Easy Grain-Free Pizza Crust

by Maggie on January 5, 2013

Two of my blogging friends, Iris and Brittany, released their amazing gluten-free cookbooks last year (2012 was a pretty good year for lots of my blogging friends).  I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of their books The Essential Gluten-Free Baking Guide Part 1 AND The Essential Gluten-Free Baking Guide Part 2.

These guides are pretty amazing – and essential for those of you starting 2013 on a gluten-free diet.  Brittany and Iris show you all there is to know about how to use: Amaranth, Almond, Quinoa, Garbanzo, Millet, Coconut, Sweet Rice, Sorghum, Buckwheat, Teff, Cassava, AND Potato Flours.  Thus, the reason for Part 1 and Part 2!

Here’s some highlights about these guides:

• Learn how to bake gluten-free goodness with 12 different and healthier gluten free flours.
  • Learn how to best substitute each flour (perhaps my favorite part).
  • Learn the basics of baking without eggs, corn, soy, and dairy.
  • Learn the ins and outs of unrefined sugars and how to use them in your baked goodies.

My favorite recipe is the Vegan Pizza Crust.  We’ve made it many times, and I’ve made a few changes to their recipe, based on what ingredients I always have in my kitchen.  Here’s my version of Iris and Brittany’s pizza crust.

Grain-Free Vegan Pizza Crust from She Let Them Eat Cake.Com

Easy Gluten-Free Pizza Crust

• 1 ½ cups almond flour (plus extra for dusting)
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • ¼ cup tapioca flour or arrowroot starch
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ¾ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground chia
  • 1 tablespoon whole psyllium husks
  • ¾ cup boiling water
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Set aside a baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, sift together almond flour, nutritional yeast, tapioca flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together ground chia, psyllium husks, boiling water, and olive oil.  Let sit for 5 minutes.
  4. Once the chia mixture has rested (it will thicken up), stir it with a fork to make sure ingredients are combined.
  5. Add chia mixture to flour mixture and stir until mixture comes together to form a ball of dough.
  6. Transfer dough to a lightly floured piece of parchment.  Lightly flour the top of the ball of dough and press with hands to desired thickness.  We like ours to be about ¼ inch thick and 9 inches round.
  7. Place dough (on parchment) onto baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees f.  Flip after ten minutes and bake another 10 minutes.  We top ours with pesto once the pizza crust is ready.  You’ll need to adjust your baking time if you’re topping with cheese or if you want a thin crust.

Click here to buy The Essential Gluten-Free Baking Guides.
Make sure you catch up with Iris and Brittany on facebook!

wanda January 5, 2013 at 7:23 pm

That pizza looks awsome I love pesto. It sounds like a simple crust to make and I cant wait to try it. thanks

Iris January 5, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Maggie, this is really funny…I saw the name of your post and had to scroll over because I love pizza crusts and wanted to see how you make yours different from mine. So surprised (and honored) that you used my recipe as a base. Although you’ve made some pretty big changes…I think the almond flour and nutritional yeast would taste AMAZING! I SO wish I could eat almonds so I could make your version!

Yasmin January 6, 2013 at 2:16 am

Hi Maggie :) Recently My husband and I have changed our diet to No Cluten No Dairy No Sugar and No processed food, its been difficult but the physical results are amazing and I am not just talking about weight loss. Anyway cut to the chase, we live in Jordan so there are so many items that we cant find here and we have been dying to get our mouths on a pizza :) Is there anything we can substitute the nutritional yeast, tapioca flour, arrowroot starch and whole psyllium husks? hahaha seems like half of the ingredients huh?
On a side note Thanks for your blog :)

Shirley @ gfe January 7, 2013 at 10:17 am

This crust and pizza look terrific, Maggie! I love that crust from the book, but I’m interested in trying your version, too. :-)

Off to share … xo,

Annie January 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Yum! I made this tonight for my sister, the kids and I and we all loved it! Definitely one of the tastier gluten free crusts I’ve tried and by far the easiest. Violet has a tendancy to throw most of the toppings on the ground (I just don’t understand toddlers…) and just eat the crust but with the ingredients in this one I felt way better about it. No more Bob’s pizza crust mix…this will be my go-to recipe from now on. :)

Rita December 21, 2013 at 10:17 am

Maggie, I’m wondering if you had any luck w/ a nut-free version of this crust?? Thanks!

Barbara July 21, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Thanks for the recipe, Maggie. When do you add the toppings – right after flipping or after baking another 10 min? How long do you bake with the toppings on?