Black Bean Burritos

by Maggie on November 29, 2009

1420061059_474d0211a4

Bean burritos have been on a weekly rotation in our house for a long time – and not much changes about the recipe.  It’s a fast, simple, and delish supper or lunch.  It can be made and on the table in 30 minutes.

You can make these bean burritos using canned black beans, or you can soak the beans yourself.  Either way, it is so satisfying.  We use the leftovers for nachos, for dip, or for omelettes.  We’ve even frozen the leftovers for future use.

Gluten-Free and Vegan Bean Burritos

1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup of chopped carrots
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt,or to taste
1 can of black beans (or make your beans from scratch and it will taste even better)
1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes and some of the juice (or  4-5 fresh tomatoes diced)
1/2 to a full pepper (red, yellow OR green)
1 jalapeno pepper without the seeds (optional)
1 pre-cooked and chopped sweet potato (optional but highly encouraged)
1 handful of cilantro (optional)

1. Cook onion, garlic, and carrots in a small amount of olive oil until softened.
2. Add cumin, chili powder, mustard seed, and sea salt.  Stir for one minute or so.
3. Add beans and peppers – I like my peppers to be a little crunchy so I tend to add them late in the dish.
4. Add tomatoes and cook until the tomato juice has boiled down a little – you don’t want it to be too runny.
5. Stir in sweet potatoes, if using, and cook for 5 more minutes.
6. When ready to serve, mix in the cilantro.  Cilantro really makes this dish yummy but I still make it if I don’t have any in the fridge.

Yield: Serves 4 adults.

There are a few ways you can serve this, depending on what you like and what you have in the house.

1.  Over rice.

2.  Wrapped in a tortilla.

3.  Spread on a hard tortilla (tostada style).

Add whatever toppings you enjoy.  We usually go with: homemade guacamole, salsa, green onions (if we have them), and cheese (but you don’t need cheese if you have yummy guac.).

Regardless of how we eat these we always call them Bean Burrits!  So, I didn’t misspell the title after all!  Last time I made these I doubled the recipe and used one can of black beans and one can of pinto beans.  It was really good!

Tips for the babes: Callum likes to have a mini-wrap sometimes.  I cut a wrap in half and make him a miniature sized burrit.  Livvie is even starting to enjoy this meal – most of it anyway (beans, carrots, avocado, and a gluten-free wrap).

Photo Credit: Declan Zimmerman

Annie November 30, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Mags, I’ve always called our burritos burrits as well. I guess I’m not as original as I thought, eh? :) And they are so so tasty. Sometimes we mash the beans and throw in some salsa just to mix it up a bit. Glad to hear that the babes can stand a little bit of heat. Clearly you guys will never have to deal with picky eaters!

MaggieSavage December 1, 2009 at 11:10 am

Or, great minds think alike :)

Sara December 3, 2009 at 8:40 pm

This is one of my favourite recipes, all because of a wonderful meal at your house several years ago. I haven’t made it in awhile but now I think I will. The thing for me is that I NEED the cilantro in it so if I don’t have it in the house, I won’t make it. It’s going on the grocery list this week!!!! Thanks for the reminder, my friend!

MaggieSavage December 3, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Wish I could share a meal with you Sara! Enjoy your bean burrits. Will your babes partake in the beans and green things?

Lindsey December 19, 2009 at 6:55 am

Mags – I tried these this week, and they were great…except I need to clarify about the tomatoes. I was using canned, and my mixture turned out too runny to wrap with ease…it all worked out, because I fired in some brown rice, and they turned out to be delish. Are the diced tomatoes supposed to be drained first? Were you referring to half a 19 oz can or half a 28 oz can? Thanks, chiquita!

MaggieSavage December 19, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Ooh, good question Linds! Love it. I use about half of a 28 oz can (I’ll clarify in the recipe) and I always have to cook it until the tomato juice has boiled down. Know what I mean? Brown rice in there sounds great. Good idea. Quinoa would work too – a good high in protein grain for your babe(s)!

Trisha Finlon May 29, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I don’t understand…the sweet potatoes are not mentioned in addition I guess I will mix them with everything else. Just thought I might find a comment here.

Maggie May 30, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Hey Trisha – Thank you for bringing this post to my attention, it was in major need of updating :) It’s one of my early recipes!
I’ve updated it to include the potatoes. Basically you’re just re-heating them.
Thanks so much!
I hope you loved them.
Maggie

Meg September 4, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Made again tonight. For the one hundredth time (not really, but I do make a lot) and wanted to tell you how much I love! So quick. So easy. So delicious!

Maggie September 5, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks Megs :) Have you tried the Black Bean Bowl yet? It’s pretty simple too. xo

Jen W. November 21, 2013 at 12:57 am

I made this tonight with fresh tomatoes and canned beans (black and pinto, drained and rinsed). We all loved it! I’d like to try making it starting with dry beans. How long do you soak them for? Do you soak them in the fridge?

It is so refreshing to be able to use a recipe that I can follow exactly with every ingredient–no substitutions needed! Thanks again. :)

Maggie November 21, 2013 at 8:59 am

Yay Jen! That’s so awesome, thanks for taking the time to come back and let me know. If I am soaking them I do it for 12-24 hours (the longer the better) in double the amount of water. I soak them on the counter. Then I drain and rinse them really well and cook them for about an hour and a half (and drain) before adding them to this recipe. Sound good?
Maggie