Creamy Mediterranean Salad Dressing

by Maggie on May 2, 2012

We are finally getting fresh organic salad greens at our Farmer’s Market. It makes such a difference to our salads.

While we don’t eat exclusively local foods, we like to eat local fruits and veggies as much as possible. It’s more affordable, and better for you (the closer your fruits and veggies are to the farm, the more vitamins and minerals you can get from them). Plus, it supports your local farmers!

With fresh greens in the fridge, Pete and I have been whipping up a lot of salads, and we’re always trying out a new dressing. We’ve been using stevia to sweeten our dressings, it works like a charm and you only need a small amount. I like to use NuNaturals alcohol-free liquid stevia. There’s no aftertaste and it’s perfectly sweet.

While I do like an oil and vinegar based dressing, I also like a creamy dressing. We get dairy-free creaminess from avocados, soaked cashews, and seed or nut butters.

This salad dressing recipe uses tahini (sesame seed butter) and works fabulously with kale. Pour it on, massage it in a little, and let it sit for a few minutes before serving. We also like to use this dressing as a dip for veggies.

Mediterranean Salad Dressing

¼ cup tahini (sesame seed butter)
juice of half a lemon
11 drops liquid stevia (try 1 tbsp of maple syrup if you don’t have stevia)
¾ tsp ground paprika
½ tsp sea salt or herbamare
1 tbsp flaxseed oil (extra virgin olive oil works too)
1 clove finely chopped garlic
¼ cup water

Combine all ingredients in your blender and blend to desired consistency.
If necessary, add more water to thin it out.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Use immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

Other salad dressing options from She Let Them Eat Cake:

Check out Ricki’s Build A Super Salad post at The Balanced Platter for more salad inspiration.

What’s in your favorite salad dressing?

Shirley @ gfe May 2, 2012 at 10:19 am

You guys are the undisputed queen and king (or vice versa, depending on the day, right? ;-) Love all your dressing recipes!

Thanks! xo,

Maggie May 2, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Oooh Shirley, I like that :) Kind of like you’re the crustless queen? Hehe.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free May 2, 2012 at 10:25 am

It is funny how our growing seasons can be so different. I am slowly already having to pull my dark leafies out of my garden because it is getting too darn hot. My Kale already bolted the other day and my Chard plants are not looking so great either (we have had 90 degree temps for the last couple of weeks already). While the rest of the country is amping up for the late spring /summer gardens, we are already winding down with ours. :( We can grow some things but not nearly what we can grow the rest of the year. This dressing looks amazing. I have been getting the Once Again Organic Tahini lately and it is so amazing I can just eat it with a spoon. LOL I love the ingredients in this dressing! It looks amazing – of course I will be trying it. :)

Maggie May 2, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Kim that is so funny! I am so pumped for our growing season! I don’t know if my fridge will be able to handle it :) I hope you guys love the dressing. xo

Tessa@TessaDomesticDiva May 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

Drool!! I love the flavors here, a must try!!

Maggie May 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Thanks Tessa! So glad it works with SCD too. Yay!

Vicky May 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm

This looks nice, I could use honey and make it suitable for the SCD – I might make it this Saturday since we’ve got a houseful and eating we’re eating salads amongst other things!

Maggie May 2, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Yay! Let me know how it goes Vicky! As I said earlier, I’m so glad it works for SCD! Can I come to your party?

Vicky May 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Of course – I think it’s only a few thousand miles to travel! Hopefully I’m going to take pictures of some of the food, though this depends on time constraints and the fact that I have to take dozens of photos to get one that works! Hopefully I’ll manage to post some of the salad recipes in the next week or so!

Hallie @ Daily Bites May 2, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Mmm…I know I’d love this dressing, Maggie. If you squint your eyes, that picture looks like a Monet watercolor. I’ll eat anything that looks like art! :)

Maggie May 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Well Hallie, I do like to consider myself an artiste :) Thank you!

Cara May 3, 2012 at 7:37 am

I love the idea of something sweet with tahini, if that makes sense. In Greece, one of the most amazing dishes I have ever eaten was grilled haloumi with a honey-tahini sauce. That’s what I immediately thought of when I saw your ingredients!

Maggie May 4, 2012 at 8:43 am

That sounds amazing Cara! I would love to make this salad dressing for a bloggers lunch :) So when? Hehe.

Kalyn May 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Love the sound of this! You had me at tahini.

Maggie May 4, 2012 at 8:43 am

Well that was easy Kalyn :) So happy to see your virtual self here!

janet @ the taste space May 3, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I am also loving simple dressings to add to grains, beans and veg. This looks great! Can’t wait to try it out! :)

Maggie May 4, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thanks Janet – I think this would be a great dressing for a rice bowl! Thank you for the idea :)

The Healthy Apple May 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm

This looks amazing!!! I cannot WAIT to chat with you this week and see your pretty face. Happy Mother’s Day.
xoxo