Start a Food Revolution at The Farmer’s Market

by Maggie on May 19, 2012

You can start a food revolution from your bed fridge. Or from your garden. Or even from your Farmer’s Market!

Today is Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution Day day and to honor it, I thought I would share our gorgeous outdoor Farmer’s Market with you. What better way to revolutionize the way you eat, than to regularly visit your Farmer’s Market.

We’re lucky enough to have access to local produce all year round. Some of our local farmers go inside during the Winter so we’ve even had access to carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, sprouts, onions, and beets.  My Mom and I (and usually the kids) visit the Farmer’s Market every Saturday – we’re pretty faithful and we’re incredibly grateful for our Farmers.

I grew up going to this Farmer’s Market and I want my kids to grow up the same way.  I think it’s important for all of us to know where our food comes from.  And it’s even more important for me to know the farmers who grow the food that nourishes my family.

My kids love seeing all the people, buying some maple syrup candy, and picking out the produce we’ll bring home.  Pete loves it when I bring him home some locally roasted, fair trade, organic coffee (and some fabulous chocolate to go with it).

It’s finally Spring in these parts and that means fresh greens, asparagus, rhubarb, beautiful flowers, and even wild leeks. We’re so lucky. I’ve been waiting (im)patiently for asparagus. Since it arrived, Pete and I have been gobbling it up – steamed, roasted, and even chopped raw into our salads.

When I come home with a fridge full of fresh, local, organic produce, I have no excuse but to whip up an easy, nutritious, and healthy dish.  We like to make salads, stir-fry, or soup with our Spring Farmer’s Market produce.

Here are some recipes and posts to inspire your Farmer’s Market trips.

I bought Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution cookbook for my brother-in-law and he is loving it!

Need more inspiration? These guys should get you going.

glutenfreeforgood May 19, 2012 at 10:57 am

What a wonderful blog post! I love the photos and your (I take those are your little kiddos) are over-the-top cute! This is where OMG can seriously be used! I love the name WoolerDale Farm. =) I have a fresh bunch of asparagus and your quinoa salad sounds perfect. Thanks! And thank you for including me. I appreciate it.

Yes, pass the real food!

Can’t wait for my CSA to start delivering. I ordered a share of micro-greens to go with my veggie, fruit, and egg shares.

Peace, love, and green veggies!
Melissa

Maggie May 19, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Why thank you lovely Melissa!
I love that post of yours – I’m going to study it again before I see my CSA farmers :)
Yes, they are my little kiddos. My little real food warriors, whether they want to be or not!
Enjoy your CSA!

Ricki May 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

Great post, Maggie! Thanks for all the tips. And I had no idea today was *the* day! Thanks for including my dandelion salad, too. :D

Maggie May 19, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thank you Ricki! I would love to try your salad – it’s just getting my head around harvesting my own (because I have lots on my lawn).

Hallie @ Daily Bites May 19, 2012 at 11:51 am

Your kids are TOO cute!! I just want to jump inside my computer and squeeze them. In a good way. :)

Maggie May 19, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thank you Hallie. I think so too :)

Deanna May 19, 2012 at 11:51 am

I LOVE the farmer’s market, too. I was there this morning and bought asparagus, spring greens and maple syrup. Yay to spring!

Maggie May 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Yay to Spring is right Deanna! I love it, lots of organic produce coming our way.

Vicky May 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Gorgeous photos! Our farmers markets are nothing like this!

Maggie May 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thanks Vicky! I’ve seen other people post pics of their market and I’ve always wanted to do one here. It was so fun!

The Healthy Apple May 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Thank you so much for including my recipe in here, Maggie; you are so thoughtful and I loved this post! I wish I lived closer so that I could shop at the market with you and the kids and cook together.
Sorry for the game of phone tag this week, hehe…let’s try to chat this upcoming week or tomorrow!
xoxo
Love you; thanks again!

Maggie May 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

My pleasure lovely girl! I would love to live closer to you – I might move to Manhattan, someone’s gotta do it :)
Hope we can chat soooooon!

Shirley @ gfe May 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

Oh, Maggie, I adore this post!! You are raising those adorable kiddos right! Such a great message–thanks for sharing! :-)

xoxo,

Maggie May 21, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thank you Shirley, that means a lot to me! My kidlets do enjoy their share of treats, but overall I am so happy with the food they eat. xo

Lea May 20, 2012 at 11:38 am

Hi Maggie

I just LOVE your website and recipes so much and use them all of the time! You are very inspiring thank you. What farmers market is it that you go to? I have yet to find an awesome one around Whitby area !

Maggie May 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

Ahh thank you Lea! I’m so glad I inspired you to leave a comment :) We go to one in Peterborough. I think there is a decent one at Oshawa Town Centre, no? Good luck finding one. And thanks for your lovely comment.

Annie May 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm

We love our farmers market and want the same for our kids…to grow up eating food grown by people they’ve met! We went yesterday and bought some rhubarb which is just begging to be made into those yummy looking butter bars. Thanks for the link, I’ll be making them soon.

Maggie May 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

Hey Annie – Too bad we couldn’t go to the same market, right? Maybe one day :) Enjoy the bars. xo

Lindsey May 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Great pictures, great post! You have inspired me, yet again. :)

Maggie May 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

Ah Linds, thanks for saying so. xo

Heather May 21, 2012 at 7:30 am

Great post Mags. Wish I could join you every Saturday; going to market with Maggie is one of my favourite things!

Maggie May 21, 2012 at 11:59 am

Me too Heather Kane, me too!

Alisa May 21, 2012 at 10:15 am

The kids are adorable! I am super envious of the good farmer’s markets. It’s been years since I’ve been anywhere near a good one.

Maggie May 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Thank you Alisa – I think so too, but I’m totally biased. I hope you find a good one soon. I can’t imagine life without one. I think if we ever moved, a good farmer’s market would be a must-have!

Catherine May 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm

your the best!!!!

Catherine May 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm

mind my spelling:) (you are the best!)

Maggie May 24, 2012 at 4:16 am

Thanks Catherine :) So are you of course!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free May 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

Maggie, these photos are just stunning…particularly the two at the top with those beautiful little sign holders of yours ;) !! Your kids are so lucky to be growing up with you and Pete for their parents. You are giving them the most amazing foundation for health and knowledge of why it is so important to feed our bodies right!
And we have been going crazy with asparagus too here! I chop it up small and add it into our salads a lot. Strangely enough, my kids like it better that way than steamed or roasted.
I love this post!!
xo
kim

Maggie May 24, 2012 at 4:19 am

Thank you Kim! Veggies (and my kidlets) are pretty photogenic, aren’t they? Thanks for the tip about your kids and asparagus – I haven’t even given it to them because I didn’t think they’d like them. Now I’ll try it raw. You’re awesome! xo

Michelle May 23, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hi Maggie,

Great post! First of all where is this awesome Farmers Market? Love the BIG bags of cacao nibs!
Also wanted to mention, that it was Jamie Oliver ‘s Food Revolution that inspired our families first major pantry makeover about 2 years ago! The kids helped read the labels of everything, if they couldn’t read it or didn’t know what it was, it went bye-bye! Now we make almost everything from scratch, Organically.

Also your sign holders are very cute!

amber May 24, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Hi Maggie,

I can’t agree more!! We love our Farmer’s Market and go as much as possible (ours is held twice a week: Wed. evenings and Saturday mornings). They have conventional food too, but we are a 100% organic family and support our local organic farmers.

There is simply nothing better that a Farmer’s Market vibe. I feel so connected to my community and to the earth. I love it. I hope to one day sell some of my food there for other folks on special diets to enjoy! :-)

Thanks for sharing with us Maggie.

Hugs,
–Amber

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm

aw! your children are precious! i love farmers markets! So many fresh veggies, and great for people watching! thanks for sharing! great blog!

Maggie May 29, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Thanks Caralyn – Sorry it took so long to get your comment up, you were in my spam :( Sorted now!

kristy @ coconutmama June 3, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Your kiddos look so cute with those signs! Any tips on how to pass on a love for healthy foods to your kiddos?

Maggie June 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Kristy! I just talk openly and honestly about real food and the effect food has on our bodies. My 5 year old likes to know which foods will make him stronger :) I think the best thing we can do is model a love for healthy foods!

kristy @ coconutmama June 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

Thanks Maggie! I agree. Much like everything else that we want to pass on to them, I suppose. And we just hope and pray that they will start to make good choices on their own. I love that you involved them with the signs. That was fun for them I am sure. And my 5 year old likes to know what foods will help her grow so she can go on the big rollercoasters at Disneyland. haha!

A Table in the Sun June 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for promoting REAL FOOD. It is so important for our health, our environment, and our economy. Win! Win! Win!