Gluten-Free and Vegan Zucchini Pancakes

by Maggie on August 15, 2011

I don’t know about you, but everywhere I turn I am finding garden-fresh zucchinis!

So what’s a girl to do?

Put zucchini in everything!

I’m considering grating and freezing a bunch for future recipes: muffins, soups, and now pancakes! Can you imagine how easy it would be to break off a chunk of frozen grated zucchini and throw it in a recipe?

My kids love pancakes. They would happily eat them every morning for breakfast. My almost five-year old (gulp) is starting school in a matter of days (bigger gulp) so I will be keen on recipes like this so I can send him off to school with a healthy breakfast in his tummy.

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Egg-Free Zucchini Pancakes

Inspired by This Homemade Life. One of my new fave blogs.

1 cup millet flour (brown rice flour works too)
½ cup almond flour
½ cup tapioca flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup grated zucchini
2 tablespoons ground chia mixed with ½ cup water (or 5 tbsp ground flax mixed with 6-7 tbsp water)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup non-dairy milk (I use my homemade nut milk recipe)
2 tablespoons maple syrup

1. Combine millet flour, almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
2. Stir in grated zucchini.
3. Mix ground chia and water in a smaller bowl and let sit for 2 minutes.
4. Add vanilla, non-dairy milk, and maple syrup.  Mix well.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
6. Drop by ¼ cup measurements into a preheated pan. Let the top bubble and then flip.  Cook until done.

See my pancake making tips below.

Yield: A bakers dozen

Pancake Making Tips

• Preheat your frying pan for a while before cooking pancakes. Cook them on a low temp too. I usually do it at a low-medium temperature.
  • Be patient. Clean up while you’re waiting to flip the pancakes. Seriously. I am not good at waiting.
  • We do all our cooking with coconut oil. But it can be tricky with pancakes. So use olive oil or grapeseed if you want to play it safe.
  • We freeze leftovers in between pieces of parchment paper in a ziploc bag. Makes for much easier removal and then we just throw the frozen pancakes in the toaster to heat them up.

And by the way, my kids haven’t even noticed the zucchini.

This post is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Looking for more gluten-free and vegan pancake recipes?  Ricki Heller has some great recipes in her book Sweet Freedom: Desserts You’ll Love without Wheat, Eggs, Dairy or Refined Sugar.

Ricki August 15, 2011 at 7:49 pm

They look GREAT! I would certainly eat these for breakfast! (Hope you submit them to Wellness Weekend–ends in 2 hours!!) :D

Nina August 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Maggie, these are brilliant! So good to know about the coconut oil w/ these…I use it for all my cooking also. Yum! Makes me want to make up a batch now at 930pm — ha! :)

Stephanie August 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I just made a sweet potato and zucchini frittata, and can’t get enough of it!

I love storing my shredded zucchini in the freezer! When defrosting for baking, I let it sit in a strainer for awhile, so some of the excess liquid drains off.

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli August 16, 2011 at 6:20 am

Yumm-o! I grated and froze zucchini in one cup heaps.

Hallie @ Daily Bites August 16, 2011 at 6:23 am

Yum. I think these would also be great with shredded carrots and raisins…maybe like a Carrot-Raisin Pancake?? (I love carrots and throw them in everything!) Hugs to you and your little one as school starts!

Heidi Oran August 16, 2011 at 7:43 am

YUM! Great idea, I’m on it ;)

Caitlin August 16, 2011 at 8:08 am

i’m in love with zucchini, too! these pancakes look delicious!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free August 16, 2011 at 11:10 am

Oh my! These sound absolutely amazing. I just might make a huge batch of these for dinner tonight with all of the zucchini’s I have (I am in the mood for Brinner) and then freeze them for our school mornings. I love all of the ingredients! ;) And I am NO good at waiting to flip my pancakes either! Seriously, I get mad at myself all of the time! LOL

Karen August 16, 2011 at 11:21 am

I shred mine and measure it and freeze it in pre measured packets. For my zucchini muffins I need 3 cups. For my pancakes I use one cup. For adding to soups/stews, I use two cups. So I measure it out, mark the package, and grab the size I need to make what I want to make. Makes it SO much faster to throw together a muffin or pancake with no messy shredding in that moment. I take it out early to thaw and then drain it in a colander to get the exess water out of it. Squeeze more liquid out and then go as normal. Yummy hints of summer in the middle of winter. Lovely…

Barb August 16, 2011 at 11:31 am

You should freeze it! I throw it in soups, casseroles, stews, and spaghetti sauce. Anything to get another vegetable into my husband. For baking, you may have to remove some of the liquid that will appear when it thaws.

Tracy August 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for an egg-free pancake recipe. I’m going to use the zucchinis that grew to mammoth size while I was out of town to make some of these!

Whitney - MWS August 16, 2011 at 7:33 pm

These. look. awesome!

Shirley @ gfe August 19, 2011 at 7:28 am

Not sure how I missed this recipe, so I’m really glad Kalinda had it in her roundup this week! I have two zucchini and I’m making these pancakes either for breakfast or lunch. I’ll report back! And I freeze zucchini, too. I usually have enough to last most of the winter. ;-)

Thanks, Maggie! xo,

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free August 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Fab recipe Maggie. I think I am the only person in the word who can’t grow zucchini – but it is worth a trip to the store for some to make these babies!

Megan (Best of Fates) August 23, 2011 at 8:46 am

I love zucchinis but have never really done anything with them other than cook and eat – now I feel all unadventurous. Obviously I need to experiment a bit!

Nadya August 23, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I also made zucchini pancakes the other day! Threw some chopped zuch in the blender with the milk (coconut) & also do all my cooking in coconut oil. My 11 year old granddaughter loved them. I use 1 Tbsp fresh ground flax (added to the the blended liquid) for lighter consistency. One batch I made with extra green smoothie & the zucchini – the 6 year old wasn’t as fond of those, but the older girl & I gobbled them up!
I also found a recipe for GF zucchini/ flax ‘wraps’ (or if you make them smaller & dehydrate longer, they make great crackers! http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=969032

Iris August 30, 2011 at 8:28 am

Mmm I love zucchini pancakes! Thank you for reminding me of these…my stepdad used to make them with zucchini and carrots, and I haven’t had them in years!

Annie September 5, 2011 at 7:03 am

Yum yum I finally got around to making these this morning and they were delish! My mum always puts orange juice in her pancakes rather then milk and it gives them such a nice flavor. I didn’t have an handy this morning but I’m going to try it next time. Question though – my pancakes didn’t get very fluffy but I used two eggs instead of the chia/water mixture. Do you think that could have done it??

Chelle February 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

These are awesome! I am so happy my kids just ate zucchini! I used 2 TB coconut oil instead of maple syrup (can’t do the syrup), hazelnut flour, coconut milk, and also a few dairy free chocolate chips to disguise the zucchini a bit. They were a huge hit. Thank you!

Sanja August 26, 2013 at 5:55 am

These are great! I made a savoury version – instead of vanilla and cinnamon I put two teaspoons of salt, put two garlic cloves and instead of almond flour I put pumpkin seed flour. EXCELLENT!