Rutabaga Fries

by Maggie on November 8, 2013

Rutabaga Fries

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

Okay so it’s not the most popular root vegetable, but my, oh my, does rutagaba ever make the most delicious fries! I’m talking homemade oven fries, not deep fried tummy-troubling fries.

We make our own fries on a weekly basis. We usually rotate through potatoes, sweet potatoes, and now these babies. The kids obviously prefer potatoes, but every now and then I can slip a rutabaga fry on their plate and they don’t notice.

Did you know rutabaga has some pretty good nutritional benefits too? It’s actually considered part of the cruciferous family (think cabbage and broccoli) so it’s high in anti-oxidants like vitamin C. Rutabaga is also a great source of fibre.

We like to serve our rutabaga fries with homemade cashew cream. Seriously, your guests (dairy lovers and McDonalds lovers) will enjoy these homemade fries.

Rutabaga Fries 2

Rutabaga Fries

4 cups rutabaga, chopped into thicker wedges (measured in a 4 cup liquid measuring cup)
2 tablespoons camelina oil or extra virgin olive oil
1-2 teaspoons sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Instructions

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment, or grease lightly with oil.
2. Wash, peel and chop rutabaga. We like ours chopped into slightly thicker wedges.
3. Toss rutabaga in a bowl with oil, sea salt, and pepper.
4. Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet (grease sheet if not using parchment).
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, tossing half way through. Bake less or longer depending on desired thickness.

Yield: 2 adult-sized servings with a few left over to sneak on your kiddies’ plates.

Note: If you want your Rutabaga fries to be crispy, you might try frying them in a pan after baking them.

Have you ever made your own ketchup? It’s been on my to-do list forever. In the meantime, here’s the one my kids love. If you’re up for it, try making Amy’s recipe for slow-cooker ketchup.

I’m going to be at the Gluten-Free Garage on November 17th. I’ll be speaking about how to run a rocking gluten-free household. Hope to see you there – if you’re near Toronto, you don’t want to miss this event!  It’s kid-friendly, lots of fun, and you’ll find so many good gluten-free eats.

Alta November 8, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I love rutabaga! I need these fries.

Maggie November 9, 2013 at 10:25 am

Come on over and I will make you some Alta :)

nicole November 8, 2013 at 1:18 pm

What a great way to eat this veggie! Thanks for sharing. Now I need to go find that cashew dipping cream you mentioned…..

Maggie November 9, 2013 at 10:26 am

Oh Nicole, you will love the cashew dipping cream :) Beware!

Cheryl November 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Hi Maggie!
I always add rutabaga to my roasted root vegetables and they are great. Also I always toss just these and the parsnips with just a bit of maple syrup (not even 1 Tbls.) before adding them to the rest and tossing with the oil etc… It gives a great flavor and takes any bitterness out of them. I will definitely try these – I like how they look crispy…mine are browned and fry shaped but do not have the crispiness like fries. Also I want to make sure that you got my comment on the hormone post re signing up for the FREE 21 day guided meditation from Deepak through Oprah. x

Maggie November 9, 2013 at 10:27 am

What a great idea Cheryl, thanks for sharing. Rebecca tells me you’re an amazing cook :) They’re crispy on the outside, not as much on the inside, but still delish!
Are you two in Florida yet?
Maggie xo

Cheryl November 9, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Yes!! Sunshine and shopping – how much fun is that?! Thanks for taking Rebecca under your wing… she needs help!! xx

Alisa November 11, 2013 at 11:54 am

Yum! I keep meaning to make parsnip fries, but now rutabaga are on the list, too!

Maggie November 12, 2013 at 11:14 am

Thanks Alisa!

Beth November 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Wow. Catching up on all of my favorite blogs after a busy year. I have lots of browsing to do! I have always had a lot of trouble with getting oven baked fries to brown properly. Usually, I use sweet potato. Loving the idea of rutabaga, which I only remember as that one vegetable that I never liked in soups as a kid. You seemed to have no problem getting them to perfectly brown. Thanks for the inspiration! These look so delish.

Maggie November 20, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Hey Beth!! Great to see you here :) I love sweet potatoes too, I could eat them every day!
I hope you’re well,