(What’s The Story) Morning Glory Muffins

by Maggie on August 3, 2010

Liv and I baked side by side for the first time this weekend.

Prior to this, I’ve mixed flour at the counter and she’s mixed flour and water at her little red table.  We’ve both been completely happy this way.

But Saturday I asked her if she wanted to bake with me – she was thrilled.  Livvie will be 2 at the end of October.  She’s more than ready! And she did a great job. There were only a few accidents along the way.

It was so much fun and so cute!  It took me back to Callum’s first days of baking – he was about the same age when he started standing on a chair beside me, helping me dump cinnamon and flour into the bowl, stirring ingredients “very gently”, and painting the muffin pan (with oil, not paint).

These are the moments I’ll never forget.

The first time I made these muffins I was pleasantly surprised.  They were sweet and moist.  However, it was also the first time I had baked with grapeseed oil and that quantity of almond flour so I had to play around with the ratios a few times until I got it right.

Well, I got it right. A perfect healthy whole food breakfast, snack, or even dessert.

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Egg-Free Morning Glory Muffins

1 cup almond flour

1/2 cup quinoa flour

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp sea salt

1  1/2 cup grated carrot or zucchini (I use my cheese grater to shred)

5 tbsp ground flax mixed with 9 tbsp warm water

1 mashed banana

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/3 cup grapeseed oil (or your preferred oil, I successfully tried olive oil too)

1/2 cup raisins (optional)

1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or grease with oil.  As an aside, we used to buy an oil spray, because that’s what you do.  Right?  WRONG!  You don’t need to and there are a couple of ingredients in those sprays that we just don’t need.  I keep oil for greasing in a small mason jar and I have a silicone brush.

Easy.  Cheaper.  Better.  The End.

In a large bowl, combine almond flour, quinoa flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt.  Add grated carrot and/or zucchini to the dry ingredients and combine.

In a medium-sized bowl combine ground flax-water mixture, mashed banana, vanilla, and oil.   Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until combined.  Stir in raisins and nuts if desired.

Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove from oven and let cool to the touch.

If you’re using a mini-muffin pan bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.  I always bake two trays of mini muffins (24) and 6 regular sized muffins.

Callum insists that we put sprinkles on the mini muffins.

These muffins are just as moist and delicious the next day, and the next day (if there are any left).

More Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Egg-Free Muffin Recipes:

Quinoa Banana Muffins

Buckwheat Muffins

Oatmeal Muffins

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

Desiree Fawn August 3, 2010 at 10:55 am

Yay! Such a cute pic of Liv — what a sweetie!
I think I might have to try these muffins too — mmm!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli August 3, 2010 at 1:41 pm

That is a great looking recipe. I would make it right now but I am at my mom’s and my flour selection is limited. I would use egg’s instead of flax. Flax is on my not to eat list.
Good point about the cooking spray. I bought a pump up spray bottle at a fancy kitchen party. I fill it with vegetable oil and it works great.

Alisa August 3, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Love this recipe and the fact that it is so darn wholesome. I featured it as my top pick on facebook today – http://www.facebook.com/godairyfree

Chickiepea August 3, 2010 at 7:12 pm

We love muffins and these sound delicious! :) Thanks!

Iris August 3, 2010 at 7:39 pm

What a great mix of ingredients…with these you get a good source of protein, healthy fats, and fiber. Perfect!

Martina August 4, 2010 at 7:16 am

Hey Maggie

Yummy recipe–I’ll be trying it out…maybe adding dates and coconut too! Question: Do you use silicone baking cups/tins? I have a dozen for cupcake/muffins and I love them… so easy to use! Everything that I’ve looked at online says that they’re safe… thoughts?

gfe--gluten free easily August 4, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Love this, Maggie! It’s so smart to get your kids cooking super young. Look how happy Livvie is! :-) And, these muffins … oh, my, I must make these as soon as the heat dissipates some. ;-)

Jenn/CinnamonQuill August 9, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Awesome, a recipe for morning glory muffins that isn’t full of sugar! I love that zucchini can be used, too. Oooo. I must get some quinoa flour. I haven’t had it in ages, so I can’t even remember if there is much of a flavor. When I’ve (sort of) ‘ground’ quinoa in my food processor there is a rather pronounced flavor. Then again, quinoa flakes have little to zero quinoa flavor! Not that I don’t like quinoa; anyway, I’m rambling!

Would it be ok to use this photo on my new site, GlutenFreeFeed.com? It is kind of like Tastespotting, but GF. Thanks :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free August 10, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Of course this recipe sounds great and so deliciously healthy, but I just had to say here that Livvie is the cutest thing EVER!! How excited she looks to be by your side helping!

Lexie August 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Oh, memories to treasure! Little ones sitting on the counter licking beaters and bowls : )

Aubree Cherie August 15, 2010 at 4:03 am

Hey Maggie,

Sorry I’m late at getting around to letting you know this, but I added this to my favorite top ten recipes from last week.

So tasty :)

~Aubree Cherie

Annie September 21, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I finally got around to making these muffins this afternoon (I’ve been wanting to since you first posted it). I figured I might as well try to include Quincy as you did Liv but as it turns out he’s still a little young. He kept sucking on the cinnamon shaker and smearing the batter all over everything! I guess we’ll have to try again in a few months. :) He loved the finished product as much as I did though thats for sure. Oh and we used prunes and sunflower seeds in place of the raisins and walnuts. Delicious and I don’t know why but they totally feel like fall!

Cindy November 25, 2012 at 7:59 am

I made these this morning and substituted 3 eggs and 2 tbsp of flax meal in place of the flax gel, and they came out wonderful! I also added 1 small apple, peeled and chopped, these are fantastic, I would recommend this recipe to anyone!

Stephanie January 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I love these muffins! I did use two eggs instead of the flax, and coconut oil. They are very soft and moist. Next time I make them I will replace some of the carrots with grated apple, and some coconut. One of the best gluten free baking recipes I’ve tried in over a year of eating gluten free!

Mélanie January 24, 2013 at 10:14 am

These are my new favorite muffins! I rarely like gluten-free muffins (which is unfortunate, since I can’t tolerate gluten) but I love these. They remind me of my mom’s muffins growing up. I’ve reduced the amount of carrots to 1 cup and I usually add a half cup of golden raisins and a half cup of pecans or walnuts. Yum! Thanks for this great recipe.

Katriona February 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for the great recipe. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed highly sensitive to eggs and dairy last week. We’ve tried a few new recipes but this is by far the best. On a play date today all the kids asked for a second muffin! They are really moist and naturally sweet. I added a sprinkle of turbinado sugar on top for crunch. Really a fantastic recipe. So impressed with your website. Thanks

Lisa April 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I just wanted to say that I have made several of your recipes, and all of them are on my keeper list! I’ve recently switched our whole family to a gluten-free, egg-free diet due to my son’s health issues. It’s been a struggle to find things that taste good. These muffins not only taste wonderful, the biggest compliment comes from my husband, “these don’t taste like they’re gluten-free!” My husband has been having the hardest time with the switch. :-) Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for your delicious recipes….they have made our transition to a real food diet so much easier!

Also, because I enjoy reading substitutions of other readers, I subbed coconut oil for grapeseed oil, brown rice flour for quinoa, and honey for maple syrup. I used both carrot and zucchini with a little shredded coconut….so, so good!!!

kate February 3, 2014 at 12:23 pm

the 5 tablespoons of ground flax would be the same as 5 eggs? Is that correct? I have to use egg whites as I cant eat flax right now. Thank you!

Kayrene Silvestri March 23, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I just made these muffins, but they did not ever set. Do you know why this may have happened?

Susan R. May 28, 2014 at 5:18 am

Hi, I was wondering what flour I could substitute for the Almond flour? Unfortunately I am allergic to nuts also so this makes things really difficult :(