Brownies For Breakfast
Got your attention, didn’t I?
Isn’t it a wonderful thought?
Well, your idea of brownies for breakfast may differ from mine. These were Quinoa Breakfast Brownies brought to you by the wonderful blogger Karina from The Gluten-Free Goddess.
I know what you’re thinking. Quinoa? In a brownie? That’s actually what attracted me. Certainly you know the health benefits of quinoa by now! Treats like these are guilt-free. Trust me. With Karina’s permission, I have reprinted the recipe and noted the changes I made. Here’s Karina’s recipe.
Yield 15 squares
- 1 cup rice flour*
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 2/3 cups sucanat*
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil*
- 3 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla*
- 2 large eggs OR 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of warm water, as needed
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or chopped dried fruit
- 2/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chopped nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8 x 8 pans, or a 9 x 13 pan.*
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. In a large measuring cup blend olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a sturdy wooden spoon until you get a sticky batter. You can also use your KitchenAid to do this.
5. Add the eggs OR applesauce to the batter and combine well. The dough should be thick and rather sticky.
6. Add enough water to achieve a dough that sticks together when you pinch it- much like cookie dough.
7. Fold in raisins and chocolate chips/nuts
8. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan, and using wet hands, smooth the surface evenly.
9. Place the pan into the center of a pre-heated oven and bake until golden and set - about 22 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the center is firm. Insert a thin knife to check if you are unsure to make certain the center has baked thoroughly.
10. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Using a thin sharp knife, cut into squares. Freeze. Delicious slightly chilled.
For a decadent touch, add chocolate drizzle once the brownies have cooled.
*where I made changes to her recipe