You can start a food revolution from your
bed fridge. Or from your garden. Or even from your Farmer’s Market!
Today is Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution Day day and to honor it, I thought I would share our gorgeous outdoor Farmer’s Market with you. What better way to revolutionize the way you eat, than to regularly visit your Farmer’s Market.
We’re lucky enough to have access to local produce all year round. Some of our local farmers go inside during the Winter so we’ve even had access to carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, sprouts, onions, and beets. My Mom and I (and usually the kids) visit the Farmer’s Market every Saturday – we’re pretty faithful and we’re incredibly grateful for our Farmers.
I grew up going to this Farmer’s Market and I want my kids to grow up the same way. I think it’s important for all of us to know where our food comes from. And it’s even more important for me to know the farmers who grow the food that nourishes my family.
My kids love seeing all the people, buying some maple syrup candy, and picking out the produce we’ll bring home. Pete loves it when I bring him home some locally roasted, fair trade, organic coffee (and some fabulous chocolate to go with it).
It’s finally Spring in these parts and that means fresh greens, asparagus, rhubarb, beautiful flowers, and even wild leeks. We’re so lucky. I’ve been waiting (im)patiently for asparagus. Since it arrived, Pete and I have been gobbling it up – steamed, roasted, and even chopped raw into our salads.
When I come home with a fridge full of fresh, local, organic produce, I have no excuse but to whip up an easy, nutritious, and healthy dish. We like to make salads, stir-fry, or soup with our Spring Farmer’s Market produce.
Here are some recipes and posts to inspire your Farmer’s Market trips.
- This post from Gluten-Free For Good will have you and the farmers speaking the same language.
- I love this one from The Healthy Apple – Rhubarb Salad Dressing!
- You can make this salad from the dandelions in your yard, thanks to Diet, Dessert and Dogs.
- A Vegetarian Asparagus Stir-Fry recipe from 101 Cookbooks.
- Pan-Fried Asparagus Tips With Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest from Kaylyn’s Kitchen.
- A Quinoa Spring Salad from yours truly – perfect for asparagus and greens.
- Summer Produce Ratatouille – I’ll be bookmarking this one from Tasty Eats at Home for August’s bounty.
- And for dessert? Rhubarb Butter Bars – Raw, Vegan, & Grain-Free from The Mommy Bowl or how about some Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble from Gluten-Free Canteen!
I bought Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution cookbook for my brother-in-law and he is loving it!
Need more inspiration? These guys should get you going.
Print This Post