All But Gluten – Breads, Muffins and other Baked Goods

by Maggie on August 18, 2013

welcome-back

One of the trickiest items to replace when people go gluten-free is bread. For some reason, bread has become a North American staple in our diets. We seem to serve bread at almost every meal these days.

So it makes perfect sense that losing bread is the hardest part of a change to a gluten-free diet.

When Pete was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease (about 8 years ago) the gluten-free bread options were pretty sparse, and those that were on the market were a lot like cardboard.

But luckily things have changed. Thank goodness. Now there are a number of gluten-free bread options available. It’s pretty impressive.

All But Gluten

All But Gluten™ Whole Grain Loaf

We had the chance to try one of the newest breads on the market – All But Gluten . You can buy All But Gluten in many Canadian grocery stores (Superstore, Fortino’s, Longo’s, Loblaws, and Metro to name a few).

So what sets All But Gluten apart from the other gluten-free breads in the grocery store? First of all, All But Gluten can be found in the fresh bakery section. We’re so used to buying our breads in the freezer, but now we can head back to the bakery aisles!

Second, All But Gluten products are also dairy-free and kosher. And the line is not just limited to breads! They make focaccia, muffins and pizza shells – all enriched with vitamins, minerals, and fibre. Pretty amazing, right?

All But Gluten products are made in a dedicated gluten-free facility and they’re certified gluten-free by the Canadian Celiac Association’s Gluten-Free Certification Program.

The kids obviously loved the All But Gluten Mini Brownies – we made ice cream sundaes with them. One of our testers (who was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease) said they tasted better than gluten brownies! I love hearing that about gluten-free goodies, don’t you?

The kids also really liked the pizza shell. It’s a thicker crust than we’re used to – much more like traditional wheat-filled crusts. I like that All But Gluten has lots of options and can be found in almost any grocery chain in Canada.

Companies like All But Gluten are making it much easier for those of us with gluten allergies. As most of you probably know, I prefer to choose whole grain flours, but I like knowing that, in a pinch, we can head into a grocery store and find a loaf of bread.  As always, make sure you read ingredient labels to make sure you’re happy with the ingredients.

Make sure you follow All But Gluten on Facebook and check out their recipe page too.

Have you tried any of All But Gluten’s products?  I’d love to hear what you think!

This is a sponsored post, the opinions are 100% my own.

Kathy August 18, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Oh my! Another gluten-free bread to try! Thanks for posting. :)

Heidi O August 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I LOVE them. Honestly, it’s such a relief being able to pick up something quick at the grocery store and know that it’s okay for my kids to eat. We love their muffins!!

Maggie August 19, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I know Heidi, it’s a relief when you find convenience again!

McCarts August 19, 2013 at 7:26 am

I’m slowly working my way through the Wheat Belly book and am interested in easy gluten free options, these products sound like a good fit for me!

Jess August 19, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Mags,
Great post! I have seen the product in grocery stores but have yet to buy. You have
me eager to try the pizza shells, it is hard to find a pre-made GF crust that resembles a gluten-filled crust, especially one with healthy ungredients!
Thanks for the info,

Jess xo

Maggie August 19, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Thanks Jess! The pizza crusts are perfect for you – grab em at the grocery store and head to your boyfriend’s for pizza night :)

Heather August 20, 2013 at 10:27 am

I have seen this bread at the Superstore – will have to try it out this week! Thanks for posting :)

Maggie August 20, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Let us know what you think Heather!

Katie September 1, 2013 at 9:18 am

Maggie – thanks for posting about this bread! I had seen it at Independent and wondered about it. After you posted, I gave it a try. Now when I can’t get to the health store it’s great to be able to get this bread with my groceries. I LOVE the cinnamon raisin bread – I throw it in the freezer and toast it when I’m in the mood for cinnamon. I also tried the pizza crusts and they are great too – again I throw them in the freezer until I need them for a quick pizza night.

Maggie September 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Hey Katie – Thanks for sharing the toasting and freezer tips. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the breads and crusts.

Jules September 19, 2013 at 7:22 am

Sounds like ‘All But Gluten’ have some great options! Moms have so little time, to have fresh options available that the kids will love is so important.

Maggie September 19, 2013 at 2:28 pm

It’s so true Jules! Anything to make life a little easier for us busy moms!

Sandra LaBranche September 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm

You really hit the nail on the head with this post Maggie! When I decided to go gluten-free, the biggest challenge was what I would have for breakfast!!!! (I love my toast!) Most of the gf breads were awful and so for a long time I have looked for a good bread that rivals gluten- filled. I am excited to give this one a try and love the idea that it doesn’t come frozen…hmmm fresh bread and gf too!!!!!!!!! Will check it out the next time I am at the superstore. Hurray for All But Gluten!!!!

Maggie September 19, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I hope you enjoy the bread :)

megs September 20, 2013 at 10:41 am

I tried the brownies….and oh my word!! they were amazing…they were rich and chewy and DELICIOUS!!

Maggie September 20, 2013 at 12:05 pm

So good, right Megs? I’m glad to hear you liked them too. We’ll have to share a bag some time :)