Go Ahead Honey, It’s Our Gluten-Free Gingerbread House

by Maggie on December 15, 2010

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Egg-Free Gingerbread House

And it tastes (and looks) darn good!  If I do say so myself.

It was definitely a big project, but Callum and I had a lot of fun creating our first ever gingerbread house!

I used my recipe for gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free gingerbread cookies and it worked perfectly.

The hardest part was finding a dairy-free frosting recipe to glue it all together. I asked my friend Heidi from Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom and she sent me to this site. And boy did it glue!

The frosting was actually really annoying to work with but it definitely did the job, and Callum liked the taste of it (must’ve been all that icing sugar).

I think next year I will play around a little more and try to find a better glue recipe. This year was just about accomplishing our first ever gingerbread house!

Here’s what I did:

I baked the sides, roof, front and back at 350 degrees for 20 minutes because I wanted them to be hard – I wasn’t worried about making them eating-friendly.

I baked the chimney and accessories (people and trees) for 12 minutes.

I let the baked shapes sit for a day or two – I needed to break this ginormous task up into a few days in order to keep my sanity!

I had Pete help me glue it together – you definitely need a second pair of hands to do this part, and I knew I couldn’t rely on a sugar-fueled 4 year-old to help me!

After another couple of days, Callum and I decorated our gingerbread house (thank goodness it stayed standing!).

Callum had fun picking out our decorations. I decided to let go of my “Oh my goodness, there’s so much sugar in that!” sentiments and let him indulge a little!

We used Sweet and Sara marshmallows, India Tree sprinkles, gluten-free pretzels, Pure Fun organic candy canes, and Surf Sweets gummies as accents and roof decorations.

The side view of our house

The skating rink (no they're not sinking, they're skating...)

My favorite part - Callum's cute little roof!

Decorating the gingerbread house was actually a little bit stressful for me! I kept reminding myself that it was supposed to be FUN! And it was, it was just a bit of a rush to make sure the glue didn’t dry up before we were done!  And we were trying to get it decorated before the 2 year-old sister woke up!

This was our first ever gingerbread house experience, and you can bet that it’s a new family tradition! Callum has been bugging me every day to start eating it!

Callum chose a tree to try first!

We entered our gingerbread house in Cook It Allergy Free’s awesome contest. Please head over and vote for ours (it’s #12). You can vote once a day until Friday!  There are some pretty creative gingerbread houses!

This post is linked up to this month’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free event. Carol from Simply Gluten-Free is hosting and her theme is family traditions. Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free was created by Naomi from Straight Into Bed Cake-Free and Dried.

Have you linked up your gluten-free Christmas cookie yet? Win 1 of 4 great prizes, just by linking up or leaving a comment!

I hope you’re having lots of fun celebrating old and new traditions this holiday season!

Shirley @ gfe December 15, 2010 at 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing your experience, Maggie. Your house is just so cool. I think everyone loves Callum’s roof. It is just so whimsical and cute! :-) Loved the candy cane heart. Loved the skating rink! Loved all of it, really. Awesome job! Glad the boy gets to eat some of his hard work finally. ;-)

Maggie December 15, 2010 at 6:37 pm

You’re welcome Shirley. I am so glad that you like it! Callum loved the idea of putting a candy cane heart on it when I suggested it to him! Christmas through the eyes of our kids is so magical.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free December 15, 2010 at 11:51 am

Maggie, thank you for sharing all of your adventures in your house creation!! I just love your house – and that heart made out of candy organic canes? Priceless!!! I am so so happy and honored that you participated in the contest and I am also so amazed that this was your first attempt at a Gingerbread house. You guys did an awesome job and you had better tell Callum that he should be darn proud of his creation!!
Just going to update your link on the contest now to go to this post!
xo
k

Maggie December 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm

You’re the best Kim! Thanks for changing the link! I love being in the contest. Callum and I are already planning next years – he is demanding a snowman! Looks like I’ll be in the market for a snowman cookie cutter.

Pat @ Elegantly Gluten-Free December 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Your gingerbread house is adorable! So is that 4-year-old chomping on a tree ;-)

You’ve created some wonderful memories to cherish!

Lauren December 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Totally awesome!! I decided I’m not going to make the gingerbread house but settle for some delicious cookies instead. Three wee ones would be fun not by myself. Thanks for sharing!

Maggie December 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Thanks Lauren! I can’t imagine the whole process with 3 wee ones! Geez!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli December 16, 2010 at 6:57 am

Good work! I love the roof and the skating rink.
I am working up to being done with the premade kits. Next year we will bake our own. And by we I mean I will make my husband do it. He’s very good with rolling and cutting. I’d like to make little houses and have a village. That way each of us would have our own house to decorate.

Maggie December 16, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Kristin I love that idea – having your own to decorate. And I love the little village idea!

Megan December 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

What a creation! I love it! Building gingerbread houses are among my favorite memories of my son when he was little. Enjoy this time – it doesn’t last long!

Maggie December 16, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Hi Megan – Thank you, I am trying so hard to cherish these times! I feel lucky to be at home with my kids so that we can do this sort of thing!

Lauren December 16, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Well, Maggie, I should tell you I took your recipe and jumped into a new one of my own creation. I made gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, nut free Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie. I couldn’t have done it without the encouragement of your recipe and Karina @ glutenfreegoddess. Thanks, again! And, I still stuck with just cookies and not house-making but we voted for you guys!

Maggie December 16, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Yay Lauren! Thanks for coming back to let me know. I love the idea of adding chocolate. And the fact that your little babes liked them – that’s the best sign! Thanks for your vote.

Alisa Fleming December 16, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I absolutely love the pretzel fence. That is the icing on the cake!

Heather December 17, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Ohhhh, the skating rink is precious! That just made my night.

Maggie December 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Heather! Callum LOVED the skating rink. Definitely a winner!

Ricki December 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm

It’s a beautiful house–and I’m amazed at all the work that went into it! I have made a total of ONE gingerbread house in my life, and it was a bit of a disaster. Your creation is just gorgeous–I wouldn’t want to eat it! (though Callum looks like he’s really enjoying that tree) :)

Maggie December 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Hi Ricki – Thank you! It was a lot of work, but it was so worth it. Callum talks about it at least once day. Usually it’s to ask to eat MORE! I bet your gingerbread house would totally rock, and I’m sure the girls would be up for eating it!

Linda December 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm

What a great gingerbread house. I’m with agree with you. I think my favorite part is the roof!

Maggie December 18, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Thank you Linda! I sent Sweet and Sara’s a picture of the house and they LOVED it. They said it was the best thing they’ve ever seen done with their marshmallows. That’s pretty cool! Didn’t get me any free marshmallows though :)

Annie December 18, 2010 at 10:29 am

So I voted for your house but not because you asked us to or because I love you guys but because I honestly think its the best one! And that means a lot coming from a picky artsy type like moi. But honestly…a skating rink? Genius Maggie :)

Maggie December 18, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Hi Annie! Thank you so much, your compliments mean a lot to me. I bet one day you and Q will make the coolest house ever! I miss you!

Heidi @adventuresofaglutenfreemom December 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Sorry I’m so late in replying Maggie! I LOVE your gingerbread house!! The pretzels, ice skating rink…too cute my friend!

My kids are going to finish our house tomorrow (I was attempting a corn-free version for Kim’s contest but was caught seriously unprepared…all the decorations have corn in them, LOL!), so we will implement some of Chez Savage’s awesome ideas! :-D

And good for you on allowing Callum to indulge! When it only happens once in a while, it’s much more memorable and special anyway.

Heidi

Maggie December 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Heidi! I’m glad you like our house. I can’t wait to see the final version on the Glutadoodle mansion! Hope you’re feeling better. xo

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 28, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Your house is adorable! I wanted to do one with the boys this year, but ran out of time. Maybe I will do a winter house instead of it just being for Christmas.

Maggie December 29, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Sarena – I think you would be the coolest mom ever if you did a winter gingerbread house!

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free December 31, 2010 at 11:53 am

Thisa is just too freaky cute – love the details! Looking forward to seeing hwat you do next year :)

Maggie January 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Thanks Carol! We had fun and it will be even more fun next year when Callum is 5!