Dairy-Free Almond Pesto

by Maggie on October 3, 2012

Kale is one of my favorite greens.  It is so loaded with nutritional benefits, I could start an entire blog just focusing on the greatness that is kale.  She Let Them Eat Kale.

Another thing I love about kale is the fact that it is going to grow in my Canadian garden until it snows, or even longer.  Once you plant kale it is so easy to grow.  Aside from watering it, I basically leave my kale alone until it’s ready for harvesting.

Combine kale with one of my favorite nuts, and you’ve got one heck of a dairy-free pesto.

We make pesto on a weekly basis and we all love it.  There’s few things I love more than seeing my kiddies digging into a bowl of pesto.  Raw greens, garlic, raw nuts or seeds, healthy oil.  Ahhh, it’s a Nutritionist Momma’s dream!

We serve our pesto with Mary’s Gone Crackers.  I’m quite sure they were invented to be a vehicle for pesto.

Pete and I also put lots of pesto on our pizza.  We fully cook the shell and then add our pesto and some pre-roasted toppings, voila.  A delish pizza for two. I happen to be working on a fabulous yeast-free pizza crust recipe, I will share it with you soon, I promise.

I don’t know about you, but I’ll be bringing this to our Canadian Thanksgiving celebration this weekend.

Dairy-Free Almond & Kale Pesto

1-2 cloves of garlic (we sometimes roast our garlic ahead of time)
2 cups of freshly washed kale
1 cup of loosely packed basil
1 cup of raw almonds
1/2 cup of organic extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp of sea salt (taste)
Ground pepper to taste

1.  Place garlic, kale, basil and almonds into a food processor.
2.  Blend until the ingredients are almost to a paste.
3. While the processor is running, add the olive oil.
4.  Taste and season with sea salt and ground pepper.

*Optional – add 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast to your pesto for a cheesy flavor.

Store pesto in the fridge for no longer than one week. If it lasts that long.
Yield: Pesto for one large pizza

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

The Healthy Apple October 3, 2012 at 8:01 pm

And…………..I’ll take that right now please. Hehe.
LOVE U! Can’t wait to chat on Monday.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and the kiddies!

Skylor @Sproutlifestyle October 4, 2012 at 11:12 am

kale is an awesome ingredient to bulk up sauces, I use it in guacamole a lot. Now this? Pesto? yes please!

Wendy @ CookingQuinoa October 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I have been obsessed with pesto lately and this looks like a good one! Love the use of kale – so healthy. I’m making pesto pizza this weekend and going to give this a try! Thanks!

Alisa October 4, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Wow, talk about a power-packed pesto! Have a great Thanksgiving Maggie!

Tessa@The Domestic Diva October 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I can’t wait to try a kale pesto version, I ‘heart’ kale too Maggie!!

Shirley @ gfe October 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Brilliant, Maggie! And beautiful photos, too. :-) Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, dear!

Minnie(@thelady8home) October 5, 2012 at 3:08 am

Wowwwww!!!! Thats wonderful. Too good.

Have a great thanks giving Maggie.

And yes, do join my dinner extravaganza this week.

Kim-Cook It Allergy Free October 8, 2012 at 9:45 am

Love love love this!! We make pesto with our greens we are growing all of the time. I actually love it with my arugula. It is REALLY peppery though so the kids do not love that one as much as they like it with the milder flavors like kale and chard. Great recipe, my friend!! :D

Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 9, 2012 at 8:13 am

LOVE this! I made cheese free pestos a few times this summer and I was so pleasantly impressed and surprised that I didn’t miss the cheese one bit. I haven’t made any with kale yet, but I have used swiss chard and was so happy I did. I cannot wait to try some with kale! Maybe this weekend :)

Lena August 27, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Maggie, I need to try one of your pestos so we can have a great pizza in our lives again! Have you ever tried cashews instead of almonds or walnuts? I’m wondering what other nuts or maybe even seeds you’ve tried besides those two? Thank you!