Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Cookies

by Maggie on June 28, 2012

My kids are addicted to these cookies! And I couldn’t be happier – they’re full of healthier ingredients and they’re nut-free!

This is my first cookie recipe using NuNaturals Stevia (alcohol-free). Let me tell you, I loved cutting back the sugar (even unrefined sugar is sugar) and adding some stevia. If you want to skip the stevia (it’s okay, it took me a long time to come around to stevia), add a tablespoon or two of maple syrup.

This recipe also uses my latest obsession – teff flour. I’ve never regretted using that flour! It’s high in minerals (calcium and iron) and protein. If you’re going to bake with gluten-free flours, this is one of the best ones to use.

These cookies make the perfect ice cream sandwich cookie – the ice cream combined with the wafer-like texture of the cookie. Match made in ice cream heaven. If you don’t have any ice cream on hand, a glass of cold almond milk would be perfect for dipping.

Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Cookies

½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
¼ cup coconut sugar
14 drops (1/4 teaspoon) NuNaturals Alcohol-Free Stevia
1 tablespoon ground chia combined with ½ cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon psyllium seed husks
1 cup Teff Flour
1/3 cup raw cacao (cocoa powder would work too)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.

Cream coconut oil, coconut sugar, and stevia in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in ground chia and water mixture, vanilla, and psyllium seed husks. Combine until fully mixed in (coconut sugar won’t cream like regular white sugar).

In a small bowl, whisk the teff flour, cacao, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Using a tablespoon or a small ice cream scoop, place the dough on the cookie sheet and then press with the palm of your hand.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Yield: 12 cookies

Some dairy-free ice cream recipes that we love:

Strawberry Ice Cream
Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake

I have more plans for this cookie recipe so stay tuned!  Think Oreo cookies…

Ricki June 28, 2012 at 8:43 am

Those ice cream sandwich cookies have me drooling! I think I may need to skip lunch and just make some of those–lol!! :D

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 10:12 am

Haha Ricki! I think you should definitely do that – and have it with some Grilled Mango Ice Cream ;)

Alta June 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

These look deliciously addictive. I also love teff flour, especially with chocolate!

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 10:13 am

Me too Alta – it’s like teff and chocolate were made for each other. It also goes really well with gingerbread – but that’s another season. So chocolate it is :)

Hallie @ Daily Bites June 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

Drooling with Ricki. :)

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thanks Hallie!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free June 28, 2012 at 9:18 am

Sounds like there are a lot of puddles of drool right now. LOL I love these cookies and can see why you are so happy that your kids love them! They look amazing!! Such a great list of ingredients! ;)
xo
k

Stephanie June 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’ve never used teff before. Is there any substitute? Or should I just wait to make these until I can find some?

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hi Stephanie – I would wait for teff, but you could try it with brown rice flour if you have some. Let me know!

Shirley @ gfe June 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

Oh my goodness, Maggie! You won’t believe this, but I just came from a company lunch event where all different types of ice cream sandwiches were served. None of them were gluten free, of course, so I would have absolutely loved one of your ice cream sandwiches while others were enjoying theirs! Your ice cream sandwiches and the cookies by themselves look sooo good. :-) Great recipe and photos, dear.

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Thank you Shirley – I’m sorry to hear they tortured you like that ;) I’m glad you found some solace in my post! Thanks for the compliments! xo

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

those ice cream sandwich cookies look out-of-this world! i wish i could grab one through the screen! haha

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Thanks Caralyn!

Allergic Adventures June 28, 2012 at 11:15 am

Wow, these look delicious!! My kids are going to be so excited (& me too!!)

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

Oh good! I hope they love them!

Kim June 28, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hello,
the cookies sound delicious and I can’t wait to try them. I do have one question though would the cookies still taste the same and have the same consistency if you don’t use the psyllium seed husks and if I use regular sugar instead of the alcohol free Stevia?
thanks!
Kim

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

Hi Kim – Thank you! I’m not sure it they’ll have the same consistency, though they will still work! Cookies are pretty forgiving. Do you have xanthan gum? I used psyllium to replace xanthan gum (though only use 1/2 tsp of xanthan). If you use regular sugar they will certainly taste sweeter, but I think that’s okay, don’t you :)

Kim June 28, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thank you Maggie for your quick reply. I do have xantham gum, I will try that and see how they turn out. I normally use real sugar, honey or agave, I have not tried the liquid sweetners yet so I wasn’t sure if it would affect the taste/consistency or not. Thanks for your help! I can’t wait to try make these cookies :)

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Okay great Kim! I would use both granulated and honey or agave. You’ll need the wetness of the liquid sweetener. Let me know how it works out!

Kim June 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

thank you, I would not have thought to do both. I appreciate your help.

Kibby June 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Holy Cacao! These look fabulous! I have all the ingredients in house and will be making them after I finish typing this out. I wasn’t aware of the nutrients in teff flour – thanks for the info. I love NuNaturals stevia and always try to go low sugar with my treats. This is great! Will let you know how they turn out. Thanks so much!

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Thanks Kibby! Do let me know how yours turn out :)

Alisa June 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Those are some seriously hearty chocolate cookies Maggie! I REALLY need to make some ice cream sandwiches – drooling!

Maggie June 28, 2012 at 5:40 pm

You guys and your drooling :) Thanks Alisa!

Geanna June 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Wow. These look like a chocolate-lover’s dream. Where, oh where, can I find psyllium seed husks? I’ve seen them in multiple gluten-free recipes but don’t know how to get them for myself!

pamela June 28, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Is the chia and 1/2 cup water an egg replacer? If so, I would like to try the egg. Did you try it with egg and will it still turn out? Also can I sub honey for the coconut sugar?
Thanks so much for the recipe!

Maggie June 29, 2012 at 7:09 am

Hi Pamela – Yes, I used chia as you would use one egg. Though I didn’t try the egg. I think you could sub honey for the coconut sugar. The cookies are meant to be a little drier than most cookies – to have that oreo texture – so extra moisture will be fine. Please let me know how it goes :)

Gena June 29, 2012 at 4:55 am

Funny: I’ve been experimenting with my first sandwich cookie, too! These look wonderful, and I <3 that they're vegan!

Maggie June 29, 2012 at 7:09 am

Great minds think alike Gena :) Hehe. I love that they’re vegan too!

Kibby June 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm

OH WOW! Did these come out amazing! I didn’t have any teff flour (like I thought) so I substituted sorghum flour and they are lovely, delicate and some serious chocolate flavor! Good thing these cookies are small. Loved that they were vegan! Thanks, Maggie! This recipe is a keeper!

Maggie July 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Yay Kibby! That’s great news, thanks so much for sharing! I LOVE using sorghum flour in cookies too. Have a great weekend!

amber June 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Maggie,

You are the cookie queen friend! These are gorgeous. My husband caught a glimpse of these over my should here and was like, “WHAT are those, can you make those please.” I’m going to send him the recipe and maybe he can make them for ME!!! Now wouldn’t that be nice. :-)

And I can’t agree with you more about the teff. We are also big fans and love it. I always feel so good about giving it to my kids.

Have a great rest of your weekend Maggie.

Hugs,
–Amber

Maggie July 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Amber I could easily create cookie recipes for the rest of my life. They’re my fave! So quick, easy, and delish! I hope you enjoy them – and I sure hope your hubby bakes them for you :)

Annie July 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm

YUM!!!! Going to have to add this to the “To Make” wish list!
Annie.

Gena July 5, 2012 at 4:07 am

I haven’t worked with Teff flour before, but I have certainly made double chocolate vegan cookies, and these look as delicious as any!

Maggie July 8, 2012 at 8:13 am

Thanks Gena!

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats July 6, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Maggie, I just nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award :) Details on my blog! http://chelseaeatstreats.com/fashion-friday-12-blogger-awards/

Iris July 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I love teff too! And I love that you are one of the few bloggers that regularly makes desserts I can adapt for myself with very few substitutions :)

Maggie July 8, 2012 at 8:13 am

Thanks Iris! I’m happy to hear that :)

Carol@simplygluten-free July 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Gorgeous and I can tell they would be addictive!

Virginia July 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

What kind of chocolate chips do you use? I can’t find vegan ones that don’t have sugar…

Maggie July 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Hi Virginia – I usually use Enjoy Life chocolate chips which do have cane sugar. However, I’ve also used vegan chocolate bars which work just as well – maybe even better because you get chunks :)

Tiffany Lundin September 2, 2012 at 11:34 am

I also have to cut out sugar due to intolerances. Chocolate covered Katie has a sugar free vegan chocolate bar recipe you could try! It’s really simple and yummy! I just haven’t figured out how to make them into chip size. :-)

Maggie September 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hey Tiffany – Thanks for the tip about chocolate. I would have a hard time cutting it out too. Have you tried carob?

Amber July 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Maggie,

YOU are the cookie queen. Hands-down! I’m not so great in the baking department (I mean, cookies, okay I get it sometimes) but I love it when other people do all the work for me. I love that these are vegan. Just a beautiful recipe Maggie…and so healthy. Thank you!

Hugs,
–Amber

P.S. Have you ever tried Endangered Species chocolate bars? They do contain soy lecithin, but only sweetened with beet sugar. I often cut these into chunks and use in cookies. Super yum. Scott loves the mint chocolate bar. :-)

Maggie July 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Amber I love those chocolate bars – partly because I’m a sucker for beautiful animals :) I am more than happy to be the cookie queen! Thank you! xo

jen July 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm

These cookies look amazing. I want to make them so badly but when I went to whole foods they were out of psyllium husk. Can I use flax?

Maggie July 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Hi Jen – I think you could try flax – psyllium is definitely more gluey than flax or chia so maybe add a little more. Let me know how they turn out!

Emerald July 26, 2012 at 7:12 am

An Oreo version would be phenomenal! If this was 2 years ago I would have jumped all over Smitten Kitchen’s Oreo recipe, but diet changes win. I do look at her photos and drool a wee bit. Good luck on your version, Maggie.

Maggie July 27, 2012 at 2:23 am

Thanks Emerald! I checked out Smitten Kitchen’s recipe. Yum!

TheHolisticHealthCoach August 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

WOW! These cookies look amazing! Wish I could just grab one off of my screen ;-)

Maggie August 10, 2012 at 4:09 am

I think we’ll be able to do just that one day! Haha, let’s hope not!

sue August 13, 2012 at 6:40 am

I can’t get Teff flour, would brown rice flour be an okay sub? also, I never use sugar, only raw organic agave nectar, would it be a okay to use any cookie recipe?

Would you be able to fliter your recipe page to show vegan gluten free recipes at all, I don’t want to create a big problem, just wondering…more GF vegan recipes please!! :-)

Maggie August 13, 2012 at 7:35 am

Hi Sue –
I think brown rice flour would work, sorghum works really well in cookies too. Agave works well, but you’ll need to play around a little if you use it in a recipe that calls for granulated sugar since you’ll be adding liquid.

No need to filter my recipes, all but two or three are gluten-free and vegan.
Thanks for your notes Sue!

amber August 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hello Lovely Maggie,

I’ve been meaning to leave a comment (for a while now). I made these last month and they were AWESOME! And I’ve made them several times since. Maggie…you are, hands-down, the cookie queen. They are moist, chewy, and perfectly sweet. I followed your recipe exactly, with one exception (I used all carob). I haven’t gave my three-year-old son chocolate yet, so I always use carob so he doesn’t feel left out of the cookie fun. And I have to say, the carob translated GREAT (in case any of your readers are curious about this substitution)! These come together perfectly. Our family loves them. Thank you for this great, healthy recipe.

Hugs,
–Amber

P.S. I shared a picture of the cookies on FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Tasty-Alternative/288512964505836

Tiffany Lundin September 2, 2012 at 11:36 am

Can’t wait to try this out once I find teff flour! I have not even heard of it lol. I have been g free for 6 months and dairy/egg free for 3. Now I have to cut out sugar which is super hard when it comes to chocolate (all have sugar). But I do find agave to taste better than stevia. And coconut sugar is great too for those who were wondering! Thanks for your recipes. Can’t wait to try some!

Jill December 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Hello! Thank you for this recipe, I just made it and these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had in my life! (What are psyllium seed husks? I omitted them because I didn’t have any. )

Maggie December 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hi Jill! Thanks for your comment :) I am so glad you loved the cookies and had success without the psyllium husks. They’re a high fibre seed husk that acts like a glue – since we don’t get much glue in gluten-free. My kids love these too.