Friday Finds Elana’s Pantry

by Maggie on July 30, 2010

Certainly you’ve heard of Elana by now?

She’s the talent behind Elana’s Pantry – one of my favourite gluten-free and refined sugar-free blogs.

I love everything about Elana – her blog is so well designed, she’s a published cookbook author, she virtually eliminates starches, she uses only almond flour and/or coconut flour, and she has quite a few vegan recipes.

What’s not to love?

Until this month, though, I had never made one of Elana’s recipes.  There was just a lot of drooling and admiration going on.  For instance, Elana had an entire month of gluten-free cupcakes.  Total eye candy and oh-so creative.

Also, she is extremely professional and I really respect the way she handles her blog’s popularity.  She recently wrote a great post about agave in response to all of the criticism against using it to replace refined sugar.  And she created forums on her blog so you can seek advice or help other readers.

Can you tell that I really admire Elana?

Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger

When I saw that Tia from Glugle Gluten- Free was hosting this month’s Adopt A Gluten-Free-Blogger, I knew I had to adopt Elana so I could try some of her recipes.

The first recipe I tried was Elana’s Beet Hummus which was inspired by Elise from simplyrecipes.com .  I love beets and I love hummus so I knew this was a win-win.  We had some leftover barbecue roasted beets that I used.

As you can see from the picture, the hummus was HOT PINK!  It was gorgeous.  Pete finally had to tell me to settle down, I was so excited about the colour and the taste of this hummus that I was driving him nuts.  I envisioned a pink-themed party with hot pink beet hummus as the show stopper!

Next I tried Elana’s dairy-free and egg-free chocolate chip cookies.

Oh.  My.  Goodness.

I am a lover of all things chocolate chip cookie. One can never have enough chocolate chip cookie recipes.   And this is a major winner.  I served it to friends and family who were over for lunch.  Wheat-eating, dairy-eating, and egg-eating friends.  They LOVED the cookies too.  My sister-in-law went home and immediately made her own batch.

Currently my ice cream maker is chilling in the fridge so I can try her cashew based Vanilla Ice Cream.  I’ll update the post once we’ve done the taste test.

Promise!

So head over to Elana’s Pantry and spend some time exploring her blog. Her recipes are super healthy, tasty treats that anyone will enjoy.

You won’t leave her blog disappointed, and you might even leave with her cookbook!

P.S. I also want Elana’s kitchen and all of her yellow accessories!

P.P.S.  You can check out the rest of the Adopted bloggers by going to Tia’s blog sometime after August 3rd.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats July 30, 2010 at 7:55 am

I too totally admire Elana and the way with which she handles her blog – it’s the perfect mix of personal, inspiring and professional. I keep meaning to order the almond flour she recommends so I can try her recipes.

Maggie July 30, 2010 at 6:31 pm

You said it so well Valerie – personal and inspiring! I love her forums and I love how she replies when people ask about substitutions. I also was really impressed by her agave post! She’s incredible. I tried to order Honeyville Almond flour but they don’t ship to Canada. Darn it!

Heidi Kelly July 30, 2010 at 10:33 am

I love Elana’s Pantry too, and I have her cookbook, delicious recipes!

I love the hot pink hummus, so cool!! I want to come to your pink party, we can have pink cosmos and pink hummus!!! ;-)

xoxo,
Heidi

Maggie July 30, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Yes Heidi! Please come to my party! Imagine how much fun we’d have creating everything pink. Maybe something for our first gluten-free bloggers conference! A Pretty in Pink Picnic :) xo

Celiacs in the House July 31, 2010 at 4:07 am

I haven’t been disappointed by any of Elana’s recipes that I’ve tried from the Thai Fishcakes and quiche crusts to the baked goodies. I do have to be careful with those cookies though. The pink hummus sounds fun and I have some leftover roasted beets.
Wendy

gfe--gluten free easily July 31, 2010 at 7:58 am

Elana is a dear! We were so happy to finally meet each other at BlogHer Food last year. There I got to enjoy HER chocolate chip cookies that she made and brought to the conference to share with us gf bloggers. They were amazing and lifesavers, too! One of these days she’s going to Skype into my support group meeting or maybe even speak in person if it works out for her to be in the area for a meeting of the large GIG group I belong to. ;-) Fingers crossed!

LOL on the pink hummus. I’m in on the pink party! I’ve got some perfect cocktail napkins for us to use. Striped in multiple shades of pink.

Great adoption, Maggie! You did well! ;-)

Aubree Cherie July 31, 2010 at 5:37 pm

The beet humus looks pretty fab! I want to come to the pink party ;)

~Aubree Cherie

Maggie August 1, 2010 at 11:51 am

You bet! We’ll have the pink party at our first gluten-free blogger conference! Sound good?

Tia August 4, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Maggie,
What a wonderful post! You know, I love those cookies. But, they are dangerous. I could live off of them and justify it. Strange that Honeyville can’t ship to
Canada. It’s on the same continent, for goodness sake.

BTW, fate is telling me that we definitely have to do the Pretty in Pink party at the gluten-free blogger conference. The Psychedelic Furs just started playing on my Pandora station as I started typing this comment. ;P

I have the round-up finished. You can go to http://wp.me/pS1ug-d3 if you want to check it out.

xoxo,
Tia :P

Maggie August 4, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Thanks Tia – Pink Party is now for sure! The Universe wants it to happen :) I can totally justify the cookies too – it’s almond flour, healthy…so easy for us food lovers to justify! Can’t wait to check out the round-up.