Raw Apple Zucchini Bread

by Maggie on September 23, 2013

Raw Apple Zucchini Bread

This is definitely not your traditional bread recipe (check my recipe page for some of those).  But raw breads are pretty easy to make, and they’re great for those of us who have moved away from yeasted breads, even of the gluten-free variety.

I have recently accepted that I am battling an overgrowth of candida.

Two years ago I suffered a miscarriage and immediately after that I got a horrible double ear infection.  Let me tell you, it was a rough few months.

One of the long-term effects of that time period was an overgrowth of bad bacteria in my gut, caused by weakened immunity and the antibiotics; who did quite a number on my good bacteria.

I had to take two courses of antibiotics to get rid of the ear infections.  I tried homeopathy and natural remedies, but there is a time and place for antibiotics and this was definitely one of those times.

Coincidentally, that is when my sugar and carb addiction caught up with me (yes, I have been known to use food for comfort).  Candida LOVES sugar and carbs, probably more than I do!

To make a possibly long-winded story short, I now limit both my sugar intake and my intake of yeasted breads.  I do indulge in both from time to time, but the bottom line is my body and mind feel better without them in my system.

If I’ve learned anything over the past couple of years, it’s that I love feeling good.  I love it when my body functions at its best and that has become super important to me.  I want to live a long, healthy, happy and active life.

But I’m human, so I do miss bread.  I especially miss toast in the morning!

I was so happy to discover the world of raw and dehydrated breads.  I have had some good ones over the last two years (raw onion bread is amazing), but my favorite way to eat bread is in the morning with a healthy smear of almond butter.

So this Apple Zucchini Bread is for those of you who like to experiment, for those of you who miss their breads, and for those of you who love raw foods.

Raw Apple Zucchini Bread 2

Raw Apple Zucchini Bread

Adapted from Andrea Livingston’s Savory Onion Bread.  If you don’t have a dehydrator, try putting it in your oven on the lowest temp and bake the bread that way.

3 organic apples, grated and unpeeled
1 medium-sized organic zucchini, grated and unpeeled
1 organic carrot, grated and unpeeled
¾ cup ground flax seed
¾ cup sunflower seed flour (I grind mine in my blender)
¼ cup olive oil , plus 1 tablespoon
½ tablespoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of sea salt

1. Combine apple, zucchini, and carrot in a large bowl.
  2. Stir in ground flax seed, sunflower seed flour, oil, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt.  Mix until well combined.
  3. Using a cookie scoop, drop mixture onto dehydrator trays lined with parchment or teflex sheets.  Press with a wet hand to desired thickness (see pictures for my preferred thickness).
  4. Dehydrate for 1 hour at 145 then turn dehydrator to 120 and dehydrate for 6-7 hours.  You may wish to flip your breads after about 4 hours.
  5. After 6-7 hours, remove breads from teflex or parchment sheets (remove sheets entirely from dehydrator) and continue to dehydrate on mesh tray until finished (about 5 hours – timing may vary depending on thickness and how crisp you want your breads).

Yield: 15-20 pieces of bread

Want to learn more about raw foods?  Check out Raw Foods Thursdays.  You’ll find lots of great recipes every week!

Interested in more Candida recipes? Check out Ricki Heller’s new book – Naturally Sweet & Gluten-Free.

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts September 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

Maggie, I bet this is an awesome recipe! I had never tried raw bread before Heather brought some to the gfe retreat and I fell in love with hers. I bet yours is fantastic, too! This makes me want to buy a dehydrator. I keep debating that. ;-)

On a personal note, I’m so very, very sorry that you went through so much 2 years ago! I am terribly sorry for your loss, dear. Sending you lots and lots of hugs.

Candida is a beast. I had one traditional doctor tell me in all seriousness that “candida is going to take over the world.” He believed both how prevalent it was and how hard it was to eradicate.

Maggie September 23, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Ah thank you Shirley :) I can feel the hugs coming from across the border :) I am studying nutrition, as you know, and I am finding many of my case studies have some sort of a candida issue. Ack!

I love my dehydrator, but I’ve just accepted that it might go weeks unused. I kind of dehydrate in waves!
xo

Shawna September 23, 2013 at 11:42 am

I am making this tomorrow!!! Great for breakfast on the fly!!!

Maggie September 23, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Yay Shawna! Let me know what you think! It’s so great for breakfast on the fly!

Alisa @ Go Dairy Free September 23, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Maggie, I LOVE the ingredients in this. I’ve definitely got a sweet tooth, and am always looking for non-sugar ways to satisfy it :)

Maggie September 23, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Alisa. I know, that darn sweet tooth ;)

megs September 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

sounds yummy and baby friendly!!
xo

Hallie @ Daily Bites September 27, 2013 at 10:45 am

You are such a gem, Maggie. It’s great that you are taking the steps to keep yourself candida-free naturally and accepting that some foods, while delicious, are just not meant for some people. :) I have yet to get a dehydrator, but when I do I will be making this!!

Maggie September 30, 2013 at 8:01 am

Thanks sweet Hallie!

Vicky September 27, 2013 at 2:25 pm

This looks so delicious! SO sorry to hear about the miscarriage and illness, it must have been a terrible time, I really do understand how difficult it can be to return to good health after such an episode I think it’s a complete shock to the body and time heals. I really do want a dehydrator soon :(

Sorry I’ve been a bit of a stranger, hope you’re well!

Vicky xo

Maggie September 30, 2013 at 8:01 am

Thanks Vicky – it’s so lovely to see your name on my screen again :) xo

Kim-Cook It Allergy Free September 30, 2013 at 10:59 am

Well, you know we have a love for our dehydrator around here so I am totally making this one! I love the ingredients!! Great recipe, girlie!! Off to share now. :)

Maggie September 30, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Thanks Kim! I know all about your dehydrator love :) xo

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat October 1, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Oh, I’m really sorry to hear about your loss. How devastating. I’m glad that you’ve found the key to feeling better physically after that, but what a heart ache. I’m truly sorry.

Your bread looks fantastic. My dehydrator is constantly running and this bread will be “cooking” shortly! Thanks so much for sharing this incredible recipe at Raw Foods Thursdays. It was so much fun to see you there! I’ll be highlighting this recipe this week too!

Hugs,
Heather

Carol, Simply Gluten-free October 3, 2013 at 5:30 am

Maggie,
I am so sorry about your previous losses, so happy that you are feeling better and getting the candida issue under control. What a fabulous recipe!
Carol