Creamy Kiwi and Avocado Green Smoothie

by Maggie on January 22, 2013

Kiwi & Avocado Smoothie 2-1

We bought a Blendtec (a high-speed blender) two years ago and we haven’t looked back.  It was such a worthwhile purchase for us; it’s paid for itself many times over.

We run that baby at least 4 times a day, if not more.  It’s an amazing machine that makes soups, sauces, spreads, and smoothies of course!  What I love about my Blendtec is the nutrition you can pack into it.  In a matter of seconds, it transforms into liquid gold!

We make a lot of smoothies and normally I just throw a random combination of fruits, veggies, and super-foods into the blender, and voila, I have my breakfast.  Lately though, I’ve been craving greens so I thought it would be fun to create a true green smoothie.  Most of the time my smoothies are a purple-meets-swamp shade.  But not this one.

Kiwi & Avocado Smoothie 3-1

It’s so pretty.  If you’re not used to drinking green smoothies, I always suggest starting with a little bit of apple cider (or regular juice if that’s what’s in your fridge), and spinach.  It’s pretty tasteless in a smoothie.  So feel free to play with this recipe a little so it makes your cells and your taste-buds sing.  That way, you’ll definitely come back for more!

We go through a lot of avocados in our house – they’re perfect when you need a recipe to be creamy, but can’t use dairy.  They’re a great source of fat, so they can leave you feeling full, longer.  This kind of shake usually fills me up until lunchtime.

Creamy Kiwi and Avocado Green Smoothie

• 1 3/4 cups water
  • 2 organic kiwi, washed and partially peeled
  • ½ ripe avocado, pitted
  • ¾ of a frozen banana
  • 2 stalks celery, washed and chopped
  • ¼ cup frozen strawberries
  • ½ tablespoon ground chia (I used Mila)
  • 1 handful kale, washed and chopped

1. Combine all the ingredients in your blender and blend until it reaches desired consistency.  Add more liquid if desired.
2. Chill until read to serve.

Note: A high-speed blender is not required, but it will blend the greens so you don’t even know they’re there.

Heidi January 22, 2013 at 10:24 am

Yum! I made a smoothie similar to this a couple of times last week minus the chia & kiwi but used avocado and was delish!
You’ve taught me well ;)
xo

Maggie January 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Awesome Heidi! You’re an easy student :) Thanks for linking to this in your newsletter too.
xoxo

glutenfreeforgood January 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

I’ve been out of the smoothie loop lately. Winter and below zero weather doesn’t go with smoothies to me, but today is sunny and warm with an expected high in the 60s. I was just thinking I might have to blend up a power drink for my mid-morning snack. I even have all these ingredients, so I’ll give your creamy smoothie a whirl.

As far as color goes, I know what you mean. I have a smoothie post that I think is titled swamp-scum smoothie. I mix up some nasty camo-colors as well.

Blend on!
Melissa

Maggie January 24, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Hi Melissa – I don’t blame you! I have mine first thing in the morning, before I get outside :) And my coffee warms me up a few hours later! Camo-colors rock!
xo

Susan January 22, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for always posting such yummy things! So, I do have a question about your blendtec. It sounds like you are very happy with it. I have been thinking about a blendtec/vitamix for a while now. Will the blendtec do things like grind up dates, etc if you are making granola bars and stuff? I know a lot of recipes call for a vitamix to help with grinding things like dates, nuts and seeds and I just wanted to know if you have done any work with these types of foods with your blendtec?

Thanks!

Maggie January 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm

You’re welcome Susan. Thanks for reading and always supporting me!
I am so happy with my Blendtec, I did a lot of research and found there’s very few differences between the two. They basically work the same. The Blendtec sits lower on the counter so it fits under mine and it’s a slightly lower price point. It definitely grinds up dates etc for granola bars. They’re amazing machines and you will NOT regret it :) Maybe I should bring mine to your office for a play date!
Maggie

Susan February 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Hi Maggie! Sorry – I just saw this answer now! Thanks so much for getting back to me. Yes, I am really feeling that I NEED one of these types of blenders (I keep telling my husband it is a need, not a want! ha ha!). Thanks for the input!

Cara January 23, 2013 at 11:47 am

I love avocados in my smoothies too! So creamy and delicious.

Maggie January 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm

We have lots in common Cara :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free January 28, 2013 at 9:46 am

Haha. I had to laugh at your purple-swamp-mess comment. Mine look like that too a lot of times. :) I actually think my kids like them better though when they are bright green instead of brown so I have been making green ones lately too! LOL This one looks perfect! Got everything so I am going to make one for us after school. The boys will love this one since my latest concoction that I have been making them drink involves Chard, lemon juice, raw honey, avocado, and cucumber. They will welcome this one after my last flavor combo. :D
xo

Maggie January 31, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I love the swamp ones Kim! I hope the boys liked it – I’m impressed that they drink your chard version. That’s amazing! Must be the honey, right ;)
xo maggie

Erin / Cooking With Erin January 28, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I might need to switch it up a bit from my usual purple swamp combo! This looks great & I just bought kiwis today. Can’t wait to test it out.

Maggie January 31, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Thanks Erin. I love using kiwis in the winter because of their high vitamin c love :)
Enjoy!
maggie

Amber January 30, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi Maggie,

This looks incredibly refreshing right now! I had a heavy dinner…and seriously craving a sweet/tart smoothie this morning! Great recipe!!!

Hope you’re well lovely lady.

Maggie January 31, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Amber – This would be the perfect sweet/tart smoothie! That’s a great way to describe it.
I hope you’re well too – it’s been too long :)
maggie