Summer Holidays & Vanilla Cashew Pudding with Raspberries

by Maggie on July 17, 2012

It’s so important for me to make sure my kids have a blast this Summer. And as you can see, we’re doing the best we can!  I believe in making the most of Summer (actually, we should make the most of every day).

We’re also staying cool eating lots of homemade ice cream (have you seen The Spunky Coconut’s new Dairy-Free Ice Cream Cookbook!?) and homemade popsicles.

Who says dairy-free living can’t be delicious?

We’ve learned how to satisfy our creamy cravings with recipes like this one for Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake or Chocolate fRawsties.

Cashews are an excellent base for dairy-free desserts – they lend a creaminess that few other nuts can add (and cashews are lower in fat than most nuts, don’t ya know).

This recipe is the perfect sweet treat – it’s easy to make so you can be sitting on the porch (or by the pool) with your family or your guests. It does take a little bit of planning so you can soak the cashews, but it’s definitely worth it!

Pete and I like this dairy-free pudding as an afternoon treat, but it makes an amazing dairy-free dessert too.  Our guests loved every spoonful!

Vanilla Cashew Pudding

1 cup soaked and rinsed raw cashews
9 pitted and soaked medjool dates
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoon dairy-free milk
Pinch of sea salt

Soak cashews for 4-6 hours. Rinse before placing in food processor. Pit and soak dates until soft (if you’re in a hurry you can soak them in boiling water).

Place cashews, dates, vanilla, milk, and sea salt in the food processor. Puree until mixture reaches desired consistency. If you’d like your pudding to be a little less thick, add more milk one tablespoon at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.

Chill and serve with fresh fruit – raspberries are my favorite, but it also goes fabulously with wild blueberries!

Yield: 4 servings

Are you new to dairy-free living? Be sure to check out Go Dairy Free for some amazing resources, ideas, and recipes.

Miriam Kearney July 17, 2012 at 11:49 am

Hi – love your blog and although I’m no dairy free – just really low carb and gluten free I often find recipes worth trying. It is my understanding that there is no such thing as truly raw cashews. according to the raw community they are cooked in some way (can’t remember how). So it is safe to assume that you mean what the world in general calls ‘raw cashews’ for this recipe?

Lauren @ Empowered Sustenance July 17, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I love the simplicity of this recipe. It seems like this would have a beautiful flavor with the dates and the hearty dose of vanilla extract. I look forward to trying this!

Marie-Claude Hamel July 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Maggie,
I am so happy you wrote this pudding recipe on your blog! Since Doug and I had it at your house last weekend, I have been looking forward to making it for our kids. It is absolutely delicious! You’re awesome!

Minnie(@thelady8home) July 18, 2012 at 2:33 am

Really loved the recipe. It sound so fabulous! Going to try it for sure as cashews are my fav. :-D

Alisa July 18, 2012 at 9:48 am

Yummers!!! I love everything with cashews.

So sweet to include a link to my site. Thanks Maggie!!!

amber July 19, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Maggie,

Simple, lovey recipe Maggie. :-)

Cashews + dates and (+ honey) are my favorite combos. I’ve been using cashews A LOT lately. Mostly because eating coconut (everything) for so many years is getting just a little old. I’m also loving cashews as a frosting. I use dates (and the date soaked water), as well as honey, vanilla, a little coconut oil, and lemon, and if needed some gum to thicken (and cacao sometimes). I made my daughter’s birthday cake this year frosted entirely with cashews! It was such a treat, so creamy and rich. I make cashew butter in my Vitamix and LOVE it.

I’m right there with you – cashews rock my world too. They are so amazing. The best for any dairy-free girl. :-)

P.S. I think I have that same exact bamboo bowl. Are we related??

Have a wonderful weekend, Maggie.

Hugs,
–Amber

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free July 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

Maggie, those sweet kiddos are so perfect! And I love that mid-air shot! :) I am sure that your kids are having the best summer…enjoy the last of it. I cannot believe ours is almost over in a few weeks. Boo :(
This pudding sounds absolutely amazing. I cannot wait to try this one! Such a great recipe!!
xo
k

Vicky July 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

This sounds heavenly!

Shirley @ gfe July 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

You know how I love seeing your kiddos! Super cute photos, and luscious, healthy pudding, too. Yum, Maggie, and thank you for the recipe!

Nancy July 31, 2012 at 10:16 pm

What amazing recipe! Fabulous photos sweet kids and so perfect timing to have the best special Summer Holidays. I love the simplicity of this recipe. I am going to try this Vanilla Cashew Pudding with Raspberries. It is absolutely delicious! Thanks for this info!