Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

by Maggie on March 15, 2013

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies from She Let Them Eat Cake

Cookies are my absolute favorite treat.  It’s so easy to whip up a batch of cookies, and nothing pleases tummies more!

I love watching cookies disappear from my cooling rack – cute little hands sneaking in for another taste.  I also love taking cookies to a friend when we’re going for a visit – it’s a simple, but heartfelt gesture.

I have to admit, I’ve been keeping these delicious Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies from you for quite some time (almost a year).  Please forgive me.  Actually, once you bake these, I know you’ll forgive me.

This is a perfect cookie recipe. – in my opinion, and in the opinion of any of my lovelies who have tasted them.  Somehow, someway, almond flour just knocks a cookie recipe out of the park!

Oh, and who doesn’t love the peanut butter and chocolate combo?

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

• 2 ½ cups almond flour (see note)
  • ¼ cup arrowroot flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
  • ¾ cup maple syrup (measure in a dry measuring cup, not liquid)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon molasses
  • 2 tablespoons psyllium seed husks
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil, liquefied (measure after melting)
  • 1 cup chocolate chunks (I love Enjoy Life )

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder, baking soda, coconut sugar, and sea salt.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, molasses, psyllium seed husks, and coconut oil.
4. Add wet ingredients to mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
5. Stir in chocolate chunks.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to place batter on prepared cookie sheet (leaving 2 inches between cookies).
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
8. Let cool for 5 minutes on tray and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 18 cookies

Note: Not all almond flour is created equal, you may need to add a little more depending on the brand you’re using.  You don’t want your dough to be too wet.

Some of my favorite gluten-free dessert cookbooks:

Hallie @ Daily Bites March 15, 2013 at 8:47 am

You’ve awakened the cookie monster within me, Maggie! I’ve never met a person who doesn’t love the chocolate/PB combo. Thanks, by the way, for linking to Super Healthy Cookies, too. :)

Maggie March 15, 2013 at 9:15 am

Yes Hallie, my fellow cookie monster :) My pleasure, it goes perfectly with these cookies. xo

Carol March 15, 2013 at 9:44 am

By reading the recipe I feel inclined to agree with you – the perfect cookie recipe!

Maggie March 15, 2013 at 11:55 am

Thanks Carol!

Cara March 15, 2013 at 10:30 am

These sound delish. I owe my hubby a treat, maybe I’ll make him a batch :)

Maggie March 15, 2013 at 11:55 am

You’re sweet Cara! I’m glad to hear your hubby is taking good care of you and your sweet babe. xo

skylor (@sprout lifestyle) March 15, 2013 at 10:53 am

There’s a lot of relationship with cookies – cookies are delicious, and they represent such an important connection with a warm, homey feeling. Good for the soul!

Maggie March 15, 2013 at 11:56 am

I couldn’t agree more Skylor :)

Alyssa | Queen of Quinoa March 15, 2013 at 11:05 am

I couldn’t agree more. Chocolate & peanut butter is definitely the best combo on the planet and cookies are my most favorite treat! I’ve got to try making some with almond flour. These sound divine!

Maggie March 15, 2013 at 11:56 am

Thanks Alyssa – my fave is chocolate and peanut butter ice cream. Oh my! It’s almost ice cream season :)

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts March 15, 2013 at 11:40 am

Oh, Maggie, these look divine! Interestingly enough, Mr. GFE does not like peanut butter cookies when there’s too much PB. I bet these would be just perfect though. I bet this recipe would also be fantastic if made with almond butter. :-) Will make and report back!

Happy Friday! xo,

Maggie March 15, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Thanks so much Shirley :) Almond butter definitely works and so would sunflower seed butter!
Happy Friday to you too.
xo

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free March 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

Love. These would be gone in a heartbeat here, Maggie. I would have lots of little hands stealing these. :D I will definitely be making a batch of these sometime soon!
xo
K

Dawn Michelle Kalm March 15, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Is there anything you can replace the 2 tablespoons psyllium seed husks with? I cannot have that and would LOVE to make these cookies! Thanks!!!!

Maggie March 24, 2013 at 9:59 am

Hi Dawn – I would try 3/4 teaspoon of xanthan or guar gum instead of the psyllium. I use it to replace the gums. Let us know how it goes!
Maggie

christine March 15, 2013 at 4:21 pm

oh yes, chocolate and peanut butter, can’t go wrong with those – I enjoy a rice cake spread with dark chocolate spread topped with peanut butter with a coffee for lunch sometimes:) but don’t tell anyone, will you?

Maggie March 24, 2013 at 9:59 am

Oh Christine, your secret is safe with me :)

christine March 26, 2013 at 10:57 am

phew, I did begin to panic:) some secrets need to be kept safe!

carly March 15, 2013 at 6:26 pm

THIS IS KILLING ME!!!
I cannot wait to have cookies when the Whole30 is done ;)

Maggie March 24, 2013 at 10:00 am

Are you done yet Carly?! I’ll bring you some :)
maggie

Christie March 16, 2013 at 2:23 am

These look yummy! Any subs for psyllium husks?

Maggie March 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

Hi Christie – I would try xanthan or guar gum to replace the psyllium husks – maybe 3/4 teaspoon?
Let us know how it goes.
Maggie

mac March 18, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hi Maggie,
Could I sub coconut flour for the almond??
Mac

Maggie March 24, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hi Mac- I don’t think you could sub coconut flour. It needs so much moisture and it would ruin the cookies, I think! You’d have to play around, I don’t use coconut flour very often so I’m not too familiar with subbing it.
Let us know what you come up with!
Maggie

Alisa March 19, 2013 at 3:32 pm

This is one of my favorite types of cookies and I admit that I am currently hoarding my recipe! Love your version and that you post so many cookie recipes Maggie! Just pinned …

Maggie March 24, 2013 at 10:20 am

Yes Alisa – you, Hallie and myself are cookie soul sisters :) Thanks for pinning! xo

Zoe March 20, 2013 at 8:42 am

These look like amazing cookies, Maggie – and sound like it, too, by looking at the ingredients! I’m in the same boat: there are recipes I’ve still yet to share and some are more than a year, like the madeleine recipe I posted last week. I’ve been getting back into baking more with almond flour, so these I’ll definitely have to try sometime. I’m sure my family would love them!

Maggie March 24, 2013 at 11:48 am

Thanks so much Zoe! I saw your madelines, I’ve always wanted to try them!

Louise March 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm

HI Maggie:

Can I find arrowroot flour at the Bulk Barn? And what about coconut sugar?

Thanks!

Louise

Maggie March 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Hi Louise :)
You should be able to find both arrowroot flour and coconut sugar at the Bulk Barn. I can definitely get coconut sugar (aka palm sugar) here. If they don’t have arrowroot, try tapioca flour/starch instead. Your hubby will be soooo happy!
Thanks,
Maggie

Louise March 28, 2013 at 11:48 am

Thanks, Maggie!!!! I’ll let you know how they turn out ;)

Angie March 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

Making these today! Using a combo of almond and sunbutter for my peanut allergic little one. Looks great…I will report back!! I will probably cut back on sweetener a bit since my nut butters have some added compared to natural PB. Thanks as always, Maggie!

The Healthy Apple April 1, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I made these yesterday for Easter and my family LOVED them! Thanks Maggie; such a fun recipe to make and they tasted delish. Miss you; skype soon!!!!
xox

Maggie April 3, 2013 at 6:39 am

You are lovely Amie! Thanks for letting me know, and for making them for your family! That’s so awesome. Yes, skype soon please! xo

Jesse Batstone July 8, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I don’t have psyllium seed husks. Are they vital to the excellent outcome or is there a substitution? Thanks!

Maggie July 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Hi Jesse – I think you could make them without the psyllium. Perhaps add chia? I haven’t tried the recipe this way so I can’t say what it will do to the final outcome. Cookies are pretty forgiving though!
Let us know how they turn out.
Thanks so much,
Maggie

Allison August 27, 2013 at 5:06 am

Wow! These were fantastic! All my boys loved these cookies-me a little too much! Will definitely make more!

Maggie August 28, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for letting me know Allison!

Anne Mette Romm October 25, 2013 at 6:47 am

Hi
I looove your recipies :-) I live in Denmark and am wondering about subs for tapioca and arrowroot? I have flax, chia, coconut flour, almond flour and buckwheat. Would a combo of any of these do? I esp. Want to make your chocolate chip cookies where you use something called teff?!!:-) what could i replace that with?
Thanx so much for you and your blog ♡
Hugs from Denmark

Maggie October 27, 2013 at 7:10 am

Hi Anne – Thank you :)
None of those really work because you need a little bit of starch – do you have any? Potato or corn starch? I think the recipe could work with buckwheat, but they just won’t be as light, they’ll be heavier and perhaps a little drier. As for teff, try replacing that with buckwheat!
Enjoy, let me know how it goes.
Thanks for reading in Denmark!!!!
Maggie