Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies (With A Twist)

by Maggie on May 16, 2011

One cannot have enough cookie recipes.

Sometimes I’m in the mood for double chocolate chip cookies and sometimes I’m in the mood for peanut butter cookies.

This time though, I had a hankering for classic chocolate chip cookies.

We’ve redefined the word classic in our house. We take classic and twist it four times. Once to make it gluten-free, a second time to make it dairy-free, a third time to make it egg-free, and a fourth time to make it a little bit healthier.

I jumped up and down when after four BIG twists this recipe worked!

Why?

It was my first time using avocado as an egg replacer. Yes, avocado.

You won’t find any recipes at She Let Them Eat Cake that call for starchy egg replacer. I just can’t do it. I think we have enough white flours in our gluten-free baked goods. I don’t want to add anymore.

So you’ll often find me using natural ingredients like applesauce, ground flax, and more recently ground chia.

Replace ONE egg with any of the following (depending on the recipe):

• 3 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 ½ tablespoons of ground flax mixed with 3-4 tablespoons of water
  • 1 tablespoon of ground chia mixed with ¼ cup of water
  • ¼ cup of pureed avocado

I love the idea of adding avocado to the cookies, muffins, and other baked goodies my kids will be eating.

I have baked many recipes using egg replacers. It’s going to take some time to figure out when avocado works best.

For now, I’ve started with something every kid loves. Just don’t tell anyone what your secret ingredient is until they’ve tried the cookies.

Oh, and make sure your avocado is well pureed or you’ll end up with green chunks in your cookies.

Classic Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, & Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ cup room temperature coconut oil
½ cup honey OR agave OR maple syrup
½ a medium-sized avocado (approximately ¼ cup)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups almond flour
¾ cup arrowroot flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat.

In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil and the sweetener. Puree avocado. Add avocado and vanilla to oil and sweetener. Combine until well mixed.

In a medium-sized bowl combine almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder and soda, and sea salt. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Let cool for a couple of minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: Approximately 18-24 cookies depending on how much cookie dough you need to sample.

More Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes

This post is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Heidi @ Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom May 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Avocado, huh? I never would have thought to use that as an egg replacer in chocolate chip cookies but the results look amazing Maggie!

Heidi @ Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom May 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Oh, thanks for the link love too! xo

Stephanie May 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Awesome that you used avocado! Thanks for posting the different substitutions as well, I’ve been wanting to try using chia seeds to replace eggs, just for fun.

Ricki May 17, 2011 at 6:05 am

I love using avocado as an egg replacer! And I love that it imparts a teeny bit of color in some baked goods. These cookies look stellar! Any chocolate chip cookie is a friend of mine. ;)

Stephanie O'Dea May 17, 2011 at 7:34 am

What fun! I haven’t tried the avocado, but do use the flax pretty often because we seem to run out of eggs an awful lot around here.

neat! the kids would totally go for these. I’m trying to think of kitchen experiments for the summer.

Susan May 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

You are genius Maggie! How awesome is that?! Definitely on my must try list!

Kim May 17, 2011 at 9:31 am

Maggie,
That’s such a great idea to use avocado. I never thought of it, so I’m glad you did! I will be trying this soon.

hippie4ever May 17, 2011 at 11:20 am

I am super excited to try avocado as an egg replacer. Yippee!

Shirley @ gfe May 17, 2011 at 11:37 am

Oh, Maggie, you know I’m going to have to try this egg-free option! Another way to get the goodness of avocado in you, too. :-) They look fantastic, dear!

Melissa May 17, 2011 at 11:45 am

Love this idea! Though we’ll have to keep looking for a good recipe, no nuts for my son. I used to LOVE baking with almond flour though. :(

Zoe May 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I love this idea, Maggie! I’ve only worked with avocado in baking, sort of, previously with a chocolate frosting. You may recall them, they were paired with vanilla cupcakes for Diane’s Halloween GAHIGF.

Thank you also for linking my chocolate chip cookie recipe. I have an almond-based chocolate chip cookie recipe that are my Dad’s favourite. It’s the only kind that I make that he’ll eat! ;) I haven’t blogged them yet but I will.

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli May 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I use applesauce a lot as an egg replacer though I think I’ve just taken that last container out of the freezer. Might be time to visit the apple man at the market.
I am definitely daring enough to give the avocado a go. But will wait for summer to try these, I can’t send the almond flour to school. Darn.
Well, I could give them a try on the weekend, we have 3 days to eat them up…

Gigi May 17, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Maggie,

I don’t have to tell you what a huge fan I am of avos! I love using them in my baked goods from cookies to brownies etc.

The cookies look absolutely amazing!! You, my friend, have done it again!

xoxo,
Gigi

Lexie May 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

My boys will flip over these! Lovely recipe : )

xoLexie

Iris May 18, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Avocado? That’s awesome! I’m surprised it didn’t turn your cookies a funny color, but they look amazing!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free May 19, 2011 at 11:27 am

Umm…Can I just say this is Brilliant!! I have never thought about avocado as an egg replacer in cookies before! I will SO be doing that with my next batch! I love love love your secret twist! ;)
xo
k

Jenna May 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Oh… my! Brilliant! Thank you so much to whatever mental pathway your mind wandered down to figure this out – in addition to having celiac, I’m also allergic to eggs. (Along with a half dozen other things – including bananas which is one egg sub replacement that seems to pop up everywhere.) I am always on the lookout to find new ways to replace eggs in baked goods – something that can be so challenging in gluten free items. Eggs are such a heavily used replacement in gluten free cooking that often I come across bread recipes that seem to be nothing more than dried out sweet omelets! I’ve got about a dozen + avocados already mashed and tucked into the freezer in 1/4 cup portions (I toss it into smoothies each morning to add some healthy fat to what is usually my only real meal before dinner) so I think I’m going to have to try making these in the morning tomorrow! Thanks so much for something new to try. As odd as it sounds, it isn’t really eating GF that is hard for me these days… it’s getting rid of the eggs. This could be the perfect answer to a lot of my recent recipe hiccups.

The Healthy Apple May 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

I love adding ripe, mashed avocados to my baking recipes. I just made a chocolate chip bread with avocado this morning…such a great way to add in those healthy fats! Great recipe; thanks for sharing.

Gina @ Special Happens June 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Avocado? Really. Ok. Um…that one’s so interesting, I think I’m going to *have* to give it a try.

Wendy August 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm

My son is allergic to milk, soy, oat & coconut. What can I use instead of coconut oil?

AJ November 14, 2012 at 5:17 am

These are delicious! It is soooo wonderful to find recipes the whole family enjoys. My two year old loved these cookies, Maggie! She is allergic to many foods so finding safe and great recipes is wonderful. Love your site!