Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies (With A Twist)

by Maggie on May 16, 2011

One cannot have enough cookie recipes.

Sometimes I’m in the mood for double chocolate chip cookies and sometimes I’m in the mood for peanut butter cookies.

This time though, I had a hankering for classic chocolate chip cookies.

We’ve redefined the word classic in our house. We take classic and twist it four times. Once to make it gluten-free, a second time to make it dairy-free, a third time to make it egg-free, and a fourth time to make it a little bit healthier.

I jumped up and down when after four BIG twists this recipe worked!

Why?

It was my first time using avocado as an egg replacer. Yes, avocado.

You won’t find any recipes at She Let Them Eat Cake that call for starchy egg replacer. I just can’t do it. I think we have enough white flours in our gluten-free baked goods. I don’t want to add anymore.

So you’ll often find me using natural ingredients like applesauce, ground flax, and more recently ground chia.

Replace ONE egg with any of the following (depending on the recipe):

• 3 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 ½ tablespoons of ground flax mixed with 3-4 tablespoons of water
  • 1 tablespoon of ground chia mixed with ¼ cup of water
  • ¼ cup of pureed avocado

I love the idea of adding avocado to the cookies, muffins, and other baked goodies my kids will be eating.

I have baked many recipes using egg replacers. It’s going to take some time to figure out when avocado works best.

For now, I’ve started with something every kid loves. Just don’t tell anyone what your secret ingredient is until they’ve tried the cookies.

Oh, and make sure your avocado is well pureed or you’ll end up with green chunks in your cookies.

Classic Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, & Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ cup room temperature coconut oil
½ cup honey OR agave OR maple syrup
½ a medium-sized avocado (approximately ¼ cup)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups almond flour
¾ cup arrowroot flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
¾ cup dairy-free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat.

In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil and the sweetener. Puree avocado. Add avocado and vanilla to oil and sweetener. Combine until well mixed.

In a medium-sized bowl combine almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder and soda, and sea salt. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Let cool for a couple of minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: Approximately 18-24 cookies depending on how much cookie dough you need to sample.

More Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes

This post is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Heidi @ Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom May 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Avocado, huh? I never would have thought to use that as an egg replacer in chocolate chip cookies but the results look amazing Maggie!

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 6:13 am

Thanks Heidi – the result was pretty awesome! I was excited. I’ve read about it but had never tried it. Worked like a charm. I want to try it in muffins next!

Heidi @ Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom May 16, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Oh, thanks for the link love too! xo

Stephanie May 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Awesome that you used avocado! Thanks for posting the different substitutions as well, I’ve been wanting to try using chia seeds to replace eggs, just for fun.

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 6:14 am

Stephanie I love that you say “Just for fun.” That’s why I tried the avocado! We’re crazy bakers :)

Ricki May 17, 2011 at 6:05 am

I love using avocado as an egg replacer! And I love that it imparts a teeny bit of color in some baked goods. These cookies look stellar! Any chocolate chip cookie is a friend of mine. ;)

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 6:15 am

Thanks Ricki – These cookies were a slightly different color than normal! So cool, can’t wait to play around with it as an egg replacer!

Stephanie O'Dea May 17, 2011 at 7:34 am

What fun! I haven’t tried the avocado, but do use the flax pretty often because we seem to run out of eggs an awful lot around here.

neat! the kids would totally go for these. I’m trying to think of kitchen experiments for the summer.

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Hey Stephanie! I didn’t tell my kids that I put an avocado in them! I was a little too scared they wouldn’t eat them if I told them. But it’s only us adults that think foods like avocado only belong in guacamole. Know what I mean? Next time I’m just going to tell them! Thanks for the experiment idea. I kind of want to come to your house this summer :)

Susan May 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

You are genius Maggie! How awesome is that?! Definitely on my must try list!

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Susan you are so good for my ego :) They’re pretty darn tasty. Let me know how your gang likes them!

Kim May 17, 2011 at 9:31 am

Maggie,
That’s such a great idea to use avocado. I never thought of it, so I’m glad you did! I will be trying this soon.

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Thanks Kim! Let me know how yours turn out. I think I’m going to try avocado egg replacer in a quick bread or muffin recipe next! Wish me luck.

hippie4ever May 17, 2011 at 11:20 am

I am super excited to try avocado as an egg replacer. Yippee!

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Hippie4ever I looooove your excitement. Please come back often :)

Shirley @ gfe May 17, 2011 at 11:37 am

Oh, Maggie, you know I’m going to have to try this egg-free option! Another way to get the goodness of avocado in you, too. :-) They look fantastic, dear!

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Shirley – We think alike, we need to get foods like avocado into us as much as possible! It’s such a good fat! And I’m realizing just how versatile it is! I’ve been adding it to my smoothies…YUM! Thanks Shirley :)

Melissa May 17, 2011 at 11:45 am

Love this idea! Though we’ll have to keep looking for a good recipe, no nuts for my son. I used to LOVE baking with almond flour though. :(

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Hey Melissa – Try using sorghum flour, or another flour that you have in your pantry. I like using almond flour because of the protein and the way it works in a cookie, but if I couldn’t use nuts I would go to sorghum next. Let me know if you try it.

Zoe May 17, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I love this idea, Maggie! I’ve only worked with avocado in baking, sort of, previously with a chocolate frosting. You may recall them, they were paired with vanilla cupcakes for Diane’s Halloween GAHIGF.

Thank you also for linking my chocolate chip cookie recipe. I have an almond-based chocolate chip cookie recipe that are my Dad’s favourite. It’s the only kind that I make that he’ll eat! ;) I haven’t blogged them yet but I will.

Maggie May 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Zoe! I do remember your frosting – I love the idea of using avocado in frosting! Can’t wait to see your Dad’s fave cookie :) Gotta head over to your blog and sign up for Adopt A GF Blogger!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli May 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I use applesauce a lot as an egg replacer though I think I’ve just taken that last container out of the freezer. Might be time to visit the apple man at the market.
I am definitely daring enough to give the avocado a go. But will wait for summer to try these, I can’t send the almond flour to school. Darn.
Well, I could give them a try on the weekend, we have 3 days to eat them up…

Maggie May 18, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Woo hoo for homemade applesauce. Do you have a big freezer? You could try subbing another flour. Sorghum would work. Can’t wait for a 3 day weekend! Is Ken done school yet?

Gigi May 17, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Maggie,

I don’t have to tell you what a huge fan I am of avos! I love using them in my baked goods from cookies to brownies etc.

The cookies look absolutely amazing!! You, my friend, have done it again!

xoxo,
Gigi

Maggie May 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Hi Gigi – I am so envious of your free avocados :) I will definitely be using them in my baking again. Do you use them as egg replacers in your brownies and cookies? Thanks for sharing your sub tips on twitter last night! xo

Lexie May 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

My boys will flip over these! Lovely recipe : )

xoLexie

Maggie May 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Lex. Hope they love em! xo

Iris May 18, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Avocado? That’s awesome! I’m surprised it didn’t turn your cookies a funny color, but they look amazing!

Maggie May 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Thanks Iris – they were a slightly different color than they would be but still not noticeable to anyone but me.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free May 19, 2011 at 11:27 am

Umm…Can I just say this is Brilliant!! I have never thought about avocado as an egg replacer in cookies before! I will SO be doing that with my next batch! I love love love your secret twist! ;)
xo
k

Maggie May 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Well Kim, we’re a brilliant group :) I’m sure I’ve called you that too!

Jenna May 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Oh… my! Brilliant! Thank you so much to whatever mental pathway your mind wandered down to figure this out – in addition to having celiac, I’m also allergic to eggs. (Along with a half dozen other things – including bananas which is one egg sub replacement that seems to pop up everywhere.) I am always on the lookout to find new ways to replace eggs in baked goods – something that can be so challenging in gluten free items. Eggs are such a heavily used replacement in gluten free cooking that often I come across bread recipes that seem to be nothing more than dried out sweet omelets! I’ve got about a dozen + avocados already mashed and tucked into the freezer in 1/4 cup portions (I toss it into smoothies each morning to add some healthy fat to what is usually my only real meal before dinner) so I think I’m going to have to try making these in the morning tomorrow! Thanks so much for something new to try. As odd as it sounds, it isn’t really eating GF that is hard for me these days… it’s getting rid of the eggs. This could be the perfect answer to a lot of my recent recipe hiccups.

Maggie May 28, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Jenna you rock! Thanks for the comment. I love hearing from people like you! I think avocados are a great replacement for you. They add such creaminess, just like bananas! I’ve been adding avocado to my smoothies and they’re so lovely and creamy, I am totally going to steal your idea and freeze them in 1/4 cup portions. Such a great idea. Let me know how the cookies turn out, especially if you use thawed avocado.

The Healthy Apple May 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

I love adding ripe, mashed avocados to my baking recipes. I just made a chocolate chip bread with avocado this morning…such a great way to add in those healthy fats! Great recipe; thanks for sharing.

Maggie May 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Oh my I need some of the chocolate chip bread! Sounds awesome. Time to visit The Healthy Apple!

Gina @ Special Happens June 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Avocado? Really. Ok. Um…that one’s so interesting, I think I’m going to *have* to give it a try.

Maggie June 6, 2011 at 6:33 am

Yep Gina, avocado! Let me know how it goes!

Wendy August 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm

My son is allergic to milk, soy, oat & coconut. What can I use instead of coconut oil?

Maggie August 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Hi Wendy! Is he allergic to butter? I use coconut oil as a replacement for butter. You could also try soy-free earth balance or perhaps even grapeseed oil. Let me know how they turn out.

AJ November 14, 2012 at 5:17 am

These are delicious! It is soooo wonderful to find recipes the whole family enjoys. My two year old loved these cookies, Maggie! She is allergic to many foods so finding safe and great recipes is wonderful. Love your site!

Maggie November 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hi AJ – Thanks so much for letting us know! I’m sooooo happy you found something she can enjoy. Stay in touch!