Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, and Dairy-Free Blueberry Buckle

by Maggie on June 22, 2011

I don’t know about you, but I am in love with blueberries. They are a powerful little berry. They’re super high in antioxidants, and did you know they actually have anti-aging effects? That’s why we start each day with a shot of organic blueberry juice.

My two-year old loves snacking on frozen blueberries. Her fingers and mouth get stained and stay stained most of the day. Her clothes undoubtedly get spotted with blue smears, as does the floor. Sometimes I even find a smooshed blueberry on the dog.

All in a day’s work.

My Dad loves blueberries too. I think the three of us share some serious genealogy (hello sweet tooth). My Dad loved this Blueberry Buckle, it was one of his Father’s Day treats – the way to his heart is through his sweet tooth.

Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, and Dairy-Free Blueberry Buckle

Inspired by Anna Olsen

½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
½ cup coconut sugar
3 tbsp applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup quinoa flour or brown rice flour
½ cup millet flour
½ cup arrowroot
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries

Buckle Topping

1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup millet flour
½ tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp coconut oil, room temperature

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch round spring form pan.

Cream coconut oil and sugar (cane sugar or sucanat would work too). Add applesauce and vanilla and beat until well combined.

Sift together quinoa flour (or brown rice flour if you’re looking for a more mild flavor), millet flour, arrowroot, baking powder and sea salt. Add alternately with milk until combined. Scrape batter into cake pan and smooth with a spatula.

Prepare the buckle topping by combining sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Work in coconut oil with your fingers until thoroughly combined.

Sprinkle berries on top of batter and then sprinkle with buckle topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes – test with a toothpick for doneness.

I made mine the night before and served it for Father’s Day brunch. It was delicious.

This post is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays (make sure you check out Amy’s gorgeous new site design)
June SOS Kitchen Challenge – the ingredient this month is blueberries!
Living Free’s Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten-Free Father’s Day Edition
Real Food Weekly
Iris’s Gluten-Free Birthday Cake Challenge!
Coconut Oil Giveaway

Ricki June 22, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Looks amazing! Totally coincidentally, I have a “buckle” (not really sure which one it is, buckle, crumble, cobbler etc) in the oven right this minute! So I can almost smell your creation :D I’m sure I’d love it, too–lucky dad of yours! Thanks so much for submitting this to the SOS this month!

Maggie June 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Thanks Ricki! I guess great minds think alike. Or, great bakers bake alike! I’m happy to be back for this month’s SOS.

Suzanne June 22, 2011 at 3:07 pm

This looks delicious. I have a bunch of blueberries right now, so I definitely want to make it. Do you think it would work in a 9×9 square pan?

Maggie June 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hi Suzanne – I have only tried it in a spring form pan but I’m sure you could try it in a 9×9. Just make sure to grease it well. Let me know how it goes!

Ricki June 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Me again–I think mine didn’t work out as well as yours! Tasty, but really ugly. Next time I follow your recipe! :D

glutenfreeforgood June 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I think you, Ricki and I are all on the same wavelength. I made strawberry/rhubarb crumble, cobbler, buckle today. I got some rhubarb in my CSA box, so I thought I’d make myself a treat. Your blueberry version looks gorgeous! And I love the idea of using quinoa and millet as a nice toasty flour blend. Now, please tell us the difference between all these descriptive words (cobbler, crumble, buckle). I have to admit to being new to the term buckle. =)

Melissa

Maggie June 23, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Melissa you inspired me to find a proper definition for us – so naturally I googled it (because google is the almighty research tool these days…ahem). A buckle is layered – cake, berries, crumble. Interesting! The flavor is lovely and strong, which is nice to balance out with sweetness. I am a quinoa flour lover. Hope your crumble/cobbler/buckle was delish!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli June 23, 2011 at 6:42 am

Hooray for blueberries! I strip the kids to eat berries, it’s simpler on the laundry. Sadly millet flour has become hard to find here.

Maggie June 23, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Oh Kristin that is a gem of an idea – wouldn’t that fit under your She Who Thinks Fastest Wins contest? I think so! Sub out the millet with something like brown rice or sorghum. No prob!

Alta June 23, 2011 at 11:20 am

This looks superb! I have about 4 pints of blueberries I just stashed in the freezer…think I need to use some to make this!

Maggie June 23, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Alta, 4 pints? I am envious! Get those blueberries into a Buckle woman :)

Shirley @ gfe June 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

“All in a day’s work.” LOVE that! I think you’d have to call it buckle no matter what it’s called because alliteratively it just sounds better, right? ;-) I admit that I’m still learning to love blueberries. I made a no-bake pie last year that we enjoyed (Mr. GFE more than myself), but I’ve still been leery a bit. I think it’s a texture thing. Debi inspired me to get more blueberries. So far I’ve made beverages that I loved (no texture issues! LOL) and next up is baking. Hopefully, it will turn out as good as your buckle, Maggie!

And hey, can’t you enter this in the SOS Kitchen Challenge this month? :-) Oh, wait, I see you did … thought you had to display badge … maybe not. Rambling out loud … I’m leaving now.

Maggie June 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Thanks Shirley! You always catch my little offside comments, I love that! I am fairly new to the blueberry field too. In fact, it was just last year that I started eating them fresh by the handful. Now I have to hide them from myself. Sooooo good. Yep, the badge is optional. Sometimes I throw badges in if it fits with the post. What I really need to do is install it in my sidebar. I shall put that on my blog to-do list. Eeek! xo

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free June 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I love Blueberry Buckles!! My grandma used to make it all of the time and she called it Blueberry Boy Bait!?! Cannot say I really understood the name back then. LOL Anyway, I will totally be making this! It looks delish! xo

Maggie June 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Kim I love that! Blueberry Boy Bait! Why didn’t I think of that? Thanks.

Iris June 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I have to find some coconut sugar so that I can try this and Alta’s cake too. I’m actually a huge fan of blueberry buckle, so this would be a perfect birthday cake for me!

Maggie June 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Hey Iris – I love coconut sugar. It’s such an easy sub for cane sugar and it has a much better taste to it! Happy birthday soooooon!

Shirley @ gfe June 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hey Maggie, follow-up question, what if my room temp for my coconut oil is liquid? Will that work or does it have to be firmer like butter consistency? Think I’m making this tomorrow for some special gf guests I’m having. ;-)

Maggie June 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Great question Shirley! I am quite sure it will work just the same. Measure it in a dry cup though. Know what I mean? 80 percent of the time I work with liquid coconut oil so it’s just a nice treat to be able to beat it like the butter baking days of yore :) As we both know, the beating adds air so just make sure you still beat it well. Let me know how it goes.

Shirley @ gfe June 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Thanks, Maggie! Will let you know for sure. :-)

Gretchen June 24, 2011 at 6:33 am

Thanks for a yummy looking (and seemingly very successful) creation. I need to try yours now because blueberries are really in season here.

Maggie June 24, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hi Gretchen, you are so welcome! It was successful and easy – my kind of treat. Blueberry season rocks!

Annie June 24, 2011 at 6:53 am

My toast is seeming pretty lame right now Maggie! Blueberry Buckle for breakfast!?! Can I come to your next brunch please? :D

Maggie June 24, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Annie I would love to have you over for brunch! Let’s book a date :)

Matt @ FaveDiets June 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm

This looks unbelievably tasty! I absolutely love blueberries too, to the point that I can never keep enough around too cook with. It’s not quite blueberry season yet by me, but I’m eagerly anticipating seeing the first fresh blueberries of the year soon.

Have any interest in sharing this recipe in my summer recipes blog hop? – http://www.favedietsblog.com/the-healthy-hop-june-edition/

Maggie June 25, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hey Matt! Thanks for stopping by! I am the same with blueberries – do I actually save a cup to bake with? Or just eat the all fresh? Dilemmas. I’ll head over and check out your Healthy Hop, sounds cool!

Debi June 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I love this Maggie. It was like a mix of coffee cake and a dessert from back home. Good for breakfast, snack, or dessert! :D

Maggie June 25, 2011 at 8:38 am

Hi Debi – So glad you enjoyed it! It is ideal for any of the above. I can imagine how yummy it would be for dessert, with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream of course :)

Jeanette June 25, 2011 at 7:46 am

I just came across your blog via Heidi’s newsletter – what a beautiful blueberry buckle, so moist and full of whole grain goodness.

lynn @ the actor's diet June 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

this looks amazing! i love the word “buckle” for a dessert.

Maggie June 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Thanks Lynn!

Vanessa Hill July 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hi,

This dessert looks fabulous!

I was curious, has anyone cooked with Stevia? I’m wondering how that would taste without the coconut sugar. I currently have a yeast overgrowth and an DYING for something a little sweet. Blueberries are ok, so I thought I might give it a whirl and just make sure not to overdo myself or overeat on the carbs or sugar. May be hard since this is making me hungry as I type this!

I may have to start drinking organic blueberry juice too!!

Maggie July 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Hi Vanessa – Ricki from Diet, Dessert N Dogs uses stevia in her vegan and gluten-free baking. Do you know her blog? It will be a great resource for you! Yes, you need to drink some organic blueberry juice. It’s soooo yummy!

Michael Lange Ocala July 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

Reminds me of coffee cake. I also don’t eat grains so would there be a good substitute for the rice flour and millet?

Maggie July 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Hi Michael – It is definitely a coffee cake. I’m not very familiar with entirely grain-free baking. You’d have to play around with it using coconut flour and almond flour. Let me know if you do!

Cara August 29, 2011 at 6:35 am

I can’t seem to get enough blueberries either. Thanks so much for sharing this in my coconut oil roundup!

RE August 1, 2012 at 9:41 am

Wowowowow

Am I excited to make this. When my baby wakes up from his nap were going to buy the missing ingredients!

So happy this uses coconut sugar! No eggs or dairy and gluten free too! Those are our allergies and we have major sweet tooths here. :)

Maggie August 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm

You’re so cute RE :) I hope you and your babe love the pie, and if your babe is too wee for pie, I guess you’ll have to eat his share!

Debbie C September 1, 2012 at 11:37 am

I came upon your site and I wanted to thank you for sharing with the world your recipes and your experiences. I’m a mother of a 3 yr old son with multiple allergies and navigating the “Living without” experience is overwhelming as the learner and the teacher to my family and friends. I tried the blueberry buckle recipe, substituting sorghum for millet flour (can’t seem to find it in Winnipeg, Canada yet), and the crust tasted like sweet graham cracker cookie! Totally tastes like it was made with wheat and hubby says this recipe is a keeper.
I’ve been recommending your site to others, keep up the good work!

Maggie September 2, 2012 at 10:16 am

You’re so sweet Debbie, thank you SO much for reporting back. I’m so glad this recipe was a hit for you and your family. I’ve got a lot of blueberries in the fridge, I just might have to bake some buckle :)

AJ November 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I second what Debbie said! My daughter is two yrs old with multiple food allergies. I am LOVING your site. You have no idea what a help it has been! Right now I have this buckle in my oven. Smells divine! I also subbed sorghum for the millet. Im using local blueberries that i froze from this past summer. Yum! Thank you again, Maggie!

Maggie November 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Thanks so much AJ! That’s so sweet of you – I hope you enjoyed the buckle. Now I’m craving it :)

AJ November 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Ooooh, this was our snack accompanied by homemade almond milk. Fab! I cut the sugar in half and it was still awesome! A keeper. Thank you, thank you, Maggie!

Beverly Kendrick February 4, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I have idscovered I can eat eggs if I discard the white. I have blueberries, but not some of the other ingredients.

I love buckle. I’m going to start adding some ST5 to my recipe. See:www.beverlykendrick.stemtech.com It will make my recipes more nutritious. All products are gluten free. We want to compile a cookbook of recipes using ST5.

I’m learning to cook gluten free and working aroundnumerous other food allergies as well.

Thanks for the recipe.
Bev

Maggie February 6, 2013 at 10:43 am

My son is like that too Barbara. We make him very yellow eggs :) – but that’s good because that’s where most of the nutrition is!
Have a great day!
Maggie

Edwina July 11, 2013 at 12:34 am

Thanks for sharing this lovely sounding recipe. I’m trying to look for a gluten, dairy and egg free birthday cake for my son and this may just be the one! Thanks!

Maggie July 11, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Thanks so much Edwina! Let me know how it goes – and happy birthday to your son!

barb May 18, 2014 at 9:27 am

I buy buckwheat groats from the health food store that have been soaked and sprouted and then dehydrated, and then I grind those to make my buckwheat flour. Can I make my own millet flour by grinding the millet I find in the bulk food area of Whole Foods? And same for the quinoa flour?

Maggie May 20, 2014 at 9:24 am

Hi Barb – YES! You can totally do that. Isn’t that awesome?
Happy grinding, ha :)