A Gluten-Free and Vegan Roadtrip: Bunner’s Bakery

by Maggie on April 3, 2012

As the Mom of two little gluten-free cuties, I am happy to do a lot of baking. But I’ve also dreamed of being able to take my kids to a bakery where they can eat anything they want. And where Pete and I can eat anything we want!

Enter Bunner’s bakery – a gluten-free and vegan bakery in Toronto, Ontario. I was lucky enough to enjoy one (okay, two) of their cupcakes at my cousin’s wedding in December. I knew my kids would love a visit to their bakery so they could pick their own cupcakes.

Luckily, Bunner’s recently posted on facebook that they would have gluten-free and vegan Easter Cream Eggs for sale.

Last year I had a hard time finding chocolate Easter candy that my kids could enjoy, so when I saw what Bunner’s was offering (um, yes please vegan Easter Creme Eggs) we took a road trip.

It was worth the trip to Bunner’s, as you can see by Livvie’s cupcake!  The kids LOVED them, just look at that icing!  What’s not to love?

We tasted the cupcakes (obviously), brownies, cookies, and of course the Easter Creme Eggs.

I had a lovely chat with Ashley, one of the owners.  She stole my heart when she said one of her favorite things about running the gluten-free and vegan bakery is watching kids come in and enjoy something delightful.

Bunner’s sells all kinds of delights: bread, cupcakes, muffins, cookies, and much more.  We can’t wait to go back and stock up.  I am anxious for Easter to arrive as those Easter Creme Eggs call my name every time I open the freezer!

Oh, and another reason to love Bunner’s? They use whole-grain gluten-free flours and unrefined sugars in all of their treats.  Heaven, right?

You can find Bunner’s on facebook, on twitter, but you really must get to Toronto and visit their bakery. I can’t wait to go back on a Saturday, around noon, I know we’ll leave with a car-full of goodies.

Have you ever been to a gluten-free bakery?

Danielle April 3, 2012 at 7:15 am

I love Bunner’s Bakery! Their gypsy cookies are so so good. They have also started carrying some of their products at David’s Tea throughout Toronto… In case you are ever close to a David’s Tea!

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 7:43 am

Hey Danielle – Yes, we definitely enjoyed TWO of their gypsy cookies! That’s amazing that David’s Tea carries them. I need to get our local cafe to start carrying their goodies! I wonder if they’ll ship to Peterborough :)

Sher April 3, 2012 at 8:09 am

THANK YOU for sharing !!! I can’t do a road trip but at least I can order some GF V+ goodies!

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Yeah Sher! Order away, you’ll love your goodies!

Kim @ Welcoming Kitchen April 3, 2012 at 8:17 am

Maggie,
Those treats look fantastic!

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Hey Kim – They were fantastic, do you guys have a local gf and vegan bakery?

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free April 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

Maggie, what a fun treat for all of you! Those cupcakes and those sweet little frosting-covered lips look so perfect!! How far away is the bakery from your house? We have a bakery here called Gluten Free Creations that also specializes in all types of other allergies/sensitivities too. We make a little trip across town every now and then as a special treat for the boys! ;) What a great review you did here! :)

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Kim, it was a fun treat for all of us. Of course we did it for the kids ;)
The bakery is about an hour and a half away. We’re thinking of going back on Saturday for some Easter eats! You’re lucky to have a place to take the boys, we’ll have to go when I come for a visit! xo

Annie April 3, 2012 at 11:44 am

Now I have one more reason for a Toronto visit in the spring. Yay!

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Oh Annie you will love it (like you need another reason to visit Toronto!). xo

MsMissy April 3, 2012 at 11:55 am

I looked at their website, what a wonderful place for Vegans and those who only have gluten sensitivities. I personally couldn’t eat a thing they make there (allergic to all legumes and potato as well) but Im glad you & your kids got to enjoy something delicious.

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hey MsMIssy – I love that more of these places are popping up. I’m pretty sure they’re soy-free too. Getting closer to legumes and potato-free! Do you have a local place you can visit?

Loretta Giza April 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm

We have a great bakery in London, Ontario called Organic Works that sounds very similar if anyone is interested. The address is 222 Wellington St. and their web site is http://www.organicworksbakery.com We also have a store in St. Thomas, ONT. called Farmgate market that sells gluten free,additive free, meats eg. sausages , lunchmeat ,shnitzles, all made right there before your eyes.( behind glass )It’s so nice to see these stores doing well and in this economy which shows that we really do care about what we eat and how we feel.

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi Loretta – Thanks for sharing Organic Works. I’ve been there and our local health food store carries their bread. Thank goodness! It’s the best on the market, in my opinion. We’ve also had their cupcakes. Yum! Thanks for sharing these two places. I used to live in London so I know the area well. A piece of my heart is still there :)

Vicky April 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I shall be in Toronto in the Summer…this will be a place to visit!

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Awesome Vicky! I have a few great places to suggest in Toronto so let me know if you need ideas :)

hippie4ever April 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Oooooh! I wish they were closer! That would be quite a road trip…

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Hey Hippie4ever – Where are you located? Do you have a local place? They do online orders, but maybe that’s even too far!

Amanda April 3, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Love this post! It would also be a dream for me to take my little sweetie into a bakery where she could pick anything she wanted!! Wish we lived close enough for a road trip…

Maggie April 3, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Ah Amanda, I hope you find a place you can take your little sweetie soon :)

Carrie April 4, 2012 at 8:46 am

I visited Toronto last week and went to my usual “have to stop” LPK Culinary Groove in Leslieville. On Saturday they had waffle day, which were gluten free/vegan waffles!
They only use local and organic. Their gf nanaimo bars are amazing!
I will add Bunner’s to my list of gf stops.
L’Espresso on bloor st, downtown Toronto is also a must place to visit. Their gf buns are the best I’ve ever had. Great place to have a gf lunch, gf baked goodie and a big pot of tea.

Maggie April 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Carrie – LPK’s is DEFINITELY on my list of must-visit places. My friend regularly brings me their nanaimo bars. I’m afraid to find out what kind of sugar they use in those babies. Man they are delish! I will definitely have to visit L’Espresso too. Are they vegan-friendly? Thanks for the tips!

Lisa April 4, 2012 at 11:31 am

Wonderful post Maggie, sounds super yummy! Now I really need to pay Bunners a visit! Hope to see you in Toronto next time :)

Maggie April 4, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Thanks Lisa, yes we will definitely have to connect in Toronto!

Robert Richards Recipes April 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

No, I have never been to one. But now that it has been brought ot my attention I’m going to seek out one.

Thanks for the info!

Maggie April 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

You’re welcome Richard! Thanks for stopping by :)

Heather April 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Never been to a GF bakery, but I’ve dreamed of starting my own (w/ Paleo options for my friends who eat Paleo!)…don’t know if that will actually ever happen, but hey, I can dream, can’t I?! ;) I’m glad to hear about this bakery, though, it sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Maggie April 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Heather I have a little, quiet dream of starting a bakery too :) Dreaming is awesome, so dream away!

Julie April 14, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Hi! Way over here on the left coast we have Zena’s Bakery (zenasglutenfree.com)offering us gluten free goodies galore!