Sweet or Savory Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Egg-Free Buns

by Maggie on October 12, 2009

buns

I love a good bun with a bowl of soup.

I’ve been making this bun recipe since the early days of Pete’s celiac diagnosis. It’s fast, easy, and one that Pete and I both love.

The other day Callum and I were grocery shopping and he pointed at some buns and told me he wanted to buy them. The cart almost rolled on over and picked up a package. But nope! I told him we could make them, and make them we did!

He loved them. Thank goodness.

This bun recipe can be made a number of ways – I’ll touch on two ways in this post (see savory and sweet modifications below recipe). I’ve played with it over the years, and it’s pretty foolproof. So try it out and then play with it yourself.

I find they’re not very yummy or flavorful plain, so we always try to dress them up some how. But it’s a fast and easy way to have freshly baked gluten-free buns with a bowl of soup or some pasta. Enjoy!

Sweet or Savory Gluten-Free Buns

1 ¼ cups of hot water
2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
¾ cup of eggs (3 large eggs will do it)
(see vegan/egg-free modification below)

3 tablespoons oil (I like to use melted coconut oil)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 ½ cups garfava flour (I also use quinoa or sorghum flour)
1/3 cup brown rice flour (or millet flour)
1/2 cup potato starch
2/3 cup tapioca flour
1 T xanthan gum or guar gum
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1.  Grease a muffin pan. I use coconut oil for greasing.
2. Add yeast to hot water and let sit for 5 minutes while the yeast kicks into action.
3. Add eggs, oil, and maple syrup (see below for vegan modification). Stir to combine.
4. Mix the dry ingredients and gradually add to the wet ingredients.
5. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes until all ingredients are well mixed. The mixture will be gooey and messy – not like traditional bread dough, more like a batter.
6. Spoon into muffin cups and let rise for 30 minutes.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

Vegan/Egg-Free Modification

Instead of 3 eggs:

1. Put 5 tbsp of ground golden flax in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Fill the cup with warm water until the 3/4 cup mark (flax is already in the cup).  The flax and water combined should make no more than 3/4 cups.
3. Add to the yeast-water mixture along with oil and maple syrup.

Yield: 12 buns

SAVORY MODIFICATION

These were AMAZING!!! You’d never know they were GF!

1. Mixed ½ cup of finely sliced green onions with 1 cup of grated goat cheddar or daiya shreds and 1 tsp of chipotle sauce.
2. Stir in after the 5 minutes was up (after step 5 in bun preparation). Sprinkled more cheese on the top just prior to putting them in the oven.

SWEET MODIFICATION

These are really yummy too. It’s the closest we’ve gotten to a delish cinnamon bun.

To add to dough:

1. In a small bowl, combine 3 tsp of cinnamon with 1/3 cup of sucanat (or cane sugar or brown sugar).
2. Add mixture to the dough at the end of the five minute mixing time (step 5 in bun preparation).

Topping:

1. Melt 1/3 cup of coconut oil (or butter or vegan butter).
2. Combine 1/3 cup of sucanat with 2 tbsp of cinnamon.
3. Add oil and mix until combined – try to dissolve sucanat (or sugar of your choice) as much as possible.  Pour this mixture on top of the dough (once it’s been put into the muffin cups).  Use approximately one tablespoon per bun.

The sucanat does not dissolve very well.  However, it comes out nice and yummy and crunchy.  The next day the cinnamon buns were still delish.  You must try these.  They are too easy to ignore.

sandy October 13, 2009 at 9:21 am

soooooooo good is right! the savoury buns are delicious. We enjoyed them with some leftover turkey. I would love to try them with soup as you suggest or they would also be great with a green salad.Looking forward to testing the cinnamon buns too!

Ann-Marie October 17, 2009 at 4:19 am

These sound great. I am going out for dinner tonight so I think I’ll make these this afternoon and take one with me since most restaurants don’t serve gluten-free bread. THX

Christine November 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Cold cold day here on the west coast… flag football semi-final win this morning… home to make a pot of split pea soup but what to go with it…? These buns! Hot out of the oven with green onions and daiya as suggested and wow what a lunch. Hubby even liked them :) Thank you for your recipes, everything I have tried has been great!

Maggie November 20, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Yay Christine! Thanks so much for sharing. I’m so glad you loved them! Your soup sounds delish too!

Bethany June 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

If I am using your GF AP flour, or another, how much would I use instead of the individual ingredients listed above?

Thanks in advance!

Maggie June 25, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hi Bethany – I would stick to the same measurements I used for the individual flours. Let me know how it goes!

Sarah Cavegn March 14, 2013 at 9:26 am

One word : YUM! Going to try to savory version to have with curried chickpea stew :O) Thanks!

Maggie March 15, 2013 at 9:13 am

I’d have some curried chickpea stew Sarah :) I hope you loved these!

Sarah Cavegn March 26, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Maggie, I was wondering why the savory version didn’t turn out for me…I baked them for over half hour but they were still gooey in the center…and I just realized that I didn’t let them rise! Hope to try making them again real soon!

Maggie March 26, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear your first attempt didn’t turn out! Let me know how round #2 goes!
Maggie

donna September 3, 2013 at 5:10 pm

OMG, Wow and thank you! I have a really hard time finding recipes that are already adapted for our needs. Thank you soooo much for adding the directions for making without eggs and the options for different flours. You are a genius. I made these tonight for dinner using the flax “eggs”, millet flour and a mix of sorghum and quinoa flour. DH said, these rolls are the best wheat free rolls yet (and we have tried A LOT). I am praying they will taste as good in a couple days….My goal right now is to find a good wheat free (egg free, bean free, nut free, rice free…etc) roll that will taste good after a few days; DS has a 4 night camp he is attending in October and due to his many severe allergies I will need to pack all his meals and snacks. Thanks again!

Maggie September 4, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Yay Donna! I’m so glad. Thanks for letting me know!
Sounds like your DS is in good hands with you as his Mom :)
Maggie

donna September 7, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Still enjoying these little rolls :0) We have sliced them (like a big mac bun) and made little round mini sandwiches for lunch with them twice last week (using 2 slices per sandwich). Then on day 3 I sliced them all up and froze them. This weekend already I have toasted a couple for DS to eat with his grits…These are our go to wheat free bread choice!

Maggie September 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Yay! That’s so great Donna. Thank you so much for sharing – you made my day :)
Maggie