glass bowl or jar with an air-tight lid. After a few days we usually throw what’s left in the freezer and eat it right out of the freezer.

Nut-Free? Try adding some of Enjoy Life’s Nut-Free Trail Mix immediately after the oats and other nut-free ingredients have finished baking. Combine and let cool.

Other Pumpkin Recipes from She Let Them Eat Cake

Gluten-Free and Vegan Pumpkin Bread
Gluten-Free and Vegan Pumpkin & Pear Streusel Muffins
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
This is linked up to Love Your Heart Event at Cara’s Cravings.

Ricki November 10, 2011 at 7:13 am

What a great idea for granola! And a great way to use some of that extra pumpkin this time of year. I see myself snacking on this for quite some time. . . . :)

maggie ann November 10, 2011 at 7:54 am

This sounds good, I think I’ll try it if I can get the quinoa flakes, but I could probably use extra oatmeal. I am assuming since your photos are copyrighted….I can’t ‘pin’ them for Pinterest. Am I right?

Hallie @ Daily Bites November 10, 2011 at 8:16 am

So pretty and hearty! Pumpkin is kind of like chocolate in my opinion. It makes everything better. :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free November 10, 2011 at 10:08 am

Maggie, this recipe looks wonderful. I love pumpkin granola. And we go through it like hot cakes in our house! Seriously! I usually triple a batch and it still seems like we run out quickly. I have a feeling my husband is a big culprit in this, just like Pete. LOL
I am soo trying your recipe. It looks so hearty. And I never thought about eating it straight from the freezer. What a good idea!

noreen November 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

I think you forgot to tell us when to add the pumpkin puree to the mix!! (But I am making it as I type this and it smells amazing!)

Shirley @ gfe November 10, 2011 at 12:34 pm

You made this just for me, didn’t you, Maggie! (Never mind Pete and the kids. LOL) Can you believe that I who loves all things pumpkin has never had pumpkin granola? This is a serious situation that must be remedied immediately! I think I’ll make a batch of pumpkin butter and add that instead of puree. I can probably skip some of the spices when doing so. Oooh, can’t wait to try this one, Maggie–thanks! And you’re right about Kim … she’s definitely the Thanksgiving queen. :-)

glutenfreeforgood November 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Maggie,

You are such a girl after my own heart. We like the same things! I make my own granola and have since the 1970s (you weren’t born yet). I love the idea of adding pumpkin puree. That’s a new one on me and I thought I have made granola every which way possible. Good one!

Melissa

Alisa November 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm

This sounds delish Maggie! I really need to venture beyond just oats and nuts in my granola.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats November 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I saw you said pin-ning was fine, so I pinned away. This looks wonderful :)

Alta November 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love granola. I love pumpkin. I think I would double-love this. And to add to Hallie’s comment, why not throw mini-chocolate chips in this? ;-) Cause pumpkin and chocolate go together!

Laura @ GFPantry November 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

Pumpkin makes everything better…and granola is a fabulous idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

Lexie November 15, 2011 at 11:41 am