Oatmeal and Date Scones

by Maggie on January 14, 2013

GF & Vegan Oat & Date Scones 2-1

Pete has two favorite breakfasts – oatmeal and granola.  He’s a big fan of oats, and luckily we’ve found a brand of gluten-free oats that Pete can tolerate.

Over the holidays I combined Pete’s two favorite breakfasts and made him some scones.  They’re always are a holiday treat for us – with an Irish Grandmother and a Mother who loves to bake, I grew up eating scones.  Pete’s parents hail from England so he grew up on tea and biscuits. Scones are one of his faves too!

The quinoa flour in this recipe is pretty essential.  It really helps to capture that scone flavor.  As you probably know by now, I like my baked goods to be nutrient dense, so I also used some almond flour in this Oatmeal and Date Scone recipe.

If you’ve never made scones before, don’t be afraid.  They’re actually pretty simple to make and they can wow your guests, if you decide to share them.

With the combination of oats, dates and almond flour, this recipe is filling and makes a great breakfast treat.  If you don’t like dates, you might want to try raisins or even goji berries.  I like my scones plain, but Pete likes his smothered in coconut oil and jam.

GF & Vegan Oat & Date Scones 3-1

Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Oatmeal & Date Scones

• 1 cup almond flour
  • ¾ cup quinoa flour
  • ½ cup arrowroot flour or tapioca starch
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (I used coconut sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon psyllium seed husks
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ cup coconut oil (solid/room temperature)
  • ½ cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
  • 2 cups certified gluten-free oats
  • 2-3 additional tablespoons dairy-free milk, for brushing

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line a tray with parchment or a silpat.
3. In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, psyllium, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
4. Using a pastry blender, cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles mainly small crumbs.
5. Stir in the dates.
6. In a liquid measuring cup, add the vinegar and milk to create 1 cup of dairy-free ‘buttermilk’. Stir and let sit for a minute.
7. Add ‘buttermilk’ mixture to the dry ingredients, using a fork to combine the ingredients.
8. Stir in certified gluten-free oats until well combined.
9. Knead a couple of times on a floured surface (I use almond flour for dusting).
10. Pat the dough into a 2 cm thick round. Using a 6 cm round cookie cutter (or a cup), cut out rounds. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with any remaining scraps of dough.
11. Brush tops of the scones with extra milk and bake in 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Yield: 8-10 scones.

Shirley @ gfe January 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Oh, those look good, Maggie! I have some dates that I need to use. :-)

Tessa@TessaTheDomesticDiva January 15, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Love them! PInned for making soon!

Kathy January 15, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Oh how lovely! These sound so tasety and really perfect for a cold Winter’s morning. Thank you for sharing this awesome post.

Andrea S. January 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Perfect! It’s my turn to provide snack at my women’s group at church this week. I will be baking these tomorrow!

Manou January 15, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Could quinoa flour be replaced by spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour?
I want to make these delicious looking scones but I am not fond of the quinoa flavor and gluten is not an issue for me.
Thanks.

gayle January 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Could flax be used instead of Psyllium?

Karin Goodman January 15, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I have Celiac disease and have seen several recipes with psyllium. Where do you purchase it? I’m not much on buying on-line. I shop at Trader Joes, Whole Food and New Seasons, but have never asked for it, just looked and have not seen it. Would love more “secrets” to making thinks more “normal” for my baking.

Katherine January 15, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Oh, yum! How do they taste?

wanda January 16, 2013 at 1:07 pm

They look so good and I really miss scones/biscuits but I can’t do oats at all…….So I may have to skip this one :(

Aubree Cherie Davis January 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Yum! These look delicious! I’ve been doing a lot with psyllium husk in my diet, but I haven’t baked with it yet. Will have to give that a try!

Debi January 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm

These look AMAZING! I need to try these soon. :D

Sara January 16, 2013 at 3:54 pm

These look so good Maggie! I love scones with jam!!! I’ll have to try these.

Allison January 16, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Very clever recipe – not easy to make scones so nutritious, and I think I’m going to hit up my bulk section to grab that quinoa flour and try these!

Annie January 17, 2013 at 1:01 pm

These look awesome! Now if only we could come up with a dairy free version of clotted cream…

Kelly January 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

Wow, these sound really good…I have a question about dates: I have heard that many are contaminated with gluten, is there a specific brand that you use? I keep seeing tons of recipes that use dates but I need to be careful, my daughter is very sensitive to small amounts of gluten. Thanks!

Monika January 18, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Wow! We made these this week. We were able to make 13, which pleased my family so much. This is definitely a new teat in our home. For those who have not worked with psyllium husk, we found them in the bulk section of our health food store. We love cooking with it. Thanks again Maggie!

Gypsy March 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

Is this recipe low carb? I know the grains jack up the carbs in breads and such. It would be nice to know as I am diabetic…thanks.