Vegan Bread & Gluten-Free Bread – The Nutty Version

by Maggie on February 24, 2010

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

GF & Vegan Bread - The Nutty Version from She Let Them Eat Cake.Com

Now you have to bake a loaf of gluten-free bread.

Because I’ve got another bread recipe for you!

As I said a few weeks ago when I posted my first bread recipe, store bought gluten-free bread is either frozen yuck or too expensive.  So for the past few months I’ve been baking our own bread.

I was really happy with my first recipe but we started to get a little bored with the same bread every time (I bake it twice a week) so we needed something new.  Variety is the spice of life, non?

I used my first bread recipe as a base so this might look a little familiar.  We have made this bread many times now (by “we” I mean me and the voices in my head).   It is a forgiving bread so please feel free to play around with the flours once you feel confident enough to do so.

Vegan & GF Bread - The Nutty Version from She Let Them Eat Cake.com

Vegan & Gluten-Free Bread – The Nutty Version

1 1/4 cups warm water (100-115 degrees f)
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
5 tablespoons ground flax mixed with water to equal 3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons sunflower oil (or coconut oil)
3 tablespoons real maple syrup/agave/honey
1 1/2 cups garfava flour
or sorghum flour (or a combination)
2/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup arrowroot flour
1/4 cup ground walnuts or almond meal
1 tablespoon xanthan gum/guar gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
sesame seeds or hemp seeds for sprinkling

1. Heat water and pour into your mixing bowl.  Add yeast and allow it to proof for 5 minutes.  You will see it puff up – it’s like science class in your kitchen.
2. Add the ground flax to a liquid measuring cup.  Add water to equal 3/4 cup of a flax-water mixture.  Stir and let sit while the yeast if proofing.
3. When the yeast and water mixture has proofed, add oil, real maple syrup (or honey/agave) and flax mixture.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, thoroughly combine the dry ingredients (I usually do this while my yeast is proofing).  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.
5. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes (if you’re lucky you have a KitchenAid mixer to do this for you!).  I usually stop my mixer once to wipe down the sides.  If you don’t have a KitchenAid I would stir for at least 10 minutes.
6. At 5 minutes in your mixer, you will have a fairly wet batter – not your typical bread dough.  Remember! It’s gluten-free bread we’re working with here.   You won’t be doing ANY kneading by hand.
7. Scrape the batter into two bread pans (8 x 4 inch) and sprinkle with seeds if desired.  Let loaves sit covered for 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Bake 1 loaf for 45 – 50 minutes (check at the 45 minute mark since oven temperatures can vary so much).  The second loaf should go into the fridge covered until it’s ready for the oven. Refrigerating will slow down the yeast.  You don’t want it to over-proof.
10. Use a knife or a cake tester to check loaves for done-ness.  You want something that will go right to the bottom of the loaf to check for wet ingredients.

Make sure you try this with some almond butter or your favourite morning spread.

Pete and I made some amazing garlic bread with one loaf by cutting off all of the sides so we had some crusty bread.  It was so good.

Of course, this also makes a great sandwich bread.  I tried hummus, avocado, sprouts, and lettuce.  Hello healthy goodness.

NOTES:

Don’t cook two loaves at the same time; been there, done that.

Try rotating your loaf at the 25 minute mark 180 degrees.

I have made this bread with 1/2 cup of almond flour (instead of just 1/4 cup) and cut out 1/4 cup of garfava or sorghum.  Works just as well!

I have not made this with a bread machine (just not a huge fan of the bread machine spaceship).  If you do have one and try it please please please report back with instructions and let us know how it went.

I use silicone bread pans.

If you have a nut allergy, try subbing one of your favourite gluten-free flours.

I store mine on the counter in a ziploc bag.  Ours doesn’t last much longer than 3 days; we’re big fans of toast around here.

Do you bake gluten-free bread?  Any tips you want to share with us for guaranteed yummy success?

berryliciousbanner600x122

Heidi Kelly February 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Maggie!

That bread looks absolutely delicious (and nutritious too boot!). I think I will try that this weekend!

I am SO in touch with “the friends” in my head too! :-)

Ellen @ I Am Gluten Free August 14, 2010 at 6:41 am

Ok then. I’m so glad I found this. Will try and report back!

Becky March 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I tried this for the first time tonight — I am so thankful that I found you!!! I am so happy to finally make a bread I can eat AND it tastes delicious!! I’m just getting used gluten free baking and your receipes make it so easy to adjust. Thanks for all you are doing….it’s definately brightening my days.

Janis Bryant October 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Made this today. This is by far the best gluten free bread I have eaten or made! I used buttermilk instead of milk, but changed nothing else. VERY. DELICIOUS! Thanks for the recipe

Adrienne November 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi Maggie! I found your site via Whole Life Nutrition and their link to gluten free bread recipes. I clicked on yours b/c it’s also egg-free, something rare to find in the bread world, but necessary for my allergic family. I’m looking forward to trying your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it. We’ll see how it goes at high altitude…

Sarah January 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

Hello!

Just tried this recipe, and it is already a big hit in our house. Our family does not have allergies but we are trying to eat better, and this bread has made it easier and tastier to reach our goals! Thanks a bunch :O)

Jason January 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Tried this bread today! it’s wonderful tasting!, but about half the height of your pictured bread! Our yeast is fresh! any ides?

Sarah January 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Hello!
I’m wondering if I would be able to pour the entire amount of mix into one larger bread pan? Wondering if you’ve ever tried to do so, and if this would change the total baking time, or rising time?

Missy February 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I just made this last night and it turned out fabulous! It is the first gluten free bread that came out looking like “regular” bread — and I’ve tried tons of bread recipes in my 3 1/2 years of gluten free baking! I was just about to give up and keep buying expensive frozen bread when I found your recipe. Thanks so much!!

Verda March 27, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I just made this bread and it is absolutely delicious. For as small as my loaf turned out it was not heavy or dense. The texture is super great. I immediately ate three pieces while it was still warm from the oven. It even cut well while warm. I do not have silicone pans and used my metal bread pans. It baked super fast and was almost ready to come out of the oven at the 25 minute mark. I covered it with foil and continued to bake. I too am going to try baking it in a larger pan and see if I can get it to rise above the rim of the pan. How high does your bread rise I tried to judge by the picture but can’t tell? It didn’t take my husband any time at all to discover by cutting 4 pieces he could make a pretty good sized sandwich. LOL

George April 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Can this be made with tapioca flour only instead of the tapioca/potato starch combo?

Verda April 17, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I just baked my second loaf of this wonderful bread. Since my first attempt didn’t rise as much as I wanted (didn’t hurt the taste I might say) I tried using one 9 x 5 loaf pan and it worked beautifully. I had no problem with the bread being undercooked on the bottom edge. I baked the bread on the second from the bottom rack. This recipe does brown quickly so at the 25 minute mark when I turned the pan I covered the loaf with aluminum foil and continued baking for the full 50 minutes. When I pulled it from the oven and tested for doneness it seemed a little damp so I put it back in for another 6 minutes. Perfect!!! Again I could not wait for it to cool before slicing off a nice piece. Yummy! BTW I used 3/4 C garfava & 3/4 C sorgham flour and blanched almond flour/meal. I also used a dark honey so this bread is a beautiful medium brown color.

Meredith September 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Can one loaf be frozen and used later?
Also, do you think you could bake both loaves together in a convection oven?

KATE January 7, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I CAN’T EAT FLAX, ANY SUBSTITUTIONS? ALSO, WILL I BE SEEING THE BREAD RISE (ESPECIALLY IN A 68 DEGREE KITCHEN RIGHT NOW)? WHY CAN’T I BAKE BOTH AT ONCE, JUST CURIOUS.
THANKS!!