Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.
I eliminated refined sugars from my diet about two years ago, thanks to inspiration from Amy from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free and Ricki Heller. I immediately felt better and was shocked at how refined sugar affected me. Now when I have even a little bit of sugar I notice it in my mood, my digestion, my energy and my skin.
I indulged in one too many sweet treats this holiday season and I am finally getting back on track. It threw me off for a few days, but thankfully I know the signs of too much sugar consumption and I know what I need to do to scale back my sugar habit and regain control.
January is a great time to try to change some bad habits, perhaps after reading this you might consider scaling back your consumption of refined sugars.
5 Reasons To Kick Your Sugar Habit?
1. Sugar is actually an anti-nutrient. It takes AWAY from your body and leaves it in a negative state. I don’t know about you, but I’m more interested in eating foods that leave me in a positive state.
2. Refined sugars are processed foods. At one point sugar cane had some great nutritional value, but refining or processing it actually strips it of any nutritional value.
3. There is way too much refined sugar in our diets these days. It’s hidden unnecessarily in sauces, salsas, fruit juices, and dairy-free milks. Do some label reading and you’ll be surprised to see where sugar shows up.
4. Sugar messes with our blood sugar, which can in turn stress out our pancreas (and lead to diseases like Diabetes). Blood sugar imbalances can also lead to headaches, moodiness, weight gain, and poor brain function.
5. Sugar causes and worsens inflammatory conditions. If we eat too much of the white stuff our body can’t process it fast enough. If glucose remains in the blood too long it causes damage to blood vessels and other tissues. The body responds with an inflammatory reaction to heal the damage.
Here’s a little analogy that I share with my kiddies, who seem to love sugar despite my efforts!
Your immune system has an army working somewhat effortlessly to keep you healthy and to maintain homeostasis. The immune soldiers use things like vitamins and minerals from fruits, veggies, and other healthy foods, to keep us healthy. So when you give yourself a whack of sugar in the form of some brownies, some gummy bears, or even sweetened almond milk, you’re actually throwing bombs at the immune soldiers. Attacking your own body! Attacking your own army!
That’s not exactly what we’re after, is it?
In the meantime, here are two of my favorite smoothies that really helped me kick refined sugar. I noticed that 3pm was a good time to make these smoothies. Feel free to add some protein powder, that will make it even easier to maintain your blood sugar balance:
Stay tuned for my upcoming post with tips that you can implement immediately to regain control of your sugar habit.
And in case you haven’t seen this video yet, here it is. It’s long, but well worth your time.
Lastly, if you want to learn more about the affects of sugar and how to change your diet, Julie Daniluk’s book Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at at Time is a great resource!