Homemade Rustic Vegetable Soup

by Maggie on January 27, 2012

I’m hosting January’s Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten-Free event – the theme this month is Foods That Heal.

At the beginning of the month I shared my recipe for our Oh-Mega Mix.  As January ends, I want to share my recipe for homemade rustic vegetable soup.  It’s a pretty simple recipe, but my kids love it and that makes mealtime so much easier.

We always make a batch of soup when someone in the house is feeling under the weather with a cold.  Soups are fast, nutritious, and well-liked by our entire family.

I’ve recently started making my own homemade vegetable broth.  Every time I’m chopping up veggies, I add the scraps to a bag in the freezer.  Once the bag fills up, I throw it all in pot, cover it with water, and let it simmer for a few hours.  It usually makes enough broth for a batch of soup.  And in the Wintertime, we like to have soup at least once a week.

I like making soup for my kids because I can sneak in veggies that they wouldn’t otherwise eat.  As long as I throw some gluten-free pasta in there, they’ll eat it!

Homemade Rustic Vegetable Soup

This makes a huge batch of soup so it’s perfect for entertaining or batch cooking.

2 tbsp water for sautéing the veggies
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 medium-sized beets, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 small can of diced tomatoes (14 fl oz)
6 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 ½ cups cooked chick peas
1 bunch of broccoli, chopped (stems and all)
1 tbsp freshly chopped basil
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
Sea salt or Herbamare and freshly ground pzepper to taste
2 cups cooked gluten-free pasta (optional)

Heat water in a large pot.  Add chopped onion and garlic.  Saute for 3 minutes until onion is soft.

Add carrots, beets, and celery.  Saute for another 3 minutes and add tomatoes, broth and water.  Let mixture come to a boil.  Turn to medium-low heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.

Add chick peas, broccoli, herbs and let cook for another 5-10 minutes, until broccoli reaches desired tenderness.  Season with salt and pepper, add pasta and serve.

I love soup the next day so this soup will get even better with some time to sit and marry.  Feel free to cook a day ahead.  You may need to add more water.

I have been nominated for a Circle of Moms Top 25 Vegan & Vegetarian Moms award!  I would love YOUR vote.  You can vote every 24 hours until February 14th.  Thank you so much for your support. Click here to vote.

glutenfreeforgood January 27, 2012 at 10:03 am

I know what you mean about soup tasting better the next day. I’m even a fan of soup for breakfast and this looks like a nice, healthy, early morning meal. What a great way to start a winter day and Friday is the perfect day to make up a big batch of soup for the weekend. You’ve inspired me!

Maggie January 27, 2012 at 11:46 am

You know what Melissa, I’ve never had soup for breakfast. I need to do it for sure! I’m still stuck in that “this is what we have for breakfast” stage. Time to move on baby! And just like that, you’ve inspired me! Synchronicity baby!

Ricki January 27, 2012 at 10:57 am

Just what I’ve been craving these days!! Love the addition of chickpeas, too. So yummy and filling!

Maggie January 27, 2012 at 11:47 am

It is a filling soup Ricki. If your weather is anything like ours right now, then soup’s for dinner!

Tracy January 27, 2012 at 10:58 am

Yummy, my one son loves, loves soup but he is allergic to peas and legumes and all the gf soups these days include these things.
I was wondering once you put your “scrap” vegetables in the pot to make vegetable stock you strain it, right? Do scraps include the stock, the ends of carrots and zucchinni? thaks so much!!! tracy

Maggie January 27, 2012 at 11:50 am

Hi Tracy – You could obviously leave out the chick peas and basically sub in for the other ingredients if he’s allergic to anything else. I do strain it, but you could I blend it all up and use it that way I think. I haven’t used zucchini yet, but no I throw the little nubs of carrot out usually. I buy organic veggies so I just wash and scrub my veggies, no peeling. Have you seen Kim’s post at The Balanced Platter? http://balancedplatter.com/an-easy-step-to-healthier-eating-using-a-soup-base/ I love this idea and can’t wait to try it.

Alta January 27, 2012 at 1:33 pm

This sounds so nourishing and tasty!

Maggie January 28, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Thanks Alta!

Pat Yarbrough January 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I like your idea of putting the scraps from cutting vegetables aside for making soup. This one sure does look delicious!

Maggie January 28, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Thanks Pat. It’s working well so far!

Annie January 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Looks so yummy Mags! And look at you in third place! How cool is that!? I’m trying my very best to remember to vote every day.

PS The balanced platter rocks!

Maggie January 28, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Thanks Annie. You’re the best. xo

Rogene Robbins January 28, 2012 at 7:30 am

Now that’s my kind of soup! We eat soup all winter long and we really like a nice hearty one with lots of veggies. I’m pretty much a just throw stuff into the soup pot and see what I get kind of person, but your combination sounds really good. Think I’m going to have to try it.

Maggie January 28, 2012 at 1:11 pm

That’s how we normally cook soup too Rogene. Ya never know what you’re going to get. I love it!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free January 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

I am a firm believer that ALL soups taste better the next day. And I HAVE actually eaten soup for breakfast many times. :) It is such a great way to start the day. I have been trying to get myself out of the mentality of what is considered to be normal breakfast food. So sometimes I just have dinner for breakfast and then breakfast for dinner. I am such a rule breaker!! Somebody better stop me! LOL :)

Maggie January 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thanks Kim! I’m working on getting out of that mentality! You are a wild girl, aren’t you? Hehe. xo

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free January 28, 2012 at 10:17 am

Oh. And I also hit submit before I finished telling you that I think this soup sounds absolutely amazing!! I love the combination of flavors!! My kids would love this one. xo

Vicky January 28, 2012 at 10:45 am

This soup is SO me! Awesome recipe Maggie! I love the fact you’ve not used oil and using water instead! I learnt that trick when I went to see the film Planeat! Fruit and veggie juices are also great to saute the onions in and add an extra dimension to the recipe! I do still tend to reach for the bottle of evoo in most instances, habit I guess! I will be making this, thank you!

Maggie January 28, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Thanks Vicky! I try to remember to do the water trick as often as possible :) I love the idea of doing it with fruit and veggie juices. Thanks for sharing that tip!

Shirley @ gfe January 30, 2012 at 5:20 am

Soup is absolutely better the next day! Time gives those flavors time to meld and the result is fabulous. First-day soup always taste a bit “green,” if you know what I mean. ;-) Your soup looks fantastic, Maggie. Smoothies and soup are my favorite ways to get in mega veggies. :-)

xoxo,

Maggie January 30, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Yes Shirley, I like the word meld! And I totally know what you mean. That’s why serving soup for a get-together is great. It’s one thing you can do the day before!

Matt January 31, 2012 at 11:11 am

that soup sounds (looks too) amazing, definitely going to give it a shot

Maggie January 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Thanks Matt! Let me know what you think.

Sandra January 31, 2012 at 4:35 pm

This is cooking as I type Maggie! It smells great:) It is completely pink from the beets though, so I hope I can pass if off to the kids as Valentine’s Day soup or something:) Did you use beets in your picture above? If so, I need your secret for keeping the broth un-pink:)

Maggie January 31, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Yay Sandra! I’m so glad. I bet the kids will love pink soup! I think mine isn’t pink because I get mixed beets at my Farmer’s Market – yellow, pink that doesn’t bleed, and red. So that batch likely had more yellow and pink than red ones. That’s my secret :) Let me know how it goes over.

Annie January 31, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Maggie this soup is so good. I made it tonight and we topped it with soft goat’s cheese, a squeeze of lime and fresh pepper. Even Kyle was raving (which is pretty huge…he’s not super easy to please!). Quincy however was being a monkey and was much more interested in the bread and butter. Can’t wait to have it again for tomorrow’s lunch!

Maggie January 31, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Hey Annie – I am flattered, you mean the chef was raving? Okay, whose idea was the lime? That’s SMART! I gotta admit, I’m kind of with Quincy on this one. The carb lover in me LOVES bread and coconut oil with my soup. Miss you. xo

Annie February 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Actually the lime was my idea! haha The chef’s not the only one around this place with good ideas. I’m a bit addicted to lime as of late though…it pretty much goes on everything.

PS Kyle got an amazing job! Yay, can’t wait to tell you all about it