Triple Chocolate Pudding Sandwiches

by Maggie on June 28, 2010

Yes, you read that right.

Can you believe it? Doesn’t it sound (and look) delicious?

Well they are delicious.  And they’re so easy to make.  Oh, and did I mention healthy too?

You’ll be begging your kids to ask for another one.

And you won’t believe how healthy these babies are (did I already say that?).

I really wanted to call the chocolate pudding Chocolate Avocado Pudding but I didn’t want to scare you off.  Trust me on this one.  Have I ever let you down?

The pudding alone is delicious enough to eat off a spoon while you’re supposed to be getting your kids another glass of juice.

Livvie likes it!

Chocolate Pudding

5 small ripe avocados (or 2-3 large ones)

1/2 cup real maple syrup (agave would work too)

1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used raw chocolate powder*)

Combine the ingredients in your food processor or a blender.  Blend until creamy and there are no little green avocado blobs.  That might scare off the skeptics.  Taste and add more syrup if you’re not a dark chocolate fan.  Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.

*I used Cacao Power’s Raw Chocolate Powder.  I bought it an my local health food store.   You could also use dutch processed cocoa powder.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ cup sunflower oil/coconut oil (you could use any type of oil)

½ cup unsweetened apple sauce

1 cup maple syrup

5 tbsp ground flax combined with 6 tbsp water

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used raw chocolate powder)

2 cups of my gluten-free flour mix (bean-free)

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk together the oil, applesauce, maple syrup, flax mixture, vanilla and cocoa powder.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sea salt, and baking soda.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir just to combine.

Scoop batter with an ice cream scoop onto the parchment lined baking sheets.  Press each cookie gently with the bottom of your hand.

Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire baking racks.

Makes two dozen cookies.

Assemble your sandwiches and place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes to chill before serving.

I was inspired by The Messy Chef’s chocolate mousse pie.  Check it out by searching under her recipes.

Yesterday I found Alisa’s version of ice cream sandwiches. Yes please!

My friend Chantilly from My Girl Thursday also inspired me with her Whoopie Pies.

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

megs June 29, 2010 at 6:00 am

Can you please save me one?
They sound too good to be true.

Maggie June 29, 2010 at 9:36 am

Hey Megs – There’s a little piece left. Get over here! Would make a good treat for the kiddies at a wedding. Just saying…haha!

thursday June 29, 2010 at 8:22 am

Nice job Maggie! Those look delicious!

Maggie June 29, 2010 at 9:36 am

Thanks Chantilly! And thanks for introducing me to (and sharing!) whoopie pies!

Heidi Kelly June 29, 2010 at 10:52 am

Holy Moley Maggie, those look awesome! I make chocolate avocado pudding all the time and you really cannot tell there is avocado in it. I just saw a post the other day on The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen blog for Avocado Fudgesicles!! http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2010/06/avocado-fudgesicles.html

Maggie June 29, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Heidi – I’d love to try making fudgesicles with this recipe. Trust me, it’s been on my mind! I would let Callum eat them for breakfast! :)

gfe--gluten free easily June 29, 2010 at 10:57 am

Like Heidi, I was thinking of Ali’s recent pudding/fudgesicle recipe, too. Decadent, deliciousness, but still healthy … amazing! I don’t have all the ingredients, darn it, but I’m going to get them. :-) I’m with Livvie on this one … but, you do realize your kids will never be able to leave home, right? Whose cooking could possibly compare to mom’s? ;-)

Maggie June 29, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Thanks Shirley. Livvie is very easy to please. Callum makes me work for his praise! I hang on his reaction too much I think! It’s like he knows that I really want him to like it :)

Martina June 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm

now if you could make them somehow calorie free and fat free, I’d be all over these bad boys! Ah, who am i kidding?! I drooled on my screen a little bit…

How’s Pillars coming? Do you have chocolate smears on the pages? :)

Maggie June 29, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Hi Martina – I will get to work on a fat-free version, though they’re all good fats! So forget it! I will send you a message about Pillars. I am done and already mourning the loss of many great characters.

saxifrage@Sweet Sensitivity June 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Wow. These look amazing! I bookmarked the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Maggie June 29, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Saxifrage! I’m glad you stopped by, come back and let me know when you’ve tried the recipe.

Sophie June 30, 2010 at 5:01 am

Waw,…Maggie!! What a neat & fab idea!!!

The cookies look like a real delight & that avocado chocolate pudding looks so tasty too!

I have never heard from putting an avocado in a chocolate pudding,..I must try that!

Maggie June 30, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Hi Sophie – Thank you! You must try the chocolate and avocado pudding combo! So delightful and PACKED with nutrients! I have some avocados that are ripening up right now and I plan on making more tomorrow! Let me know if you try it.

mel June 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm

These are soooo good. Even without the pudding and chocolate chips, my gluten monsters even ate them! And my gf girl LOVED them! The cookies are so cakey and good. You really can’t tell they are gluten free! And for an allergy family (like mine) these are great! Mine were soy free, gluten free, dairy free, corn free, egg free. BUT not taste free!

Thanks for sharing this recipe!
mel

Maggie June 30, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Mel! Thank you so much for coming back to tell us about your cookies! They were cakey, weren’t they? I am so happy that your gluten monsters ate them, but happier that your GF girlie LOVED them. YAY! I was thinking, you could totally do the pudding but leave out the chocolate. You could add mint extract and that would explain the green colour! Oooh, that’s tempting!

Aubree Cherie July 3, 2010 at 3:00 pm

You’re killing me Maggie. You’re really truly killing me over here.

How am I supposed to loose weigh if you keep tantalizing me with these awesome desserts that I could make? Erg!

Juuuust kidding ;) (But seriously :P)

~Aubree Cherie

Maggie July 4, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Sorry Aubree! At least I’m trying to cut out the refined sugars, right? :)

Aubree Cherie July 6, 2010 at 8:43 am

Hey Maggie,

I just wanted to let you know that I listed this recipe in my fav top ten recipes from last week post. Um.. cause there are too amazing looking to not try at some point :)

~Aubree Cherie

Cheryl July 9, 2010 at 8:15 pm

These were awesome! My whole family loved them and I’m the only one who needs to eat gf. This is a keeper recipe and my husband eats the avocado “pudding” by the bowlful!!! And the 11 year old celiac that I made them for, couldn’t get enough and was all she talked about for the rest of the week!

Maggie July 11, 2010 at 10:02 am

Hi Cheryl – Thanks so much for coming back to tell us! I love recipes that everyone will gladly eat. And I love your husband for eating it by the bowlful. I do too :)

Susan July 16, 2010 at 7:33 am

These look yummy! I’m new to the gluten free diet and am up for trying all kinds of new recipes so I will be trying these for sure!

Maggie July 19, 2010 at 7:14 am

Hi Susan – Welcome to the gluten-free diet! I hope you’re feeling much better now that you’re on it. Let me know if you try the pudding sandwiches. Thanks for stopping by!

Erin August 18, 2010 at 11:06 am

Hey Maggie – Thanks for giving me your blog to pass onto my friend. I also started browsing your blog and it is really cool. As a baker there are lots of recipes here that I really want to try, but I started with the chocolate pudding. It was really good. I was telling Freyja about it and what was in it (she loves avacados so I thought that was a safe bet) and at first she was hesitant until she had a taste and then followed me back to the kitchen to get some more :) I also decided to add a touch of vanilla and cinnamon just to give it some more flavour and that is quite tasty too.

Maggie August 23, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Hey Erin – Thanks for checking out my blog and passing it along. I love that you let me into your baker’s mind! Adding vanilla and cinnamon – great idea! I’ll have to do that next time I make it.

Tara October 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I recently made just the pudding and added the vanilla and cinnamon and it was great. It came out with more of a mousse than a pudding consistency though so I think I’ll try adding almond milk to thin it out a bit.

Maggie October 14, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Hey Tara – Thanks for letting us know! Adding the almond milk is a great idea. A little more syrup might help too – if you want it sweeter :)

Cyndi November 3, 2010 at 11:58 pm

heya! this recipe looks awesome. I’ve done avocado pudding before, but never though to make a sandwich out of ‘em and my son looooves whoopie pie, so it would be great to make treats that he can share with his little sis, who is gluten-free, dairy-free and corn-free. thanks!

ChocolateCentral February 1, 2011 at 11:08 am

I don’t think you would have scared anyone away if you had named it chocolate avocado pudding. Au contraire, I think you would have peeked everyone’s interest. This is such an interesting combination. I never would have combined chocolate and avocado myself. What a great way to give the little ones a treat and give them a healthy dose of fat at the same time.

bethany July 30, 2013 at 9:52 pm

what is the apple sauce for in the cookie recipe …i have a son with an apple allergy?

Maggie July 31, 2013 at 6:43 am

Hi Bethany – You could try using another fruit or veggie puree instead of the apple. I used it to add moisture and reduce the fat, plus it adds some sweetness!
Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Thanks for reading,