The Best Home Fries

by Maggie on January 15, 2014

The Best Home Fries-1

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

Pete is a natural cook, he loves to get into the kitchen and make us soup, stir-fries, and curry dishes.  He somehow just whips together a delicious dish off the top of his head.  Recipes stress him out so he usually avoids cookbooks, and when I ask him to write up a recipe for me (which is really for you), he usually puts me off and tries to avoid it.

But this time I insisted!  His recipe for home fries is too good not to share.

This happens to be one of our favorite weekend recipes.  If I’m lucky (and I am), I will come home from yoga and find Pete making us Sunday brunch.  It usually consists of refried beans, eggs (Callum can tolerate eggs again, and he’s so happy about this), avocado, and a big serving of Pete’s home fries.  They really are the best home fries.

They might take a little longer to cook, but they’re so worth it.

Check out these home fries, they’re ready to go into the oven to get their crisp on!

The Best Home Fries 2-1

The Best Home Fries

Ingredients

•  5-6 medium-sized potatoes
  • 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking sheet or line with parchment.
  2. Wash and chop potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
  3. Preheat a large pan over medium heat and add coconut oil.
  4. Once coconut oil has liquefied, add potatoes and cook over medium heat, stirring every 2 minutes to stop them from sticking to the pan.
  5. After 20 minutes, remove potatoes from pan and spread evenly on prepared baking sheet.  Bake in 400 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until cooked through and crispy.

Notes:

We use a cast-iron pan for this recipe.
When using coconut oil and starches in a pan, things tend to stick so stay on top of it by stirring regularly and add more oil if necessary.

Did you catch my last post about why you should give up sugar?  Stay tuned for my tips on how to give it up! They’re coming.

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts January 15, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Oh, Maggie, you’re speaking my language with home fries! And the best ones?! Will be trying this recipe for sure! Just shared on Facebook and off to share more. :-)

xoxo,

Maggie January 20, 2014 at 9:30 am

Hi Shirley – Thanks so much for sharing! I love the traffic your shares bring me :) I hope you love these home fries as much as we do!
xo maggie

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts April 17, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Made these tonight, Maggie. Delish! I did add a little EVOO and smoked paprika per our taste, but we loved them. Thanks! :-)

Miriam Kearney January 15, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Because I eat low-carb I rarely eat potatoes any more. However I have made home fries from rutubaga, parsnips, turnips etc following pretty much the same prep as in your recipe. While they do taste ‘different’ than potatoes they are actually really good. Love coconut oil!

Maggie January 20, 2014 at 9:31 am

That’s such a great idea Miriam, I am going to try this method with sweet potatoes and rutabaga – two of my faves!
Thanks for visiting :)
Maggie

Vicky January 16, 2014 at 5:04 pm

These look lovely! I rarely eat potatoes however, when I do I like them roasted because for some reason they don’t cause me any problems prepared that way. Usually I par boil them first but I must try your way next time they look delicious!

Maggie January 20, 2014 at 9:32 am

Thanks Vicki. I can’t seem to give up potatoes, I just love them too much :) I like the idea of par boiling them too. So many options!
Have a great week,
Maggie

amber January 18, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hi Maggie,

These looks fabulous! We love home fries. I like how you used coconut oil. That stuff just makes everything taste amazing (and it bakes veggies so well)!

I’m thinking eggs and pork sausage with these puppies!

Happy New Year. Hope you and your family are well.

-Amber

Maggie January 20, 2014 at 9:33 am

Hi Amber – Thank you so much. We love them too, obviously :) I just learned that coconut oil has an spf of 4. Did you know that? That stuff has soooo many uses, it’s amazing!
Happy New Year to you and your lovely family too.
xo

Michelle April 11, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Maggie!!! Thanks for sharing this simple & delicious recipe!!! I’m 11W pregnant w/ our third child and eating baked potatoes to help my nausea is getting boring!! I love the taste the sea salt gave!! Who would have thought (I usually use kosher) my daughters and I almost killed the whole pan of these!!! Lol ps. We love Coconut Oil!!!!

Maggie April 14, 2014 at 9:24 am

That’s so awesome Michelle – I’m 14 weeks preggo with our third!!!! I know how you’re feeling :) Carb me up baby! So glad you are finding some relief with this recipe :) Happy baby growing.
Maggie