Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Cookies

by Maggie on June 28, 2012

My kids are addicted to these cookies! And I couldn’t be happier – they’re full of healthier ingredients and they’re nut-free!

This is my first cookie recipe using NuNaturals Stevia (alcohol-free). Let me tell you, I loved cutting back the sugar (even unrefined sugar is sugar) and adding some stevia. If you want to skip the stevia (it’s okay, it took me a long time to come around to stevia), add a tablespoon or two of maple syrup.

This recipe also uses my latest obsession – teff flour. I’ve never regretted using that flour! It’s high in minerals (calcium and iron) and protein. If you’re going to bake with gluten-free flours, this is one of the best ones to use.

These cookies make the perfect ice cream sandwich cookie – the ice cream combined with the wafer-like texture of the cookie. Match made in ice cream heaven. If you don’t have any ice cream on hand, a glass of cold almond milk would be perfect for dipping.

Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Cookies

½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
¼ cup coconut sugar
14 drops (1/4 teaspoon) NuNaturals Alcohol-Free Stevia
1 tablespoon ground chia combined with ½ cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon psyllium seed husks
1 cup Teff Flour
1/3 cup raw cacao (cocoa powder would work too)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.

Cream coconut oil, coconut sugar, and stevia in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in ground chia and water mixture, vanilla, and psyllium seed husks. Combine until fully mixed in (coconut sugar won’t cream like regular white sugar).

In a small bowl, whisk the teff flour, cacao, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Using a tablespoon or a small ice cream scoop, place the dough on the cookie sheet and then press with the palm of your hand.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Yield: 12 cookies

Some dairy-free ice cream recipes that we love:

Strawberry Ice Cream
Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake

I have more plans for this cookie recipe so stay tuned!  Think Oreo cookies…

Ricki June 28, 2012 at 8:43 am

Those ice cream sandwich cookies have me drooling! I think I may need to skip lunch and just make some of those–lol!! :D

Alta June 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

These look deliciously addictive. I also love teff flour, especially with chocolate!

Hallie @ Daily Bites June 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

Drooling with Ricki. :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free June 28, 2012 at 9:18 am

Sounds like there are a lot of puddles of drool right now. LOL I love these cookies and can see why you are so happy that your kids love them! They look amazing!! Such a great list of ingredients! ;)
xo
k

Stephanie June 28, 2012 at 10:35 am

I’ve never used teff before. Is there any substitute? Or should I just wait to make these until I can find some?

Shirley @ gfe June 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

Oh my goodness, Maggie! You won’t believe this, but I just came from a company lunch event where all different types of ice cream sandwiches were served. None of them were gluten free, of course, so I would have absolutely loved one of your ice cream sandwiches while others were enjoying theirs! Your ice cream sandwiches and the cookies by themselves look sooo good. :-) Great recipe and photos, dear.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

those ice cream sandwich cookies look out-of-this world! i wish i could grab one through the screen! haha

Allergic Adventures June 28, 2012 at 11:15 am

Wow, these look delicious!! My kids are going to be so excited (& me too!!)

Kim June 28, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hello,
the cookies sound delicious and I can’t wait to try them. I do have one question though would the cookies still taste the same and have the same consistency if you don’t use the psyllium seed husks and if I use regular sugar instead of the alcohol free Stevia?
thanks!
Kim

Kibby June 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Holy Cacao! These look fabulous! I have all the ingredients in house and will be making them after I finish typing this out. I wasn’t aware of the nutrients in teff flour – thanks for the info. I love NuNaturals stevia and always try to go low sugar with my treats. This is great! Will let you know how they turn out. Thanks so much!

Alisa June 28, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Those are some seriously hearty chocolate cookies Maggie! I REALLY need to make some ice cream sandwiches – drooling!

Geanna June 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Wow. These look like a chocolate-lover’s dream. Where, oh where, can I find psyllium seed husks? I’ve seen them in multiple gluten-free recipes but don’t know how to get them for myself!

pamela June 28, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Is the chia and 1/2 cup water an egg replacer? If so, I would like to try the egg. Did you try it with egg and will it still turn out? Also can I sub honey for the coconut sugar?
Thanks so much for the recipe!

Gena June 29, 2012 at 4:55 am

Funny: I’ve been experimenting with my first sandwich cookie, too! These look wonderful, and I <3 that they're vegan!

Kibby June 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm

OH WOW! Did these come out amazing! I didn’t have any teff flour (like I thought) so I substituted sorghum flour and they are lovely, delicate and some serious chocolate flavor! Good thing these cookies are small. Loved that they were vegan! Thanks, Maggie! This recipe is a keeper!

amber June 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Maggie,

You are the cookie queen friend! These are gorgeous. My husband caught a glimpse of these over my should here and was like, “WHAT are those, can you make those please.” I’m going to send him the recipe and maybe he can make them for ME!!! Now wouldn’t that be nice. :-)

And I can’t agree with you more about the teff. We are also big fans and love it. I always feel so good about giving it to my kids.

Have a great rest of your weekend Maggie.

Hugs,
–Amber

Annie July 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm

YUM!!!! Going to have to add this to the “To Make” wish list!
Annie.

Gena July 5, 2012 at 4:07 am

I haven’t worked with Teff flour before, but I have certainly made double chocolate vegan cookies, and these look as delicious as any!

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats July 6, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Maggie, I just nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award :) Details on my blog! http://chelseaeatstreats.com/fashion-friday-12-blogger-awards/

Iris July 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I love teff too! And I love that you are one of the few bloggers that regularly makes desserts I can adapt for myself with very few substitutions :)

Carol@simplygluten-free July 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Gorgeous and I can tell they would be addictive!

Virginia July 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

What kind of chocolate chips do you use? I can’t find vegan ones that don’t have sugar…

Amber July 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Maggie,

YOU are the cookie queen. Hands-down! I’m not so great in the baking department (I mean, cookies, okay I get it sometimes) but I love it when other people do all the work for me. I love that these are vegan. Just a beautiful recipe Maggie…and so healthy. Thank you!

Hugs,
–Amber

P.S. Have you ever tried Endangered Species chocolate bars? They do contain soy lecithin, but only sweetened with beet sugar. I often cut these into chunks and use in cookies. Super yum. Scott loves the mint chocolate bar. :-)

jen July 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm

These cookies look amazing. I want to make them so badly but when I went to whole foods they were out of psyllium husk. Can I use flax?

Emerald July 26, 2012 at 7:12 am

An Oreo version would be phenomenal! If this was 2 years ago I would have jumped all over Smitten Kitchen’s Oreo recipe, but diet changes win. I do look at her photos and drool a wee bit. Good luck on your version, Maggie.

TheHolisticHealthCoach August 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

WOW! These cookies look amazing! Wish I could just grab one off of my screen ;-)

sue August 13, 2012 at 6:40 am

I can’t get Teff flour, would brown rice flour be an okay sub? also, I never use sugar, only raw organic agave nectar, would it be a okay to use any cookie recipe?

Would you be able to fliter your recipe page to show vegan gluten free recipes at all, I don’t want to create a big problem, just wondering…more GF vegan recipes please!! :-)

amber August 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hello Lovely Maggie,

I’ve been meaning to leave a comment (for a while now). I made these last month and they were AWESOME! And I’ve made them several times since. Maggie…you are, hands-down, the cookie queen. They are moist, chewy, and perfectly sweet. I followed your recipe exactly, with one exception (I used all carob). I haven’t gave my three-year-old son chocolate yet, so I always use carob so he doesn’t feel left out of the cookie fun. And I have to say, the carob translated GREAT (in case any of your readers are curious about this substitution)! These come together perfectly. Our family loves them. Thank you for this great, healthy recipe.

Hugs,
–Amber

P.S. I shared a picture of the cookies on FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Tasty-Alternative/288512964505836

Tiffany Lundin September 2, 2012 at 11:36 am

Can’t wait to try this out once I find teff flour! I have not even heard of it lol. I have been g free for 6 months and dairy/egg free for 3. Now I have to cut out sugar which is super hard when it comes to chocolate (all have sugar). But I do find agave to taste better than stevia. And coconut sugar is great too for those who were wondering! Thanks for your recipes. Can’t wait to try some!

Jill December 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Hello! Thank you for this recipe, I just made it and these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had in my life! (What are psyllium seed husks? I omitted them because I didn’t have any. )