Summer Black Bean Bowl

by Maggie on August 12, 2012

After a busy summer day with my kids, I need a dish that’s quick so I can get supper on the table in no time.

My kids don’t LOVE visible veggies in a dish so I usually blend them in my oh-so-amazing Blendtec, or I pick out the beans and less visible veggies and serve them with some rice or in a wrap (don’t tell me I’m the only Momma who does this).  Liv is a little picky when it comes to beans, but Callum has grown to love them (yay Callum).

Our summer harvest is incredible right now.  My fridge is packed full of vegetables that I know I’ll dream of in January!  So I’m making the most of seasonal veggies and trying to keep our meals simple so we can really enjoy the tastes and textures of summer.

This Summer Black Bean Bowl features one of my pantry staples – coconut aminos.  We love using coconut aminos where we used to use tamari or soy sauce (although the flavor is slightly different).  Coconut aminos is naturally high in amino acids, minerals and vitamins.

Summer Black Bean Bowl

½ tablespoon coconut oil
1 large clove of garlic, minced
½ heaping cup leeks, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 cup cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 cups black beans
1 heaping cup swiss chard, chopped into bite-sized pieces
½ teaspoon sea salt
a couple turns of the pepper mill, or to taste.
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
or gluten-free tamari sauce
½ tablespoon sesame oil
¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped

Saute garlic and leeks in coconut oil (or water) for 3 minutes.   Add cabbage and black beans, stirring to combine.  Cook for another 10 minutes.  Stir in swiss chard, salt and pepper, coconut aminos and sesame oil.

Cook until veggies are soft and season with salt and pepper.  Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.  Serve over rice or quinoa.

Yield: 4 servings with rice or quinoa.  We like to top our bean bowls with sprouts and chopped cucumber.

Other recipes using coconut aminos:
Rustic Garlic Salad Dressing
Almond Bean Burgers

This post is linked to Gluten-Free Fridays.

Danielle @ Fresh4five August 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm

This sounds yummy! I have yet to try the coconut amino’s. We use fish sauce a lot to replace soy but I am interested in checking out this flavour option as well.

Maggie August 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Danielle – we love coconut aminos! Fish sauce is a good idea too.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

look really lovely! i love the sprouts! :)

Maggie August 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Thanks Caralyn!

Dawn @cuter than gluten August 12, 2012 at 6:17 pm

For sure, coconut aminos are great. I have a whole lot of black beans without a purpose so I might be trying this! Thanks.

Maggie August 13, 2012 at 7:28 am

Hey Dawn – Let me know what you think of the Black Bean Bowl when you try it. Enjoy!

Miz Helen August 13, 2012 at 11:38 am

Hi Maggie,
I just love your Black Bean Bowl, I am currently visiting daughter and I am going to make this for her, we will really enjoy it. Hope you are having a great day and thanks for sharing!
Miz Helen

Maggie August 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Thanks Miz Helen! I hope you and your daughter love it! How great to have a visit with her :)

Alisa August 13, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I’m going to have to try those aminos, as I’m curious how they differ. Love easy recipes like this one!

Maggie August 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Yes, you must try aminos. We love the flavor!

Minnie(@thelady8home) August 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This sounds fabulous. Surely going to try out.

Maggie August 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Thanks Minnie!

Ricki August 13, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Thanks for reminding me that I have a bottle of coconut aminos sitting in my fridge–great way to use them! :)

Maggie August 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm

You’re welcome Ricki! I always add some aminos when I’m wondering what else to add to a dish!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free August 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Maggie, what a great idea. And I have one bean lover and one who would be happy to never see another. Yay for Callum and Carson. ;) LOL And, oh my gosh, the colors here in your photos are so vibrant. Summer produce is amazing! Is this all from your garden or a local CSA?
I always get a bit sad during winter when the pickings are so much slimmer and less colorful…
Love what incredible foods your kiddos get to eat! Great job, my friend!!! ;) Off to pin..

Maggie August 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Kim! If we could just get Callum and Carson together :) It’s all from my amazing CSA farmers. I’m not looking forward to Winter’s lack of fresh produce way up here in Canada ;)

Megan@BlueStarVermont.com August 14, 2012 at 6:19 am

Thanks for another gem of a recipe. And simple too. Yeah! Now I am on a search for coconut aminos.

Maggie August 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm

You’re welcome Megan! Enjoy!

Skylor August 14, 2012 at 8:53 am

This looks great- I have a hard time making chard taste great so I am constantly wanting new recipes to see if I can change that tune. I’ll try this one!

Maggie August 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Hey Skylor – I’ve been adding it to my smoothies too – since we’re getting a lot of it from our CSA farmers. Honestly, I don’t notice the flavor once it’s all blended up! I hope you like the bean bowl.

Nancy August 16, 2012 at 3:56 am

Hi Maggie! What a nice idea. This sounds healthy! Thank you for reminding me of my black beans so I might be trying this. I gonna sure coconut aminos are fantastic. Thanks for sharing this info! I keep on reading….

Maggie August 16, 2012 at 4:14 am

Thanks Nancy! I hope you enjoy it.

Katherine August 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Yum!

I’m hosting a giveaway – would love for you to enter!

Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) August 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm

This looks awesome! My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we’d love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week’s link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-fridays-recipe-party-2/
Also be sure to link up your blog on our Gluten Free Bloggers directory. You can reach the directory by clicking the “glutenfree bloggers” tab on our blog! Thanks, Cindy :)

Maggie August 26, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi Cindy! Thanks for stopping by. I’ll head over and check out the linky. Thanks for the invite.
Maggie

Katherine August 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm
Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) August 29, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) YAY! Thanks for helping us build a wonderful Gluten Free Community! Its great to connect! See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

TheHolisticHealthCoach September 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm

This looks wonderful! I am a huge black bean lover! I love the combination of ingredients :-)

Maggie September 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Thank you! We just made it again the other night and LOVED every bite :)

Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts August 15, 2014 at 10:54 am

Like I said on Facebook, this bowl includes some of my very favorites and looks delish, Maggie! I don’t see bean sprouts listed in the ingredients, but I love those, too. :-) It’s a great reminder to order coconut aminos, too. ;-)

Thanks! xo,

Maggie August 18, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thanks so much Shirley! We love bean sprouts, plus they make anything look prettier ;)
xo