Gluten-Free and Vegan Apple Bread

by Maggie on September 28, 2010

Easy Apple Bread – Gluten-Free and Vegan

When I was doing my Teacher’s Education I lived in Vancouver, British Columbia. At the same time, my good friend Amy was doing her Masters on Vancouver Island in Victoria, B.C. These were the days. We had so much freedom and we were, in a way, finding ourselves out West while accomplishing higher education. Perfect, no?

Amy and I would get together on the weekends; she would ride the ferry to Vancouver or I would ride the ferry to Victoria. It was such a great experience for both of us.

On our weekend visits, we would go for these great long runs and then we would come home and EAT. We both loved to eat; even back then it was real food that we loved. We didn’t go to McDonald’s to eat. We went to get humongous homemade cinnamon buns, or beautiful, freshly baked bagels.

Amy and I both loved to bake too. She made this apple bread for me when I went to visit her one weekend. We devoured the entire pan. It was so yummy.

I finally pulled out the recipe in an attempt to recreate this delicious snack-time, breakfast-time, any-time bread. With a few substitutions I had a delicious and gluten-free version of Amy’s apple bread.  Oh how I wish I could share it with Amy after a long run (she found herself and a boy in Victoria, so we only see each other once a year).

Substitutions

I have learned a lot about gluten-free baking over the past 7 years. When I first started baking gluten-free I bought a book that told me I needed to keep a gazillion different flour mixes because each mix was good for certain baked goods. That totally turned me off and I stopped baking that way.

The next thing I did was to simply sub brown rice flour in any recipe that I was converting to gluten-free. This worked just fine, but the results were mediocre. We survived for a few years, until I really started playing with gluten-free flours.

My next step was to buy a mix from a gluten-free bakery near our house. This was a great way to bake, and everything I made tasted yummy. We were getting so much closer!

One day I started thinking about the very white flour mix I was buying from this bakery. I wondered about the nutritional value, so I decided to start researching other flours that might have more oomph to them.

Enter quinoa flour, sorghum flour, chickpea flour, teff flour, quinoa flakes, and so many more deliciously nutritious gluten-free flours. I often think us gluten-freebies are luckier than those gluten-fullers when it comes to the diversity of flour.

Amy’s recipe obviously calls for all-purpose or whole-wheat flour. I simply used my gluten-free all-purpose mix for this recipe, cup for cup. I am quite sure that any mix will do so make sure you try your favourite.

Here’s mine, just in case. I play around with my flour mix all the time. Sometimes I use almond flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch; it really depends on what I am making and what flours I have at hand.

Gluten-Free Flour Mix

2 cups sorghum flour
2 cups arrowroot flour
2/3 cup quinoa flour
3 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum

I store my mix in a glass storage container for approximately 2-3 weeks. If you don’t think you’ll use it by then, store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.

Amy’s recipe also called for an egg so I substituted with some ground flax mixed with water. And I used my favourite oil – coconut oil.

Going gluten-free, dairy-free, or even egg-free can seem daunting. But it’s really quite simple. I always share my baked goods with the gluten-eaters of the world. The only thing they notice is how good it tastes. And that’s not necessarily a compliment to me, it’s simply because it’s just that easy.

Gluten-Free and Vegan Apple Bread

Adapted from Amy’s Gluten-FULL Apple Bread recipe

• 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix (see above for my recipe)
  • 2 tsp organic cinnamon (have you tasted the difference?)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 1/2 tbsp of ground flax combined with 3 tbsp warm water
  • 1 cup coconut sugar (you could use cane sugar)
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil , plus more for brushing
  • 1 cup peeled, shredded apple (2 medium sized apples)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9×4 inch loaf pan.
2. Sift the gluten-free flour mix into a large bowl. Add the cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Mix well to combine.
3. Combine the ground flax and warm water in a small bowl. Add the sugar, apple, and oil. Stir well to combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with melted coconut oil.
6. Return to oven and bake for 15-20minutes. Remove from oven and check with a knife to make sure it’s done.
7. Let cool in pan. Remove bread from pan and cut into nice, thick slices.

So which old friend would you love to share this apple bread with?

This recipe is linked to Amy’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

Ricki September 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Great recipe! I’m already thinking I may not actually share this with anyone else ;) (okay, maybe my HH). Thanks so much for entering the SOS Challenge this month, and with such a beautiful recipe! :)

InTolerantChef September 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love apples and this recipe sounds lovely. I think I will share this recipe with a group I’m catering for this month with multiple InTolerance issues, I’m sure they’ll love it.

amy September 28, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I’ll make this just for memories of initial days on the West Coast. I love how a good recipe can take you back. Thanks Mags!

Beth September 28, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Oh, I am so happy I discovered your blog! This bread looks amazing. I agree about the flours — the more (to choose from) the merrier!

Beth September 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Ha, just realized I already am following you on Twitter (doh)! Ok, so I neglected to give my due diligence checking into your blog –but now I will be a regular for sure!!!

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com September 29, 2010 at 8:05 am

This looks wonderful Maggie!! I love apple recipes and I’m really impressed that you made this vegan! I loved reading your story about how you learned to cook & bake gf!! :-)

Linda September 29, 2010 at 8:13 am

I had to laugh when you talked about all the gf flour mixes. I felt the same way. I do use a couple of mixes, but mostly I like combining flours for each recipe. Your bread looks great and I would love to share it with my best friend from high school who I see every couple of years. Thanks for participating in Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

Celiacs in the House September 29, 2010 at 9:21 am

Isn’t it interesting how we all eventually grow out of the white starches and start to get adventurous and look for more nutrition in our baking. I made a spectacular failure of an apple cake recently. Probably should have tried your bread recipe instead of the flashy cake in a magazine.

Kim @ AFfairs of LIving September 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

THanks for participating in the SOS Kitchen Challenge! This recipe looks fantastic – I love the looks of your flour mix too, must try! Glad to have found your blog :) xoxo Kim | http://www.affairsofliving.com

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free September 29, 2010 at 11:01 am

Maggie, I went through a very similar transition for my flours! I was using the white based flours for a while and getting some good results until my world was opened up to all of the flours that can actually ADD nutritional value to the recipes! ;) Now I always try to add in almond flour, quinoa flour, buckwheat flour, or millet to many of my recipes!

This recipe looks so so good. I am actually going to share this one with my Food Allergy Parent support group that I present at. They will love this one!

And, the funny thing is that the old friends that I would share this with are all of the friends that I still hang out with now. Most of us cook this way and they would all really love this!
Hugs (sorry for the novel)

Love to Eat September 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Recipe sounds yummy!!! However, I don’t eat coconut anything. What kind of oil could I substitute for the coconut oil? We don’t have any intolerances in our house (I just love your recipes!) so any kind would be good for us.

Jenn September 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Ooooh this looks awesome!! I love how you talk about you came up with your gluten free mix, and mmmm your pictures are making me hungry!! Thanks for participating!!

Rachelle September 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hey Maggie,

To put this back to Amy’s original recipe…is it the same amount of whole wheat flour as your GF flour mix? We over did it apple picking…this recipe just might save me from wasting $30 of McIntosh apples!!! :) Miss you all. Must plan a visit soon! oxo ~R

gfe--gluten free easily September 29, 2010 at 6:42 pm

What a beautiful post, Maggie! It took me back to younger, more self indulgent days. ;-) That first photo is just lovely. I think both apple bread and apple cake speak comfort and joy to many. :-) I’m out of coconut sugar … must stock up!

Hugs,

jas September 29, 2010 at 8:51 pm

oh yum this sounds delicious!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 29, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Wonderful recipe!

To answer your question re: lentils – there is no need to soak, *however*, until I tried the Arrowhead Mills brand, I always found the lentils I bought to be fairly grimy, i.e. I was always picking stuff out. So I got into the habit of soaking them for a half hour, and think it is useful to do as a rule with lentils. I also think it cuts the cooking down by 15 minutes or so. But totally not necessary to soak them.

Annie September 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I made this oh so tasty loaf (dare I even call it cake?) this morning in preparation for my aunt coming to visit this afternoon. I used Bob’s mix because I had it handy and it turned out very crumbly but still delish – forks definitely needed though! I also grated the apple – was it meant to be diced? Could one or both of these things have made it crumbly? Either way we still ate half the loaf between the two of us (quincy had a couple bites too let’s not forget!) so whether it held together or not probably really doesn’t matter in the end!

Iris September 30, 2010 at 8:12 pm

This looks delicious. I’m still a bit of a novice in the area of converting regular to gluten-free recipes, but I liked hearing how you progressed in that area over time.

Poppie October 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm

This Apple Bread is in the oven with about 10 minutes remaining of the cook time. My house is filled with this wonderful aroma of apples and cinnamon….

Maggie October 5, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Hey Kim (@CookItAllergyFree) – You’re so lucky that all of your old friends are still close by to share food with! Most of mine are spread around so much :( I hope your Parent Support Group likes the recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Aubree Cherie October 6, 2010 at 4:43 am

Hey Maggie,

This looks so tasty! And I’m impressed with how the texture looks in regards to what ingredients you used. Very cool! I added it to my blog’s favorite recipes from last week post. :)

~Aubree Cherie

Andrea October 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm

This bread is so so yummy! I made it for my parents, and they almost ate the whole loaf in one sitting! I’m trying to sell them on the vegan/gluten-free life-style, and this recipe definitely helped the case!

Emily April 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Can I make this with a little less oil and a little less sugar and still be ok? I was thinking of subbing half of the oil with applesauce and using half the sugar? Do you think that would work? I can’t have a lot of fat in my diet (stomach issues!) or sugar either–even coconut sugar. :)

solitaire October 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm

hi maggie, so so happy to find your site! we are gluten and egg free. what subs can i do instead of the flaxseed? how much egg replacer? thanks heaps and cant wait to try some of your recipes!

Amanda Adamski November 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Hi! I have a question for you. My son is currently needing to go grain free along with his dairy and gluten free diet he already follows. I was going to make something nice for his special snack day at school but was told today that there is someone allergic to coconut!! ahhh i said no coconut and no nuts.. hmm. so in a recipe like this can i use grapeseed oil in place of coconut oil? Or maybe you have a suggestion for something else on your site i might make that would follow this restricition.

Colleen December 20, 2012 at 8:46 pm

WOW, talk about sinfully delicious! What a great recipe, I added some cardamon flour and clove – it was perfection. Although, I suddenly feel the need for a very long run :) Thanks for sharing!

Amanda December 23, 2012 at 11:47 pm

IF i wanted to use eggs in place of the flax, would it be one or two?

Ana August 29, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I tried this recipe yesterday and it was delicious! I modified it very slightly by using my own gf flour mix that has brown rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch. Also I added an extra apple and increased the coconut oil to 3/4 cup. I’m definitely writing this one down! I’ve been gluten free for almost a year now and it has been a rough transition for baking. Recipes like this give me hope that gluten vegan baking is delicious and I can share that message with my friends and family with something like this! Thanks for posting, I will be sure to cite your blog when writing or sharing and I can’t wait to try this with zucchini. :)

Cata October 18, 2013 at 8:15 am

What a great recipe! Thanks for posting! I made a few changes and it turned out delicious.

The changes I made were:
-G-free all-purpose pastry flour
-Turbinado sugar
-Less flax w/ almond milk & 1T apple cider vinegar
-Blended the apple with a bit of apple cider
-Sprinkled shredded apple skin on top

Vegans and non-vegans alike loved it! I’m sure I’ll be making it again and will definitely try it using the coconut sugar.