Rustic Raspberry Galette

by Maggie on July 30, 2012

I’m a believer of all things pie. It’s in my genes – both of my Grandmothers were amazing pie makers. My Momma’s a pie maker too.

So I’ve never been afraid to bake a pie.

Yes, even in the Summer heat.

I mean really, these fresh berries are just begging to be baked into a pie (unless they’re topping this pudding).

And since I’m a believer of all things pie, I’m also of the belief that Summer just can’t pass without a raspberry pie (my absolute favorite).

This is a fabulous pie crust recipe (if I do say so myself), and it’s quite easy to work with. It’s flaky and delicious. The combination of coconut oil and almond flour is a match made in pie heaven.

So please, before Summer is over, indulge a little and bake yourself a pie – you won’t regret it.

Raspberry Galette is really a cheater’s pie. You don’t need to worry about the pie plate, and a galette of any kind looks fabulously rustic.

Oh, and IF there are leftovers, you definitely won’t share them.

I chose raspberries for this pie, though I think blueberry would be fabulous too. And I’ll be making a peach pie in August. And an apple pie in October…

Who me? A pie-lover?

Raspberry Galette

Pie Crust

1 cup almond flour
½ cup millet flour
½ cup arrowroot flour
½ tsp sea salt
3 tablespoons certified gluten-free oats
¾ cup coconut oil, chilled and broken into small pieces
1 tablespoon ground chia mixed with ¼ cup water
2 tablespoons cold maple syrup
1-5 tablespoons ice cold water (only if needed)

Raspberry Filling

2 cups fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
3 tablespoons granular sugar (I used coconut sugar)

Combine almond flour, millet flour, arrowroot flour, sea salt, oats, and the coconut oil in the food processor. Process until it resembles pea-sized crumbs. Add the maple syrup and ground chia mixture and pulse until dough begins to form and combine. If necessary, add ice cold water HALF A TABLESPOON at a time.

Remove dough from food processor, place in a bowl, and chill for approximately 30 minutes. Any longer and the dough will get rock-hard (check on it after about 20 minutes to make up for temperature differences).

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Prepare raspberry filling by tossing berries with flour and sugar in a medium sized bowl.  Set aside.

Remove from fridge and roll dough out on a floured piece of parchment (I used millet flour to flour my work surface). Roll dough into a circle, until it’s approximately ¼ inch thick. Place raspberry filling on top and leave about 3 inches for folding. Carefully fold the dough over filling.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Check doneness (crust should be starting to golden) and remove when finished. Let cool completely before cutting.

I have another pie crust that’s lovely too – this one’s nut-free .

So what’s your favorite pie?

christine July 30, 2012 at 10:53 am

raspberries are my favourite summer fruit – and I have loved pies since for ever – so this one has my name on it:) summer on a plate, yummy, thanks for the recipe!

Maggie July 30, 2012 at 11:52 am

Looks like we have lots in common Christine :) I know you’ll love this!

Lauren @ Empowered Sustenance July 30, 2012 at 1:30 pm

This is so beautiful! I cannot believe it is egg free. I love coconut sugar, too–especially with berries!

Maggie July 31, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Thanks Lauren!

Minnie(@thelady8home) July 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Raspberries being my fav, even I would go with those than blueberries. This pie sounds really delish!!!!! I might give a try this summer.

Maggie July 31, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Thanks Minnie! I hope you do give it a try, you’ll be happy you did!

wanda July 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm

This sounds great but I’m allergic to oats so I’m wondering if it can be skipped or use more arrow root or tapioca to sub?

Maggie July 31, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Hi Wanda – I would use more almond flour as you want something a little bulkier than a starch. Let us know how it works out for you.

wanda August 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I thought maybe that would do it. thanks

bob July 31, 2012 at 5:03 am

Mmmm…..pie. I love the sound of an almond/coconut crust.
I noticed GF oats in the ingredients list, but not in the method. Which step should it be added in to?

Maggie July 31, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Thanks Bob – And thanks for catching that omission, it’s all been taken care of now. I’ll ship your editing fee asap : )

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free July 31, 2012 at 11:28 am

Wow! Look at that beauty! And I love that flaky crust. I have so many raspberries AND blueberries in the fridge right now. This would be such a fun way to use them up. It is my mother-in-laws birthday this week and I am in charge of her dessert. I think I will be making this one and finishing off the berries! :D

glutenfreeforgood July 31, 2012 at 11:42 am

First off, I love those little red-polish-chipped fingernails holding the berries. Oh my gosh, that is the cutest photo ever!

Second, this galette of yours looks amazing and also healthy. You’re a girl after my own heart when it comes to desserts. The berries are in full force at all the farmer’s markets around here. Your recipe came just in time. Thank you!

Melissa

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 31, 2012 at 12:42 pm

that looks so delicious! i love raspberries!

Maggie July 31, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Thanks Caralyn! Me too :)

Cara July 31, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Ohh I so wanna try this with peaches! That almond flour crust is really calling my name.

Maggie July 31, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Cara I adore peach pie! Well, anything peaches and anything pie :)

Alta August 1, 2012 at 9:34 am

As soon as it’s not 107 degrees out, I’m going to try a pie with your crust. It looks delightful. So do the raspberries. :)

Amanda August 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm

This looks and sounds so incredibly yummy…. I wish I owned the ingredients! lol. Nice work, Mags.

Alisa August 2, 2012 at 9:57 am

Oh my, that first photo had me drooling! How do you find arrowroot is for thickening? I was having issues with a pear filling recently – trialed tapioca and cornstarch (separately of course, didn’t have arrowroot) and really wasn’t liking the results. A bit gummy or gelatin-y.

Maggie August 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Drooling’s good, right? Haha. Thanks Alisa. I do love arrowroot for thickening. That’s pretty much all I use! I think you should try it. Let me know!

Carol August 2, 2012 at 10:05 am

So pretty and perfect for summer! Me, I am a pie lover too!!!

Maggie August 3, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Carol, let’s share a pie one day :)

Vicky August 3, 2012 at 7:17 am

Lovely pie! Just perfect!

Maggie August 3, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Vicky!

Shirley @ gfe August 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

Beautiful, Maggie! I love the sound of that crust. :-) I’m such a pie lover! ;-)

Maggie August 10, 2012 at 4:07 am

Thanks Shirley!

wanda August 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I just put the pie in the oven and can’t waite for it to bake much less cool! I had a gluten free flour mix that I had made looked at your ingredients and decided to try and use my mix as a “self rising” kind of flour. It already had thickener (tapioca I think) so I skipped the chia. It also had almond and millet flour. Wow did it roll out nicely (tasted yumy too). I think I’ll be using this recipe a lot from now on.

Maggie August 10, 2012 at 4:08 am

Wow, you made some great changes! I’m dying to know how you liked it. Didn’t you love rolling it out? It’s one of my favorite things to do – roll out dough!

Nancy August 5, 2012 at 11:47 pm

wow! amazing… raspberries! looks so delicious! love to eat this…thanks for sharing this info!

Heather August 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

I have had this bookmarked since you posted and I plan to make it this weekend for family. I was wondering if I could sub vegan shortening for coconut oil or vegan butter because I’m not sure how my family likes coconut flavor. If not I’m still making it lol!

Maggie August 10, 2012 at 4:09 am

Hi Heather – I’m not sure as I’ve never used vegan shortening. Let us know how it goes as I’m sure there are others in your boat :)

Diana E. Natalie Johnson August 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Hi Maggie,
It’s Diana from the Main Ingredient. Would I be able to post a link to your blog – specifically your GF pie crust recipe, on my food blog? Here’s the link if you wish to check it out. Pls note that I have just begun to work on this blog and it is still very much under construction, but I’m hoping it will be a convenient resource for people. It will have some gluten-free recipes but my focus is simply to provide info and ideas for revamping every-day recipes by substituting with more healthful ingredient alternatives. Let me know what you think and if I can share your link.
Thanks!! http://standinmykitchen.wordpress.com/

Diana E. Natalie Johnson

Maggie August 10, 2012 at 4:11 am

Hi Diana – It’s great to hear from you! Of course you can use a link to my recipe. I’m so excited to check out your site. Congrats! xo

Annie August 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I have some peaches that are just begging to be made into a pie. And I must say I think a ‘cheaters pie’ is more my style than the original….the less fuss the better in my kitchen!

Maggie August 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Mmm Annie, I need to make a peach pie too. It’s the best!

Lois August 15, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hello can I make this without a food processor ? Thanks

Maggie August 16, 2012 at 4:14 am

Hi Lois – I’m not 100% sure as I haven’t tried it without a food processor. Have you made your own pies before? If so, I’m sure you could try it without the food processor. I like using one because I don’t like cutting in the fat, I find it’s hard to get it just right :) Let me know how it goes!

Sarah August 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Just came across your blog for the first time today and it’s beautiful! Great recipes and great photos! I actually just did a similar recipe on my gluten free blog, http://www.sarahbakesgfree.com/2012/08/gluten-free-pie-crust.html.

I finally started my blog a few months ago and it feels so great to be a part of the gluten/allergen free blog community! Would love if you would check it out! Thanks!

-Sarah

Maggie August 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hi Sarah! So glad you found my blog :) Congrats on starting a blog! It’s a great world to be in. Off to check out your site :)

Lena August 25, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Oh dear, I have missed pie crust and I am trying to resist eating the whole pie! The raspberries and the flavor of the wholesome crust was divine. My daughter can’t eat dairy and I am dairy, gluten and egg intolerant, so this is truly feel good food. Millet is not so great for my thyroid so I used oat flour instead. As summer ends I need to do this before the raspberries are home! Thank you!

Maggie August 26, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Yay Lena! Thanks so much for letting me know. I am a HUGE pie lover myself and haven’t had a single slice this Summer. The horror! I must remedy that now! Thanks for reminding me :) I’ve used oat flour in the past too and it’s a perfect sub. I had no idea millet wasn’t good for thyroid! I must investigate.
Thanks so much Lena,
Maggie

Lena August 28, 2014 at 4:18 am

Maggie, from what I understand millet is considered one of those foods that can suppress thyroid activity for those who are hypothyroid. I run slightly that way so I take it easy on the millet, but it’s a great choice otherwise! :) thanks again!