Gluten-Free and Vegan Banana Flax Bread

by Maggie on February 15, 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who doesn’t like Banana Bread.

It’s probably one of the most popular baked goods.  Everyone has their favourite recipe.  I’ve had a few over the years but never really found “the one”.  Until now.

Make this in the morning and enjoy it with your babes (and a cup of your designated warm beverage).

Make it in the afternoon and enjoy it as an afternoon snack.

Frost it at night with a lovely and light icing and enjoy it for dessert. Regardless of the time of day, you will love this.

I made it for our gluten-friendly guests on the weekend and they loved it.  You will too.

Banana-Flax Bread

2.5 tbsp of ground flax combined with 3 tbsp of warm  water

3/4 cup cane sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)

1 cup mashed banana (usually about 3 medium sized bananas)

1/3 cup applesauce + 3 tbsp (the extra 3 tbsp works as an egg replacer)

1/3 cup of sunflower / coconut oil (plus extra for brushing)

1 tbsp vanilla

1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (I use my bean-free mix, click here for the recipe)

1/4 cup buckwheat flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line an 8×8 pan with parchment or brush with extra oil (don’t use a spray, have you looked at the ingredients?).

Combine the flax-water mixture with the cane sugar until the mixture is a little frothy.  Add the bananas, all of the applesauce, oil (if you’re using coconut oil make sure you melt it first), and vanilla.  In a large bowl, sift the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Add the sea salt and mix well.  Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until combined (now would be a good time to add 1 cup of chocolate chips or nuts if you like them in your banana bread).

Pour batter into your baking dish and sprinkle the top with a handful of cane sugar or turbinado sugar.  Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and brush with some melted coconut oil or sunflower oil.  Bake for another 20 minutes – or until tested with a knife.

Let cool in pan on a wire rack.  Cut into slices or squares and enjoy.  Store on the counter for 3 days, if it lasts that long!

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

Jules February 19, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Will this recipe make McC say “Jules pass the banana bread” yes or no. I”ll have to make it and see.

meredith February 22, 2010 at 9:10 am

Looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Judith Humphreys August 7, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Hi Maggie- any thoughts on the best sugar substitute for this recipe? My options are pretty much: honey, maple syrup, brown rice syrup or stevia –
Thanks! looks delish!

Maggie August 7, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Hi Judith – I would definitely try maple syrup as a sub – but cut back a little on the other liquids (I’d start with the applesauce). Maybe do half a cup of maple syrup to start? I’d love to see what brown rice syrup would do too – definitely less runny than maple syrup. Maybe do a combo? You must let me know!

Judith Humphreys August 16, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Hi Maggie, I didn’t have any maple syrup so I went to honey. I hadn’t read your reply yet and so didn’t adjust anything else. I must say it turned out really nicely. Sort of like a honey cake; very moist. Everyone I fed it too couldn’t believe it was: gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Thanks for the recipe, it’s a keeper!
Judi

Greg LaVelle September 21, 2010 at 7:52 am

To Whom It May Concern:
My name is Greg LaVelle and I represent a small, local non-profit organization serving 16 highrises occupied by elderly and handicapped tenants, in the greater Saint Paul, Minnesota area. Times are tough all over and due to recent cuts in our budget, which has been made up of donations, we have been forced to come up with funds by making attempts at raising money. Our most recent and primary idea is to create a cookbook.
I have been using your recipes at home and would like to share them with others in the cookbook. We are hoping to sell 300 – 500 cookbooks for sale to our residents and would greatly appreciate your permission to reprint some of your recipes which I found on-line. We would include your copyright information, as well as the information on how to locate your Website and any other items you would like included.
Greg LaVelle
gt.lavelle@gmail.com

Andrea October 14, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Okay. I just pulled this out of the oven and am eating a piece now, hot crumbs dropping onto my lap. You see, I am so excited. This is the first gluten free baked good I have made! Yeahha!

I used olive oil instead of coconut, and it didn’t ruin the flavor at all!
I used honey 1/2 cup of honey instead of the cane sugar.
Also, I never follow recipes. It bores me. So I make substitutions and add and subract. So I added an extra banana, some extra flour, and crushed cereal on the top! And whoops, I just realized that I left out the vanilla! It had to bake for about 20 EXTRA minutes. I’m sure the exact recipe would have turned out better, but I’m very happy with the result!

Thanks Maggie! I will definitely be using your recipes in the future.

mcdiedro November 24, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I am a self proclaimed banana bread snob. (people over cook it, dry it out, don’t add salt, bananas not old enough, etc) This is one of the best (gluten, non vegan recipes included) banana breads I have ever tasted! Fantastic. I am taking it to thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and its sure to be a hit.

here are a few subs I used:

coconut palm sugar
all coconut oil (can’t have sunflower oil)
No cinnamon
I used quinoa flour in place of millet (in your GF flour mix)
I baked it in a loaf pan for about 50-60 min, checking frequently.

Thank you for your research, you made my day!

Michelle December 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Hi! I just made a modified version of this recipe (using stevia, extra banana, more cinnamon, all coconut oil and no buckwheat flour) and was wondering if you wouldn’t mind if I posted the modified recipe on my blog about allergen free cooking. It’s a really itty-bitty baby blog so far (only a few recipes posted), and I would be sure to give you all the credit for the original recipe and link back to you.

If you’re not okay with this that’s totally okay, it’s delicious anyways!

Emily August 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I use this recipe a lot, with variations depending on what I have, and it always produces a delicious hearty bread! I usually use just buckwheat and brown rice flour in different proportions instead of a GF mix, and last night went all out and used all buckwheat (2 c), though I bake for around an hour instead of 40 min. It was good! If you really like buckwheat, but hey it’s a superfood :) I also have done honey for sugar, pumpkin for banana, and an extra banana for applesauce. Always delicious, always end up eating the entire pan by myself in two days. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

Angela August 25, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I added a 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg as well and it was a very nice touch and delicious (oh and I used 1/3 cup maple syrup instead of the sugar) :)

Lex October 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm

This looks delicious! Thank you. I will probably play with the recipe as I usually just use what I have- but thank you so much! I want to add hemp hearts. :)