With Valentine’s Day around the corner, then Maple Syrup season, and then Easter, I thought it was high time to share my refined sugar-free caramel recipe with you. I’ve been sitting on this one for a long time, waiting for the right time. And here we are!
I think everyone should be able to enjoy caramel. I’ve used this recipe to make caramel ice cream sauce, caramel apples, and a number of other things. I’m no candy expert, so I won’t tell you how to make caramel candies or share my caramel apple recipe with you (all of the caramel slid to the bottom, but my kids were still pretty happy).
But now you have the base. Use your imagination with this recipe, and next week (just in time for Valentine’s Day) I will share my recipe for One Bite Brownies, which MUST be drizzled with caramel.
If you want to play around with this recipe, I think you could. Perhaps you want to try honey, which I think would work just fine. Or light coconut milk instead of full fat? I think that would work too, it will just take longer to get your desired consistency. Please let us know how you modify the recipe to fit your needs by leaving a comment below.
Dairy-Free and Refined Sugar-Free Caramel Sauce
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tbsp arrowroot combined with 1 tbsp warm water (not boiling water)
1. Puree coconut milk, maple syrup, and brown rice syrup if there are any lumps in the coconut milk.
2. Cook coconut milk, maple syrup, and brown rice syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk mixture regularly for 5 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk arrowroot powder and water. Add to the saucepan and combine.
4. Cook this mixture until it thickens. I cook it, stirring constantly, for approximately 20 minutes.
5. Once your caramel has reached desired consistency (or softball stage on your candy thermometer) remove from heat. Let your caramel cool for 15 minutes, depending on the recipe you’re using it for.
Yield: Approximately 1 generous cup of caramel
Note: You can double the recipe but it will take double the time to boil down.