Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

by Maggie on August 10, 2010

Ice cream for breakfast?

Well, you could if you wanted to.

In fact, I don’t know why you wouldn’t.

Especially once you check out this recipe for ice cream.

I would consider serving this to my babes for breakfast; with their pancake breakfast perhaps.

As you know, I ‘ve recently ventured into the world of making my own ice cream.  It is much easier than you think.

All you do is prepare the mixture and put it in your ice cream maker. And by preparing the mixture I mean pouring 3 or 4 or 5 ingredients into the food processor.  You could even use an immersion blender.

This recipe gets just a little bit more complex because I’ve soaked and added raw cashews (a healthy fat).  If you have a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix or a Blendtec) you don’t have to soak your cashews. Lucky ducks.

What I like about this recipe is the healthy fats.  Coconut milk and cashews. This is why I would serve it to my kiddies for breakfast.  And as a vegetarian, I could even justify serving it to my lovely little self for breakfast.

And check out the chocolate chips I used!  You could totally justify a bowl of chocolate chips for breakfast – they’re homemade!

Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

1 cup soaked cashews (I soak 1 cup of raw cashews overnight in 1 cup of water)

2 cups full fat coconut milk (2 cans)

1/2 cup maple syrup

1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

1 cup chocolate chips (I used Oh She Glows recipe except I used maple syrup instead of agave)

Add all of the ingredients (except the chocolate chips) to your blender or food processor and mix until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.  You could chill this mixture if time permits (I didn’t have time but my coconut milk and maple syrup were in the fridge beforehand).  Pour into your ice cream maker and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions.

Here’s the ice cream maker I use and it is so very easy.

Makes approximately 4 cups of delicious homemade ice cream.

Not sure if you want to invest the time to make ice cream?

Check the label of your favourite brand.  I bet homemade ice cream has less ingredients!

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free .

Alisa August 10, 2010 at 10:22 am

Oh my amazingness! That must be the richest ice cream ever! I’m all about making homemade chips too … but not a fan of the agave ones (not politically charged on that opinion – my husband and I don’t like the taste of agave). Maple syrup or other sweetener perhaps?

gfe--gluten free easily August 10, 2010 at 10:26 am

That does it! I’m moving in with you guys. You won’t mind a big kid at the breakfast table, will you? ;-)

I do want to make a version of the homemade chocolate chips some day. Desi (The Palate Peacemaker) had a recipe on her site a while back. Can’t remember what her sweetener was though.

Lovely, yummy recipe, Maggie!

Heidi @adventuresofaglutenfreemom August 10, 2010 at 10:46 am

I feel like an idiot! I just clicked on the link to the chocolate chips and left a comment for YOU! I think I’m in need of more coffee. ;-)

Anyway, your ice cream looks amazing, I want to lick the screen! I am excited to try the chocolate chips too, thanks for sharing the link.

This is what I plan on having for breakfast in my very near future!

xo
Heidi

Alisa August 10, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I can’t seem to get enough of your awesome recipes :) Highlighted on Go Dairy Free Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/godairyfree?ref=ts

Steph August 10, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Hi Maggie,
Looks yummy!
Do you know what I could substitute for coconut milk?
My little guy is allergic to that, too.
Thanks.
Steph

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free August 10, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Okay, first off, I cannot believe you actually made your own chocolate chips. Of all of the things I think to make myself, those have never been one of them. i must try that recipe! Second, this looks like such a perfectly simple recipe with so few ingredients. I had forgotten how easy it was to make ice cream, and this summer I decided to pull my maker out again! The kids think I am a cool mom this summer for sure – little do they know how healthy most of their treats are! hehehe

Jenn's Ice Cream Recipe August 11, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Looks delicious! Never tried sweetening a vanilla ice cream with maple syrup. Sounds pretty good!

Sophie August 14, 2010 at 4:37 pm

MMMMM,…that ice cream looks so luscious!! Waw!!!

Pretty apart too!

Aubree Cherie August 15, 2010 at 7:03 pm

LOVELY! Not just the recipe either, I love the photos :) What an interesting twist to ice cream, I’ll have to give it a go!

~Aubree Cherie

Aubree Cherie August 17, 2010 at 10:40 am

Hi again Maggie, I wanted to let you know that I added this oh-so-irresistible ice cream to my favorite recipes from last week. Can’t wait to expand my waistline with it :P Hehe

~Aubree Cherie

Julie August 18, 2010 at 10:55 am

Looks delicious! Is it 2 cups of coconut milk (which is close to one can) or two full cans?

Spa Sister August 29, 2010 at 6:18 pm

This was simply divine, Maggie!!!! I can’t wait to try it!

Nikki June 28, 2012 at 11:18 am

What can I use to substitute the cashew? My son has nut , dairy and soy allergy.