Lemon Poppy-Seed Cookies

by Maggie on May 11, 2012

I am so proud of my Momma – she’s made some major changes in her diet in the last few months and she’s looking and feeling fabulous!

After reading Wheat Belly, she decided to switch to a gluten-free lifestyle. She’s also taken on dairy-free living. And refined sugar-free living.

Yes, she’s a superstar! And she also happens to be an amazing and supportive Mother. I can’t imagine where I’d be if it weren’t for her love in my life.

My Mom and I share a love for many things (chocolate, baking, sweet treats, good books). One of our favorite loves is the combination of lemon and poppy-seed.

This Lemon Poppy-Seed Cookie recipe is for her. I wanted to create something she would love for Mother’s Day. These cookies are perfectly tart and they go so well with a cup of tea. Oh, and my Mom loved them.

They also happen to be loaded with some of my favorite gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients. And did you know poppy-seeds are good for you? Poppy-seeds are an excellent source of essential fatty acids, fiber, and minerals.

Lemon Poppy-Seed Cookies

¾ cup coconut oil, room temperature
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup agave or maple syrup (I used agave)
2 tablespoons psyllium husks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
3 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon poppy-seeds, plus extra for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silpat.

In the bowl of your mixer, cream coconut oil for 3 minutes (to get all of the lumps out). Add lemon juice, agave, psyllium husks and vanilla. Mix until well combined.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir in lemon zest and poppy-seeds.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Roll tablespoonfuls of dough and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Press gently with the palm of your hand and sprinkle with extra poppy-seeds.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Watch them! The edges like to brown quickly. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for five minutes. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 24 cookies

I hope all of you Mommas out there have a beautiful and peaceful Mother’s Day.

Thea May 11, 2012 at 7:40 am

Thank you for the egg free cookie recipe! Wow….another treat!

Alta May 11, 2012 at 9:16 am

So I bet you could also make these with your beloved pumpkinseed flour! :) Love that first photo. And it doesn’t hurt that these are lemon. And poppyseed. Yum.

Shawna May 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

I was wondering if these could be made with pumpkin seed flour? I would love to give them a whirl if it would work!

Robin Ives May 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

These look yummy! Can’t wait to try.
I made your pumpkin seed/flax cookies, but with carob chips instead of choc chips. They are amazing. They were universally popular – with adults and kids alike… even those who are not gluten-free.
Thank you for your creativity! You rock!

Cassidy @ Cooking Gluten (& Dairy) Free May 11, 2012 at 10:35 am

This looks perfect!!! What a great recipe with great ingredients, thank you!

christine May 11, 2012 at 10:43 am

hurray for your mum! We’re never too old to address our ways of life, are we? I hope she enjoys her new diet – I’m vegan and gluten free, and still enjoy my food hugely, without the bloating and discomfort:)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free May 11, 2012 at 11:08 am

Alta SO read my mind. I was totally thinking that these would work with pumpkin seed flour!! I just subbed out half of my almond flour for pumpkin seed flour in my chocolate cookies last week and they were awesome!! You have me hooked on it now. I love this recipe. My mother-in-law is a sucker for ANYTHING lemon-poppyseed. She would love these. Maybe I will whip her up a batch~ :)

Hallie @ Daily Bites May 11, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yum-o! So many of my fave ingredients in one recipe. Almond flour? Check. Poppy seeds? Check. Lemon? Check. Maple syrup? Check. Coconut oil? Check. Thanks, Maggie!

Alyssa @ Queen of Quinoa May 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

These sound absolutely delicious!! Lemon Poppy Seed everything is just the most splendid combination and I know my mom would love these just as much as I would. Thanks for a fabulous recipe – have a happy Mother’s Day! xo

Wendy May 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I’m so thankful for the egg free recipe. I can’t wait to try it with my kiddos.

Tessa Domestic Diva May 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Looks so good Maggie! Can’t wait to try these! My mom has recently made changes too and now realizes the negative effect of gluten on her body too….crazy stuff! It’s nice to inspire people….

Shirley @ gfe May 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Oh, Maggie, I’m so proud of your mom! And nothing has made me want to buy psyllium husks more than seeing that they are in these cookies! Wow, I want those now! No kidding.

xoxo,

kathleen May 11, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Love lemon poppy seed anything, but can’t have almond meal. What can I sub?

Siew wei May 11, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Hi I’m a bit Confused With the measurements of the almond flour. May I know is it two 1/2 cups of almond flour or 2+1/2 cups of almond flour?

Carol, Simply Gluten Free May 12, 2012 at 7:42 am

Lovely! Wishing you and your Mom a very happy Mother’s Day!

wanda May 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm

these sound great. and no zanthan gum yeah! I wonder if I could switch arrow root for the psyllium…I just don’t have any at the moment and can’t waite to try them.

Cathy May 13, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Maggie, I love Lemon Poppy seed baking. I cannot wait to try these. Is there something you can recommend to replace the Almond Flour?
Thanks
C

Carly May 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm

These look super yummy!! I love lemon flavoured anything…

Alisa May 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Wow, a serious superstar!! Those cookies look like little muffin tops – so cute!

Amber May 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hi Maggie,

Lemon is my all-time favorite in cookies. I crave lemon and tart like my husband craves his chocolate!! Great recipe, Maggie.

Hugs,
–Amber

P.S. Good for your mom! That’s awesome. I’m sure you had a great Mother’s Day Maggie.

Gena May 18, 2012 at 6:04 am

Hooray for awesome vegan treats! How exciting that your Mom has made such positive changes.

rose May 22, 2012 at 10:41 pm

these cookies sound awesome, but im going to make them orange poppy seed for a friend who loves that flavor combo and is on a strict diet. thanks

TheHolisticHealthCoach June 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm

These cookies look so delicious! I love lemon poppy seed…adding the list of ingredients to my shopping list and will buy them over the weekend! Thank you for posting! I can’t wait to try them!

Annie June 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I just made these to serve to my Dad and the rest of my family tomorrow and of course Quincy and I couldn’t help but taste one right away. They are so so good. Can’t wait to see what everyone thinks tomorrow!

bob July 25, 2012 at 6:01 am

Hi Maggie,
I love almost anything lemon, it’s such a good flavour isn’t it?

I helped my mum make them this afternoon, and although the batter tasted good, I’m sorry to report that the cookies didn’t really turn out. They spread out in the oven and ‘melted’ into each other. They didn’t really cook either, and ended up very greasy. If you touched one, your hand came away with a thin covering of oil. We followed the recipe almost to the letter, (only subbing maple syrup for the agave, and adding a tiny amount more poppy seeds and lemon zest).
Have you got any ideas of what might have gone wrong for us? What almond meal do you use? How thick is your maple syrup? (the cookie dough looked a bit wet after everything was mixed in, but the dough held together alright)

sue August 13, 2012 at 5:23 am

Hi Maggie, I have just dicovered your excellent website and would love to make these cookies, however I find psyllium husks diffiuclt on my digestive system, what would you recommend I sub them for? I don’t deal well with flax seeds either, although I do use the raw oil on my food for the EFA.