We Planted A Garden!

by Maggie on June 17, 2012

Callum and Liv have taken an interest in planting and watering flowers so I decided to involve them in this year’s gardening adventures.

Please let me begin by telling you three things:

1. I am no expert gardener – I plant it, and if it grows we eat it!
  2. Our garden is teeny tiny.
  3. We had no plan. Just fun!

I do love taking my garden gloves off and getting my hands right into the earth. There’s something restorative about it.  And I love watching my kids get dirty in the garden.  I think it’s so important that we all stay connected to our dear Momma Earth.

Our adventures began when I took Callum and Liv to a garden center and the farmer’s market so we could pick out some veggies.

Here’s what we chose to plant:

Kale
Romaine
Cucumber
Broccoli
Pole beans
Green beans
Basil
Tomatoes
Lettuce

Pretty simple, right?  Let’s hope! If all else fails, we’ve got our amazing CSA Farmers working their magic for us!

Callum and Liv loved planting and they have since loved watching their seeds sprout into little plants.  Liv has a little trouble understanding why they aren’t ready right now!

I think gardening with your kids is a great way to teach them about real food.  My hope is Callum and Liv will try all of our successfully harvested veggies, and perhaps they might even fall in love with them!

I’ll keep you posted on our Summer progress!  I can’t wait to harvest some of our veggies and create some delicious recipes for you!  By the looks of our list, I’m guessing it’s going to be a salad recipe!

Did you plant a garden?  Perhaps you have some tips for us?

(The winner of The Pure Kitchen giveaway is Sarah – she said Organic fruits and veggies are the essential pure ingredients!  Thanks to all who participated.  I LOVED reading your entries.)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 17, 2012 at 10:36 am

how fun! and your kids are so cute! and i love the shots of their hands and feet — precious!

Maggie June 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thanks Caralyn – I really should’ve taken after shots of their hands and feet – I feel like we’re still scrubbing :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free June 17, 2012 at 12:19 pm

So so exciting! I love seeing those little hands and feet getting dirty in your garden! I cannot wait to hear about all of the fun things that pop up for you! Yay for getting the kiddos involved in growing their own food! There is nothing better than eating the very things you poured so much love into growing! ;) Here is to successful gardening adventures!
xoxo
k

Maggie June 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Ah Kim, you’re so sweet! I hope your gardening adventures are going well too! xoxo

Shirley @ gfe June 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Love this post, Maggie! You guys are going to have so much fun and so enjoy those homegrown veggies!

Maggie June 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Thank you Shirley! I can’t wait – the kale and romaine are almost ready for salads and smoothies :) xo

Tessa June 17, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I havebeengardeing with my kids since they were born. I think modeling is the biggest part, they see my real joy and passion and can’t help an get into to it too! It is also they only vegetables I can get my middle child willingly to eat…something in the magic of seeing it grow from a tiny seed into something you can eat. We spend time talking about the ins and outs of organic gardening and why we it’s important while we go on cabbage worm hunts….if you need any tips…let me know….gardening is a passion and true love Maggie!

Maggie June 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm

That’s so awesome Tessa! I will definitely come to you for gardening tips :) Thank you.

dee m June 17, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Precious and Priceless!! Love to see those little tootsies and hands in your new adventure for the little ones. :)

Our daughters are all grown now and on their own, two in NYC and one in NC. We have always grown a very large 80 x 100 ft garden. When the girls were very young they too yearned to be side by side with us in the garden, at times they had a small plot within the garden of their own to tend or they chose to have a separate area outside of the garden. Planting, nurturing their choices of saved seed was a thrill always. My heart smiled often as I’d hear them talking to their plants or singing to them. Boy I miss those days! :)

All three are advid gardeners now. From raised beds and vertical gardening to fire escape container gardening. They remind us often that those days of us actively letting them partake in the gardening, made many cherished moments that they often reflect back on. Letting them get dirty and be one with mother nature are some of their fondest memories.

I and my family find getting dirt under our nails, with hands in the soil warms our souls. What fun to see little fingers pushing seed into the earth, seeing the excitement brought forth when new sprouts pop through the soil with new life and hear them squeal with delight!! Enjoy these moments. :)

Maggie June 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Ah Dee, thank you so much for sharing your story – I love it so much! I am trying really hard to enjoy these moments. My son is headed into grade one in the Fall and I am wishing I could hold him back :) Time flies when you’re having fun!

christine June 18, 2012 at 8:08 am

you can’t beat freshly harvested home grown fruits and veggies – especially if you grow organically – you know exactly what’s going into your children’s tummies:)

My mother still grows vegetables, I grow fruit and vegetables, and so does my daughter – it’s a great family tradition – good luck with it:)

Maggie June 18, 2012 at 6:39 pm

That’s so true Christine – I LOVE knowing exactly what goes into their tummies! I hope to keep up this family tradition – my Grandfather had a beautiful veggie garden for as long as I remember. It’s in my blood too!

Alisa June 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm

How awesome! I’ve never planted a garden, nor had the yard for one. I can’t even keep our herb plant alive!

Maggie June 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Thanks Alisa! I didn’t think I could do it, until I actually tried. Now I love it :)

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat June 20, 2012 at 2:24 pm

What a great experience for your kids. (Love the adorable piggy toes!) I’m always astounded when my students come to KINDERGARTEN never having planted a seed. Happy growing and sowing!!

Maggie June 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Ah Heather – That’s a great point! Now I’m relieved that my kids are gardening with me :)

Cara June 22, 2012 at 11:20 am

Maggie, I’m impressed! We tried planting a couple of raised beds a few years ago, but failed miserably. I think we just don’t get enough soon. That and critter competition. Thankgoodness for great local farm stands :)

Maggie June 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thanks Cara :) I agree though, I still rely heavily on my local farm stands!

amber June 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi Maggie,

What a lovely post! Your children are just adorable. My husband and I also love to garden and we do in each growing season. My kids LOVE harvesting…that’s the best part for them.

We just watered our tomato plants, and my son was screaming with joy when he found a red one on there!!

This year we planted herbs, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, watermelon, pumpkins, and strawberries. :-)

It’s fun to find another blogger who finds joy in gardening and appreciates the special connection it has for children.

Hugs Maggie,
–Amber

Maggie June 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hi Amber – Thank you so much! Your kids are pretty adorable too :)
I can’t wait for us to start harvesting! Well, the fun stuff! Greens get kind of boring for the kids. Though it’s a good job for the morning while I prep for smoothies! We’re so blessed, aren’t we Amber!?
xo

Julie Daniluk July 12, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Lovely photos! Wonderful that you did this with your children. It is so important to engage children in growing, harvesting and preparing food. Studies show that young people eat more vegetables when they grow and prepare them!

Thanks for a great blog :-)

Maggie July 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by Julie!