Rosemary Onion Crackers

by Maggie on July 27, 2010

I really wanted to call this post Maggie’s Gone Crackers.

I recently had the chance to go shopping at Whole Foods (food bloggers dream about this) and I bought some really yummy crackers.  They inspired me to make my own.  Look out Mary!

These aren’t your every day, “Mommy can I have some peanut butter and crackers?” crackers, although I think they taste super yummy with almond butter.  They’re a little fancy – whip up a batch next time you’re having your friends over for dinner.  Trust me, they will love them and you will totally impress them, “Yep, I made these.”  And if you bake like me, you’ll always have these ingredients on hand.

No one will notice that they’re naturally gluten, dairy, and egg-free crackers.  Heck, I think these even qualify as grain-free.

Rosemary Onion Crackers

1 cup ground flax seed
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 and 1/2 tsp rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey/agave)
1 tbsp flax seed (not ground)
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt for sprinkling (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Add the ground flax seed, sea salt, onion powder, and garlic powder to the bowl of your food processor.  Pulse just until combined.  Pour in maple syrup and pulse until combined.

Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in flax seed.

Place the cracker mixture in between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out until dough is about 1/4 inch thick. Don’t press too hard or the cracker dough will stick to parchment. To make for easier separation of crackers, lightly score the cracker mixture before putting it into the oven on a baking sheet.

Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and lightly press into the cracker dough.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes,  Check for doneness by pressing cracker – you want them to be crispy (mine took 20 minutes but I started checking at 18).

I can’t even tell you how easy these were to make.  Callum could easily make them for me while I’m next to him chopping veggies for supper.  It’s all about the food processor people – though I definitely think you could try them without.

These crackers taste even better the next day because the flavors have a chance to get all comfy with each other!  So go ahead and make them up a day ahead if you’re serving them for guests.

There are so many uses for these delicious crackers:  croutons, decoration on a warm bowl of homemade soup, or slathered in almond butter for breakfast.  You could even use them as crunchy bread crumbs.

I grind my own flax seed using a coffee grinder.  So easy.

There’s also so much potential for these crackers flavour wise.  Callum wasn’t keen on the rosemary flavour.  I could easily leave it out and I know he’d like them.

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free .

The possibilities are endless when you make your own food!  Wouldn’t you agree?

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats July 27, 2010 at 8:47 am

These look delicious. I have been on a cracker and bread kick myself – mainly using flax seeds as the base as well. Whether using the oven or the dehydrator, I end up with lovely results. I am adding this recipe to my list :)

Deanna July 27, 2010 at 8:57 am

Oh cool! I love this idea. I bet you could do a cinnamon version, too – for a sweet-ish cracker.

gfe--gluten free easily July 27, 2010 at 10:21 am

Wow! And, LOL, on Maggie’s Gone Crackers–love it! I probably missed it in your post (I kept re-reading), but what’s the pinkish purplish topping? Beet something. It’s so psychadelic, it doesn’t look real. ;-)

Hugs,

Maggie July 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm

@Shirley and @Betsy – The dip is coming in my Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger post! It will be up this Friday. Come back and check :) Thanks girls!

Gluten Free Betsy July 27, 2010 at 10:48 am

Wow…those look yummy! And look so easy to make. I was wondering too, what is the pink dip?

Mom (Gretchen) at The Gluten-Free Edge July 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm

OMG! These look so good I’m trying not to drool on the keyboard! I love the store-bought crackers but not the price. Too bad I can’t just pick one of these up off the screen. Thanks for sharing.

Iris July 27, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I’m always impressed with anyone who can make crackers!

Maggie July 28, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Thanks Iris! Really, it was so easy. But don’t tell anyone.

Kim Corrigan-Oliver July 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm

They look delish Maggie, crackers are on my list to try in the dehydrator very soon. May have to try out your recipe :)

Maggie July 28, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Thanks Kim. They are delish! How does using a dehydrator change things? I’ve always been very curious about them.

Alisa July 27, 2010 at 10:41 pm

I really need to get on this cracker-making bandwagon. I have never made them! I love the sound of rosemary and onion together, yum!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free July 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm

WooHoo! Maggie’s Gone Crackers!! Love it! The other morning my neighbor called me to tell me that she had left a gift at my front door – it was a bag of homemade flax crackers!! There were so yummy! Not sure what recipe she used, but she inspired me to make my own. You have just given me a great recipe to try, my dear!! These look great and easy enough!

Maggie July 28, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Thanks Kim! Too bad that name is already taken – sounds so good doesn’t it :) Um, I wish I had a neighbour who would leave healthy treats that we could eat at my door! Lucky girl.

Aubree Cherie July 30, 2010 at 8:47 am

I’m totally trying these. Even though Mary’s crackers make my mouth bleed (they’re so sharp!) I still eat them. They just taste so good. So yes, I’m beyond excited about these!!!

~Aubree Cherie

Maggie July 30, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Thanks Aubree. Hopefully these won’t make your mouth bleed :)

Ricki October 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Wow, these look amazing–and so easy! I absolutely must try them. Such a great recipe! :)

Maggie October 3, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Ricki. I love them, I just made them with golden flax yesterday and they looked so pretty. Everyone LOVES them. A friend of mine thinks I need to mass produce them and take them to the One of a Kind Show. If only it were that simple!

Lexie February 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm

AWESOME!!!! Can I say that any louder! Maggie, these are so so so good and addicting, I hope I didn’t eat too many … snicker, know what I mean : )

Debbie March 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

These look really good…love the “Maggie’s gone crackers”!

Maggie March 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thanks Debbie :) I hope you and your boys enjoy them.

Jaclyn March 28, 2012 at 11:40 am

Can’t wait to try these tonight! Do you use fresh or dried rosemary?

Maggie March 28, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I’ve used both Jaclyn. Enjoy!

chris July 25, 2012 at 6:27 am

Can these be made with chia instead of flax?

Maggie July 25, 2012 at 6:42 am

Hi Chris – I’m not sure, I haven’t tried it with chia. I’m sure you could experiment, maybe do a half batch just in case it doesn’t work out. Let us know if you decide to give it a shot!

Cheryl January 29, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I made these today with ground flax and whole chia seeds….they are yum!

Maggie January 31, 2014 at 8:51 am

Yum! Thanks for sharing Cheryl. I am totally in the mood to bake so I might play with this recipe today too!
Maggie

Megan - The Gluten Free Vegan April 3, 2013 at 8:37 pm

These look amazing. I’m not usually a fan of rosemary but I’ll definitely be giving rosemary a try in this recipe. Thanks!

Maggie April 4, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thanks Megan. I’m not usually a fan either. I think it’s because it is such a popular meat herb, don’t you? However, I did love it in this recipe.
Have a great day,
Maggie

Larry Beauchamp April 19, 2013 at 10:36 am

Can I substitute chia seed flour for flax seed? I have chia seeds on hand but not flax seeds.

Maggie April 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Hey Larry – I think you could try it with chia instead of flax seed. I haven’t tried it myself, but let us know if you do!
Thanks,