Vitamin C Green Smoothie

by Maggie on February 13, 2012

We love our morning smoothies. My kids don’t drink one every day, but Pete and I do. We’ve recently gotten my parents hooked too. And my sister!  Who’s next?

Green smoothies rock for so many reasons:

1. You can literally feel your cells lighting up moments after drinking your green smoothie.
2. It’s such a great way to get a salad in you before noon.
3. You can load up your blender with super foods.
4. They’re tasty and you can change them up every time you make them.
5. Smoothies are easy to take on the go.
6. It’s not a heavy breakfast so you won’t start your day feeling tired and sluggish.
7. You won’t miss your sugary morning juice when you have a smoothie.
8. It’s a great way to show your body how much you love it.

We’ve been adding greens to our smoothies for over a year now.  It’s such a great start to the day.

I generally drink my smoothie on an empty stomach when I wake up, and then I have a mid-morning snack around 10:30am or so.

Recently I’ve been buying organic oranges at our local grocery store. One day I decided to throw an entire orange into the blender with the rest of our smoothie ingredients. Voila, this recipe was born.

As a former orange juice addict, I knew I had to share it with you. The juice in our grocery stores (even the good organic stuff) has lost most of the nutrients, and has added sugar. Weaning yourself off juice is a great way to start limiting your sugar intake. This smoothie will come in handy since it tastes like you’ve used orange juice.

Oh and if you feel a cold coming on, make yourself one of these as soon as possible. It’s loaded with vitamin c (thanks to the orange and the goji berries).

Vitamin C Smoothie

Take a look at this list of ingredients.  Imagine the health benefits!

2 cups water (use apple cider if you’re new to green smoothies)
¼ cup goji berries
1 small orange chopped into chunks (chop the ends off but leave the peel on)
½ cup of frozen blueberries
1/4-1/2 banana chopped into chunks (frozen is fine)
½ cup frozen mango
2 cups greens (I like baby spinach, kale or romaine)
1 tbsp ground chia
1 tsp spirulina

Add water to blender or immersion blender container. Add goji berries and let sit for a couple of minutes while you compile the rest of your ingredients. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you may want to let the goji berries soak for a little longer.

Add orange, blueberries, banana, mango, greens, chia and spirulina. Blend until well combined.

I also like to add in 1 tsp of gelatinized maca powder. It’s great for workout recovery and energy, it improves libido, and it has been linked to fertility.

Yield: 2 adult-sized green smoothies & 2 preschooler-sized smoothies

If you’re a green smoothie beginner you might want to read this post first.

You’ll need to listen to this song while you’re making your morning smoothies.

I am incredibly grateful for all of your votes and all of your support in the Circle of Moms Top 25 Vegan & Vegetarian Moms contest! The voting ends tomorrow so please click through to give me one more vote! Thank you so much. Click here to vote.

Kalinda February 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Wow, a whole orange! I just started green smoothies for breakfast about a month or so ago. I’ll have to give it a try.

(As a side note, you don’t include the orange in the instructions.)

Maggie February 13, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hi Kalinda. Thanks so much for catching that! I will send you your editing fee ASAP :). If you’re an orange lover than I know you’ll love this.

Kalinda February 13, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Ha, I think it happens to us all sooner or later.

Alta February 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I’ve thrown orange, peel and all, in smoothies before! Love it! I also love that you rocked the green smoothie that isn’t bright green in color on that last photo. Truth is, a LOT of my green smoothies look like that – somewhat muddy. Doesn’t mean they don’t taste (and feel!) amazing – the color is just…”natural.” I would love to try your combo!

Maggie February 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Yes Alta, I rocked the green green green smoothie! I was hesitant, but why hide that natural goodness :) You’re right, they do taste so amazing!

Ricki February 13, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Sounds like a terrific smoothie. I usually have my spirulina mixed with flax and chia (like a chia pudding, almost), but have yet to put it in a smoothie, believe it or not! I wonder if I could slip it past the HH this way (he won’t touch the stuff)? ;)

Maggie February 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Thank you Ricki! You definitely need to put it into a smoothie. Tomorrow! And yep, you’ll hide it from HH. Just start out with maybe 1/2 tsp. Go easy on him :)

Cara February 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

About a month ago one of Ben’s customers sent us a bunch of oranges from Florida. Since I don’t eat much whole fruit (besides berries) and I’m not a juicer, I wasn’t sure what to do with them. I think Ben has eaten most of them by now but if there are any hanging around I’m definitely going to try them in a smoothie :) And by the way, I love your picture of the oranges!

Maggie February 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm

What? Cara, you love my picture! Yay :) xo

Amber February 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Looks delish Maggie! Smoothies are the best in the morning. I’m not a coffee drinker and I would much rather start my day with a healthy smoothie. Love learning new recipes. Great job!

Maggie February 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Thanks Amber! I adore my morning smoothie too.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free February 14, 2012 at 9:59 am

I love this recipe, Maggie! We have orange trees growing all around us so oranges are always only an arm’s reach away, literally. I add them to smoothies pretty often around here, just for that reason. My in-laws even have a blood orange tree that makes our smoothies taste amazing!! I love all of the yummy goodness that this smoothie has. I think, since I have just about everything on hand, this might be our afternoon snack! And I had to laugh at Alta talking about the color in the last picture. Mine always always look that color. It amazes me that my kids drink them because nine times out of ten mine are usually more of a brown color than anything else. LOL Maybe they are thinking that there is chocolate in them. :) And I love all of your reasons for drinking green smoothies, by the way.
xo
k

Maggie February 16, 2012 at 7:49 am

I am so envious of your orange trees Kim! I can’t imagine. xo

Samantha February 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm

we love green smoothies!! Best way to get the greens in!!! I add chlorella to mine!!

Maggie February 16, 2012 at 7:49 am

Hey Samantha,
I need to get my hands on chlorella. It would be good to switch it up every now and then. Thanks for sharing!

Matt February 15, 2012 at 9:10 am

looks great and tastes amazing! thanks so much for posting this :)

Maggie February 16, 2012 at 7:48 am

Thanks Matt! I’m glad you enjoyed it. Have a great day.

Joann@womaninreallife February 16, 2012 at 8:24 am

I wish my blender could handle a whole orange. Organic oranges are amazing. I have never had one that tastes bad!

Maggie February 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi Joann – I wish your blender could too :) What if you cut it up really well? Too much work maybe! Organic oranges are indeed delicious!

Shirley @ gfe February 16, 2012 at 10:02 am

I’ve added a blood orange to my green smoothie the last two days because of this post, Maggie! I don’t always like orange in my smoothie, but it brightened the ones of the last two days and I do love those nutritional bennies. Mine have been sort of mid green of late, but they run the range of greens to green-brown let me tell you. It doesn’t bother me though. ;-) Today’s smoothie was a banana, date water (from soaking dates in boiling water for a recipe), blood orange, about 1/3 of a sweet potato (cooked), probably 2 cups of baby spinach, some almond milk, and some almond flour. YUM! I like the flavors in yours, especially the mango. :-)

Maggie February 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Thanks Shirley, now I’ll be on the lookout for blood oranges. The only time I’ve ever had them was in a blood orange cheesecake and it was fabulous! I also need to try sweet potatoes in my smoothies. So many ideas!

danielle @Fresh4Five February 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I am on a smoothie kick these days also! Now I want to add an orange! This sounds so delicious, grrrr having a latex fruit allergy!

Faye Weissbaum February 22, 2012 at 9:23 am

What a great find! Ive been gf for 10 years and dairy free for 2 months. Thanks to Gluten Free Diva for sending me the link! Can’t wait to try your recipes!

theholistichealthcoach February 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm

This recipe sounds so energizing and delicious! I am always looking for different smoothie recipes to switch things up for breakfast or lunch. Thank you for sharing, I can’t wait to try it!

Maggie February 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Thanks! I’m so glad you like it, I like to switch things up too.
Maggie

Anita Husevåg April 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Do you get an effect from the spirulina when mixed with the oranges?
Ive always been told not to mix spirulina with citrus-fruits.

Maggie April 2, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Hi Anita – I’ve never had problems when the spirulina is mixed with oranges. Just more yummy flavor :)